« Reply #920 on: 26 Aug 2009, 03:46 am »
Olympus E-1

handheld shot at the B&O railroad museum in Baltimore

Washington DC

Smithsonian Botanic Garden

SET Man

Re: Picture Of The Day
« Reply #921 on: 26 Aug 2009, 04:42 am »
Some pics from the British Virgin Island of Virgin Gorda.

Hey!

Nice and interesting shot. But can you actually make a call from that phone boot?  :D

Here's a bit of a rarity for you - pinhole macro photography:

It's a back-lit tomato slice taken with my medium form factor 24mm focal length pinhole (0.15mm diameter hole) at a distance of about 24mm from the pinhole (1:1 macro).

Super cool, who needs expensive macro lens right?  8)

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

Pez

« Reply #922 on: 26 Aug 2009, 06:10 pm »
My wife and baby girl Ryah.

Taken with my Nikon D300 w/ 50mm 1.8f.

Best picture I've ever taken.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #923 on: 26 Aug 2009, 06:16 pm »
Neat shot Pez!!
Very cool.  :thumb:

Hmm....Sounds like a great subject for a new thread in Eye-Fidelity.
"The best picture you've ever taken".  aa

Bob

p.s. I'm a little surprised one of my pics didn't get any comments or questions.
It's a bit of a strange photo, thought for sure someone would have questioned it by now.

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #924 on: 26 Aug 2009, 07:35 pm »
Neat shot Pez!!
Very cool.  :thumb:

Hmm....Sounds like a great subject for a new thread in Eye-Fidelity.
"The best picture you've ever taken".  aa

Bob

p.s. I'm a little surprised one of my pics didn't get any comments or questions.
It's a bit of a strange photo, thought for sure someone would have questioned it by now.

OK I'll bite...shadow of a lizard walking on the window sill?

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #925 on: 26 Aug 2009, 07:54 pm »
Yea, I suppose it wasn't all that much of a mystery after all.  :duh:
It's the shadow of a lizard an oak window sill. You can see the screen shadow on the wood grain as well. I though it was cool, but then Brad had to show me up with his damn tomato.  :lol:

Bob

16hz lover

« Reply #926 on: 26 Aug 2009, 08:08 pm »
nice pics - how long was your stay? First pic is a plant that should have had multiple hummingbirds around it. Do you know if that is that a man made buffer in the little lagoon?

Stayed 2 weeks last August then went back in May for my daughters wedding........the coral buffer is all natural my friend :D

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #927 on: 26 Aug 2009, 08:28 pm »
View from the Deer Park Ranger Station to  Obstruction Point trail.  Olympic Mountains- Washington State.

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #928 on: 26 Aug 2009, 08:32 pm »
Yea, I suppose it wasn't all that much of a mystery after all.  :duh:
It's the shadow of a lizard an oak window sill. You can see the screen shadow on the wood grain as well. I though it was cool, but then Brad had to show me up with his damn tomato.  :lol:

Bob

Yeah I've seen my share of lizards - around here there are plenty of anolis carolinensis and my brain can id that shape anywhere :)

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #929 on: 26 Aug 2009, 08:33 pm »
One more from the same area.

BikeWNC

« Reply #930 on: 26 Aug 2009, 09:50 pm »

American Kestrel -  Canon 5D MkII

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #931 on: 27 Aug 2009, 02:15 am »

American Kestrel -  Canon 5D MkII

Geeze, Bike, what a great pic!  :thumb:

Thanks for sharing that one!
Jerry

nathanm

« Reply #932 on: 27 Aug 2009, 04:40 pm »
That's one stately looking bird.  The little bit of "eyebrow" gives him a nice stern expression.

Browntrout

« Reply #933 on: 1 Sep 2009, 09:48 am »
More perhaps pictures of the day gone by...
This is my Grandfather in the back seat on the left.

This is him as a child on a motorbike in 1922

Here is my Great Grandmother

My Great Grandfather, Great Grandmother and Grandfather on the right.

Finally my Great Grandfather during the Great War. (right rear)

BikeWNC

« Reply #934 on: 1 Sep 2009, 01:25 pm »
Wow, Browntrout, those are treasures!

SET Man

« Reply #935 on: 1 Sep 2009, 03:19 pm »
Hey!

Yup, Browntrout, those are truly treasures and a family heirloom. :D

I personally love to look at old photos like these and see how people and things were back than before my time.

Please preserve and archival them... in a good acid free sleeve of album and make a good scan and put them on these....

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/428938-REG/Delkin_Devices_DDCD_R_SA_25_SPINDLE_Archival_Gold_SA_CD_R.html#features

... for your future generations to see. :D

Thank you for sharing your family treasures. :D

Take care,

Browntrout

« Reply #936 on: 1 Sep 2009, 05:44 pm »
Thanks BikeWNC and SET Man. I only saw these for the first time some six months ago after my mother made a concerted effort to quiz my grandmother about the family. Thanks for the advice on storage, at the moment they are just stuffed in a large envelope.
  I don't know what it's like for others and maybe it is because I have her blood in me but I could look at the one of my great grandmother for ages, and do. She seems so serene in the portrait of her.

SET Man

« Reply #937 on: 1 Sep 2009, 06:44 pm »
Thanks BikeWNC and SET Man. I only saw these for the first time some six months ago after my mother made a concerted effort to quiz my grandmother about the family. Thanks for the advice on storage, at the moment they are just stuffed in a large envelope.
  I don't know what it's like for others and maybe it is because I have her blood in me but I could look at the one of my great grandmother for ages, and do. She seems so serene in the portrait of her.

Hey!

No, thank you for sharing them. :D

Look like they survive well over the years in that envelope. It is more likely that they will continue to do so in that envelope store in a cool, dry, dark place rather than being out framed up, even with acid-free board and expose to the sunlight. :D

B&W photo when process and washed correctly can last 100 years and more! These photos will likely out last the scan you make today if store right. You know the digital can fail... HDD crash, CD/DVD rot or damage  and hardwear obsolete in the future. But still you should scan them and put them on a disc just for back up. But digital file can be maintain by back it up to a new format in the future if needed to extend the life of the file. :D

But if you are interested in archival and for easy presentation there are a few options you could do.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/browse/Archival-Storage-Materials/ci/727/N/4294540513

http://www.lightimpressionsdirect.com/index.action

And if you want to frame them up I would suggest you make a good print from a scan and frame them up instead of exposing the original one to the elements :D

Also, if you see one that start to turn yellow or brown in the group that mean the photo start to deteriate. Remove them form the rest and store it in another envelope  because it can effect the rest of the good one also.

BTW... talking about this reminded me that I still have a box full of old photo of my family that also need to scan and put in archival sleeve or box.  :duh:

Take care,

low.pfile

« Reply #938 on: 10 Sep 2009, 09:38 am »

I am still practicing concert photography and I just got a new tool for the job--able to do ISO 3200 like above. But my focus was off on the majority of my shots since Cafe Du Nord is extremely dark. The D700 helps really helps. BTW it was delivered at 3pm and I was shooting with it at 9pm....talk about a cram session.

a few more photos [here]

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #939 on: 10 Sep 2009, 11:41 pm »
I don't imagine there are many cameras that could give you that sort of result in that light, handheld, I'm guessing. Impressive! :thumb: