Picture Of The Day

jjdog2

Re: Picture Of The Day
« Reply #2700 on: 15 Mar 2014, 07:25 pm »

bside123

« Reply #2701 on: 16 Mar 2014, 02:21 am »

jjdog2, somehow I thought if you were that close to a bear... it was too close!? Focal length?

jjdog2

« Reply #2702 on: 16 Mar 2014, 05:47 pm »
jjdog2, somehow I thought if you were that close to a bear... it was too close!? Focal length?

Was hiking the Frazier Discovery Trail in the Shenandoah National Park late last Fall and came around a curve and ran into Mom and two cubs, about 40" away.

Jim

JakeJ

« Reply #2703 on: 16 Mar 2014, 06:26 pm »
40 INCHES!!

So I'm guessing you had to step behind a tree to change your shorts after that encounter.

jjdog2

« Reply #2704 on: 16 Mar 2014, 07:35 pm »
40 INCHES!!

So I'm guessing you had to step behind a tree to change your shorts after that encounter.

Yes I prefer to take all my wildlife shots in Marco-mode.   :lol:  Sorry about that, 40 feet.

bside123

« Reply #2705 on: 17 Mar 2014, 02:59 am »
Yes I prefer to take all my wildlife shots in Marco-mode.   :lol:  Sorry about that, 40 feet.

Black Bears can reach speeds in excess of 30mph. At 40 feet, that would take less than a second to chomp you. Like I said... a wee bit close. Nonetheless, very cool.

I once had a 10ft python cross my path while squatting in an outdoor latrine in rural India. Sorry no camera. Again... to close.  :nono:

jjdog2

« Reply #2706 on: 17 Mar 2014, 02:50 pm »
Bringing Home the Green.

One for Saint Patrick's Day, taken Saturday.

charmerci

« Reply #2707 on: 17 Mar 2014, 06:56 pm »
Black Bears can reach speeds in excess of 30mph. At 40 feet, that would take less than a second to chomp you. Like I said... a wee bit close. Nonetheless, very cool.

I also saw a momma black bear and her two cubs on the trail in the Appalachians years ago. This really is pretty dangerous especially if you get in between. But they don't see very well. The first thing that I did was lick my finger and held it up to determine the direction of the wind. Their sense of smell is excellent. When I determined that the wind was coming from their direction, I knew I was safe. I sat down, didn't move and enjoyed the show. One of the best experiences of my life watching a cub lie on its back and scratch its belly!  :thumb:

jjdog2

« Reply #2708 on: 18 Mar 2014, 12:19 am »
I also saw a momma black bear and her two cubs on the trail in the Appalachians years ago. This really is pretty dangerous especially if you get in between. But they don't see very well. The first thing that I did was lick my finger and held it up to determine the direction of the wind. Their sense of smell is excellent. When I determined that the wind was coming from their direction, I knew I was safe. I sat down, didn't move and enjoyed the show. One of the best experiences of my life watching a cub lie on its back and scratch its belly!  :thumb:

I know what you mean.

Have gotten to see Grizzles in the west and many Blacks in the Great Smoky Mountains and this encounter in Shenandoah National Park was a treat.

Always give them the respect they deserve.

Jim

bside123

« Reply #2709 on: 18 Mar 2014, 04:04 am »
Solar Panels by day... Lunar Panels by Night  8)

A view of our farm's renewable energy system working overtime under the full moon. Lunatic Power!

30 second exposure

Lunar Panels

Guy 13

« Reply #2710 on: 18 Mar 2014, 05:06 am »
Hi bside123.
You will need a lot more of those to even power a 60 watts bulb. :lol:

Guy 13

gnuyork

« Reply #2711 on: 18 Mar 2014, 11:18 am »
I got some video of a momma bear and two or three cubs from The Grand Teton National Park. It was quite something to watch. In this day in age of cell phones, word got around Quick!! Within 30 minutes half the park was there snapping pictures and ruining my sound. I'll have to dig them up from my HD sometime and post some clips.

gnuyork

« Reply #2712 on: 18 Mar 2014, 11:37 am »
Here are some frame grabs from the video.

« Last Edit: 18 Mar 2014, 03:08 pm by gnuyork »

Guy 13

« Reply #2713 on: 18 Mar 2014, 12:30 pm »
Hi gnuyork.
Very nice and even a little scaring... :o

Guy 13

bside123

« Reply #2714 on: 18 Mar 2014, 12:56 pm »
gnuyork:

Great captures of the bears. Brings a whole new meaning to "street photography."  :o

jjdog2

« Reply #2715 on: 18 Mar 2014, 01:47 pm »
Here are some frame grabs from the video.

Nice, enjoyed viewing.

Jim

charmerci

« Reply #2716 on: 18 Mar 2014, 03:18 pm »
Well, as they say, as long as you can run faster than the guy next you, you're safe!

jjdog2

« Reply #2717 on: 18 Mar 2014, 04:33 pm »
Well, as they say, as long as you can run faster than the guy next you, you're safe!

In my case just faster than the wife.  :lol:

gnuyork

« Reply #2718 on: 19 Mar 2014, 11:45 am »

LOL!

BobM

« Reply #2719 on: 19 Mar 2014, 12:34 pm »
Was in Sequoia a few years ago with the wife and kids. The bears around the major areas there are fairly used to the tourists, or so we were told. So the last morning of our visit, before we moved on, my wife and I got up early and left the kids sleeping. We went to a local field that we had kiked the day before and saw a momma and her cub from about 30'.

We rounded a corner of the trail and heard rustling. I stepped up on a nearby tree stump and saw them in the tall grass so damn close. I snapped a picture and momma got up on her hind legs. She checked us out, then got back down and moved along deeper into the grassland.  We stayed very still as she checked us out.

Awesome experience, however I think once that close is definitely enough.