Picture Of The Day

bside123

Re: Picture Of The Day
« Reply #2360 on: 15 Sep 2013, 11:00 pm »
I recently just got my first external flash. I have never been a "flash" photographer, so I have been experimenting with it. I've literally taken only a handful of photos with it, so here is one of the few new shots with the new flash... Wow! Flash is a whole new world of photography. Lot's to learn.  :o

Jon L

« Reply #2361 on: 16 Sep 2013, 06:14 pm »
I recently just got my first external flash. I have never been a "flash" photographer, so I have been experimenting with it. I've literally taken only a handful of photos with it, so here is one of the few new shots with the new flash... Wow! Flash is a whole new world of photography. Lot's to learn.  :o

Yup, once speedlites/strobes get involved, artistic possibilities (and foibles) expand exponentially.
Your photo looks interesting with subject motion frozen by flash and background dark, and it also demonstrates some of the difficulties flash photography can present if a different look was desired, e.g. if one wanted the room and people in background to be seen more and possibly more even spread of light from head to legs of multiple mains subject in front, especially if softer lighting was desired. 

This is when we end up buying multiple speedlites and various light modifiers, then wireless triggers, etc..

jupiterboy

« Reply #2362 on: 17 Sep 2013, 02:46 pm »

Guy 13

« Reply #2363 on: 17 Sep 2013, 02:59 pm »
Hi jupiterboy and all Audio Circle members.
Do you have more similar to this one.
Really nice picture, I like it.

Guy 13

jupiterboy

« Reply #2364 on: 17 Sep 2013, 04:25 pm »
Thanks. I have located my foot for my tripod, so I need to do some night shots. Very common subject, but what can I say? I love valves.

viggen

« Reply #2365 on: 17 Sep 2013, 04:38 pm »
... a slight detour on the drive home from Newport Beach

I live right next to Newport Beach.  That doesn't look like it's close to Newport Beach... it is even in the same state?

mikeeastman

« Reply #2366 on: 18 Sep 2013, 02:53 pm »
Can you just shovel the food straight  into my mouth?  :thumb:

Don_S

Yellowstone National Park
« Reply #2367 on: 19 Sep 2013, 07:44 pm »
Here are a few of the pictures I took earlier this month. I will post more if members would like that.  Some are posted because I think they are good photos.  Others are posted just to show the magnitude of Yellowstone. At least as much as can be captured with a single photo.  I did not know how to down sample the photos so I was at the mercy of the AC program.  My photos actually are much crisper. Some how the posts here look "plastic". They were shot at the 7mpx setting on my Sony DSC-H5. It is a pretty sweet little camera to carry all day on hikes. What I missed most was the ability to use a polarizer.

My favorite hike was to two geysers about 3-3.5 miles from the trailhead.  I was caught in a thunderstorm on the way back.  I got wet and cold and had a fantastic time.  I was the only one on the trail and it felt wild.  Especially when I skirted a large thermal basin.  The cool, moist air caused the steam to linger in huge low clouds just above the basin floor.  Some of the plumes had a slight orange or pink tinge.  It was either reflected light or bacteria and minerals transported aloft by the steam. Sorry, no pictures of that.  My camera was safely stowed in my pack to keep it dry.

I will break this posting into two parts.

Don_S

Yellowstone National Park Part Deux
« Reply #2368 on: 19 Sep 2013, 07:50 pm »

JakeJ

« Reply #2369 on: 19 Sep 2013, 08:12 pm »
Very cool shots, Don_S.  More, please!  Love the primordial feel those photos give.

Don_S

« Reply #2370 on: 19 Sep 2013, 08:29 pm »
Thanks Jake,

I will post more this weekend.  Right now I have to get ready for a bike ride.

My barren shots were meant to capture the near desolation caused by the thermal activity. Primordial?  Pictures don't begin to describe.  I hiked by some stinky (sulfur) mud pits in the back country and was again amazed at the scale. Warnings were posted for bears but I was looking for dinosaurs.  :o

e
Very cool shots, Don_S.  More, please!  Love the primordial feel those photos give.

Russell Dawkins

Re: Yellowstone National Park
« Reply #2371 on: 19 Sep 2013, 08:46 pm »
What I missed most was the ability to use a polarizer.
Won't a standard 58mm polarizing filter work? They're only about $13 at B&H. DP Review says this on page two of their review of this camera:
"Sony supplies a lens adaptor ring (which allows the use of 58mm filters and tele/wide adaptors) and a bayonet lens hood in the box with the H5."

Those are wonderful photos, by the way, and if you want to display them bigger, follow this advice given to me by another member of AC:
"I joined an outside web service for photogs called "Photobucket." It's free. I first post my photos to photo bucket. Then I control the size and rez to my liking, and then I paste the IMG link into the AC reply box. The AC server accesses my photo from Photobucket NOT from the AC Gallery."

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #2372 on: 19 Sep 2013, 09:08 pm »
Photobucket is awesome.

I've also got a BUNCH of Yellowstone photos. I love that place.

bside123

« Reply #2373 on: 19 Sep 2013, 11:47 pm »
Bangladeshi Beach Hawkers
Cox's Bazaar at the Bay of Bengal

bside123

« Reply #2374 on: 20 Sep 2013, 12:02 am »
Hey, I know a lot of you are pretty good cooks with your backyard grills and such, but... have any of you ever been to one of these!?

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #2375 on: 20 Sep 2013, 12:15 am »
No I haven't (other than my own). But I'm thinking that may be a toll call from St. Louis.  :lol:

bside123

« Reply #2376 on: 20 Sep 2013, 12:18 am »
No I haven't (other than my own). But I'm thinking that may be a toll call from St. Louis.  :lol:

Bob,

Do you also conduct real "Live" BBQ at your house in St. Louis? If you do... just let me know when. I'll be sure to make the drive up from Carbondale, no problem. :thumb:

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #2377 on: 20 Sep 2013, 12:26 am »
I do "live" fairly often. Not too much of it is "public" though.  :lol:
Although I have day dreamed about hosting a GAS BBQ.  :thumb:

bside123

« Reply #2378 on: 20 Sep 2013, 12:29 am »
I do "live" fairly often. Not too much of it is "public" though.  :lol:
Although I have day dreamed about hosting a GAS BBQ.  :thumb:

Live BBQ is horrifically noisy, not to mention the mess and other hassles such as the neighbors and the authorities.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #2379 on: 20 Sep 2013, 12:35 am »
I'm far enough out in the woods, that I'm not concerned with neighbors or authorities.  :D