Picture Of The Day

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
Re: Picture Of The Day
« Reply #2480 on: 10 Oct 2013, 02:23 am »
Yep. You look pretty happy, too. Very cool photo.  :D

My expression was based on the fact that he quietly expressed concern that he wouldn't be able to bring me back up.
I'm a couple inches taller than him, but in the image, I'm shorter due to the fact I bent my knees to accommodate his fear.
The 150 or so onlookers knew what I had done and why, and uproarious laughter ensued the exact moment the photo was taken. 
I chose to be last out of my family, standing on the right side.

Thanks Jerry.   :D

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #2481 on: 10 Oct 2013, 02:27 am »
Memorable; that's the way it should be.  :thumb:

As for your family, Wow the "Little Guy" has gotten big, huh?!?   :o

Thanks for sharing, Bob.

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #2482 on: 10 Oct 2013, 04:06 am »
Is it just me, or has this Thread lost it's "Sticky"?  :scratch:

Scott F.

« Reply #2483 on: 10 Oct 2013, 11:29 am »
You know what it is?  ;)

Yep, the cleansing waters  :angel: ..and in the river to boot! Congrats :thumb:

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #2484 on: 10 Oct 2013, 11:32 am »

God bless those who were baptized.
Unfortunately I have no photos of this day.

PeteG

« Reply #2485 on: 10 Oct 2013, 12:59 pm »
Yep, the cleansing waters  :angel: ..and in the river to boot! Congrats :thumb:

A big +1  :thumb:

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #2486 on: 10 Oct 2013, 01:09 pm »
Thanks guys. Yea, I wondered how many would know what was going on there. My family of four voiced our desire to be Baptized, and the Pastor voiced his desire to perform a good ol fashion river Baptism. When all was said and done, a total of 16 people were Baptized including us four

Yea Brother!   :thumb:

Bob

p.s. Jerry, I don't think this thread was ever a sticky. I think we just kept it up there real high on the list.

Brad

« Reply #2487 on: 10 Oct 2013, 04:21 pm »
Snowbird, ski area near Salt Lake City

bside123

« Reply #2488 on: 26 Oct 2013, 05:42 pm »
Flying high and flying low... Night Flyers on the streets of Uttara, a District of Dhaka, Bangladesh. I'll be in Bangladesh on business until next weekend.

Night Flyers Bus

Night Flyers Rickshaw

bside123

« Reply #2489 on: 28 Oct 2013, 08:33 pm »
Welcome To Infinity - Dhaka, Bangladesh

Here's a place of interest for those of you that might have been looking... By the way, if this is for real... I might on this business trip much longer than expected!

Welcome To Infinity

bside123

« Reply #2490 on: 30 Oct 2013, 03:14 am »
Just after sunrise, a poor, elderly man says his prayers over a fresh grave in Dhaka, Bangladesh's oldest, historic graveyard.

Sunrise Prayers for the Dead

Jon L

« Reply #2491 on: 30 Oct 2013, 05:26 am »
Thing is... both are girls  :o

EOSD0023 by drjlo1, on Flickr

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #2492 on: 30 Oct 2013, 08:42 am »
What an excellent, atmospheric picture, bside123.

stlrman

« Reply #2493 on: 30 Oct 2013, 05:59 pm »
Nice bside!! Agree with Russel

bside123

« Reply #2494 on: 30 Oct 2013, 06:35 pm »
Thanks guys! I really hope that I am not overstaying my welcome here or posting too many photos, but I am seeing many remarkable images during my trip to Bangladesh. Let me know if I need to back off with the postings.

While many of us have the luxury to argue about gear, music, power cords and room treatment... while we bicker about soundstage, accuracy, timbre and likeness to live performance... most of the world braces itself to barely survive. This is very "live," and it is not a performance of a human proportion. I'm sure that this homeless soul is not wearing a set of cans (headphones) or listening to an iPod under his/her blanket.

I don't know who they are, as I never saw the face of this homeless person, whose only possession seems to be a blanket on the streets of one of the poorest cities in the world. An outline of a life. Haunting!

It demands from us a serious cause to pause and give thanks.

All Dressed Up & Nowhere To Go
« Last Edit: 30 Oct 2013, 08:31 pm by bside123 »

JakeJ

« Reply #2495 on: 30 Oct 2013, 08:24 pm »
bside123,

Outstanding images from your travels.  IMO you can't post enough of them no matter how stark they may be.  I would ask that any other international members and travelers post photos from their locale as well.  Guy13 this is a call out to you too.  I do not have the means to travel either for work or pleasure and I live vicariously through your images.  Yes, I "travel" as much as I can via the internet but somehow that doesn't pack the punch that it does here.  Feels more personal even though I don't know you personally, if that makes any sense.  I can say that a good part of it is the haunting images that have more impact.  Tourism websites and most media (i.e. news, etc) don't include reality as it doesn't sell.  Although National Geographic does a decent job of it.

Thank you, again.

Jake

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #2496 on: 30 Oct 2013, 08:26 pm »
Ditto that.  :thumb:
Thanks Jake.

charmerci

« Reply #2497 on: 31 Oct 2013, 05:18 pm »
bside,

I'm lovin' 'em!

bside123

« Reply #2498 on: 1 Nov 2013, 03:48 am »
On a much lighter note, here's a couple of sweet, street portraits.

A common "beauty and health" practice among aging men in the Indian Sub-continent, is the use of henna (mendhi) in the hair. Not only is the use of henna reported to have beneficial effects for the health of the hair and scalp, these men apparently believe that it is handsome. Through the eyes of a westerner, it has a "Bozo" the clown appearance.

Women use henna in their hair while they are young and the hair is still black. It then produces a subtle highlight. Mendhi is also used to mark decorations, like temporary tattoos, on the hands, arms and feet. Muslim men feel that henna is "holy" and believe that is was used by the Prophet Muhammad as a hair rinse. The problem is... that when it is washed into grey/white hair... it turns orange.

Happy Halloween from Bangladesh everybody! :thumb:

Red Goatee

untitled-22-4.jpg

JakeJ

« Reply #2499 on: 1 Nov 2013, 07:39 am »
Nice shots, bside!  I really like the composition of the first one with the gentleman on the left side of the frame and the rickshaw center background and out of focus.  Interesting tidbit about henna's use in the east.  I am sure all are aware of its use here in the west for hair and as a temporary tattoo mostly available at music festivals and art events.  I've seen amazing artwork put into some tattoos.