Picture Of The Day

Levi

Re: Picture Of The Day
« Reply #600 on: 8 Aug 2008, 01:47 am »
Good job on the picture Nathan.  You made that sign almost 3 dimensional. 8)  I really need to take sometime and do post processing.

Drphoto, point well taken.  I am still digesting your tips and tricks.  Thanks :thumb:

ooheadsoo

« Reply #601 on: 8 Aug 2008, 02:29 am »
ooheadsoo, I'd just like to say that you've got a most wondeful sense of
timing to your photo's
Somehow you manage to push that button, just on the mark!!!

I have to say, you don't happen to have a spare triggerfinger do you?  :thumb:

Imperial

Thanks, Imperial, that means a lot to me.  I've only been seriously (semi, sort of) shooting since I got my Nikon D40 in January, so I only have a few months experience with a camera that is fast enough to let me attempt to capture that "decisive moment," (thanks, denjo.)  For me, the number 1 trick is to shoot a lot and shoot a lot and then shoot even more.  Number 2 is to study the subject to learn when it will make its move, but even then, with a dynamic subject, chances are good the shot will be blurry or badly composed, so I fall back on number 1.  Not that the shots I show here are really good, but I have so many horrible shots, it's embarrassing.  Your 40d shoots even faster than my camera, so you should have lots of fun with it.  You seem to have easy access to lots of dogs, so you should be getting all sorts of good experience shooting animals very soon.  Number 2 is very important - but many times, the moments where something unique is happening flashes like quicksilver, and no matter how fast your camera shoots, if you miss that opening instant, it's gone, so that leads to Number 3: ...hone your reflexes with video games?  On a more serious note, since I'm not experienced in seeking out and finding the right moment, I really just sit there and wait for something to happen.  When shooting animals, I spend a lot of time staring through the viewfinder with the shutter half depressed, waiting for it to do something or repeat something. 

I won't embarrass myself trying to give more tips, with all the real photographers reading and posting on this thread  :oops:
« Last Edit: 8 Aug 2008, 06:14 am by ooheadsoo »

Jakkar

« Reply #602 on: 10 Aug 2008, 12:33 am »
I have really enjoyed looking through all of these pages of photos.  Very nice pics and some useful advice to go with it.

I am in the sometimes enviable position of being able to see many of the NYC fireworks shows right outside the window of my condo.  Here are a few that I thought were interesting taken with a 10d and a 50m f1.8 cheapie lens out my bedroom window.  If they are too big let me know and I will turn them to links.

diofan56

« Reply #603 on: 10 Aug 2008, 03:24 am »
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a273/diofan56/Utah%20Vacation%20Pictures/?action-view&current=Confluence.jpg

I took this picture with my Nikon N8008 in 1997.  I was taking an air tour over Canyonlands National Park.  We flew near the confluence of the Green and Colorado rivers and I snapped off a few shots before I got to the end of the roll of film.  I like this picture the best.  Actually this is my personal favorite picture.

At this point I cannot remember what slide film I used but I am thinking it was Kodachrome 64.  I do not remember which specific lens I used but it was a Nikon zoom lens.

diofan56

« Reply #604 on: 10 Aug 2008, 03:59 am »
Okay...What am I doing wrong?  I tried using [img] and it did not work.  Now I am trying to use [url] and I get a hyperlink.  How do I just display the picture?

My computer is an iMac with an Intel chip.  Is that (part of) the problem?

Dave 

Levi

« Reply #605 on: 10 Aug 2008, 04:20 am »
Nice picture of the Cannon.

Jakkar, those are excellent pictures of July 4th fireworks.  Is that for this year?  If it is, you did a good job considering it was raining that day!  :thumb:

ooheadsoo

« Reply #606 on: 10 Aug 2008, 04:28 am »
I love visiting Utah.  I like that shot a lot, too.

Jakkar

« Reply #607 on: 10 Aug 2008, 12:05 pm »
Nice picture of the Cannon.

Jakkar, those are excellent pictures of July 4th fireworks.  Is that for this year?  If it is, you did a good job considering it was raining that day!  :thumb:

They are actually from one of the other fireworks show this year.  I have never actually been in town for the 4th.  I never had any idea how many fireworks shows there were in NYC when I lived in the UES.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #608 on: 15 Aug 2008, 06:51 am »
That's a big fork..... :lol:

No ....its not my photo...but I did find it...interesting. :wink:

Photo is from 6moons...Srajan's relocation to Lake Geneva, Switzerland.

Story link...

nathanm

« Reply #609 on: 15 Aug 2008, 02:34 pm »
I guess that lake's done?

ooheadsoo

« Reply #610 on: 16 Aug 2008, 01:42 am »
I think it's still too rare.  I prefer medium rare to black and blue.

Imperial

• Love keeps us in the air, when we ought to fall.
« Reply #611 on: 16 Aug 2008, 11:20 am »
Okay...What am I doing wrong?  I tried using and it did not work.  Now I am trying to use [url] and I get a hyperlink.  How do I just display the picture?

Dave 

I opened your first link. Clicked on the picture to make photobucket diplay it. then I just used the filename itself
: http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a273/diofan56/Utah%20Vacation%20Pictures/Confluence.jpg
And I then used the "" Function and inserted the filename in the middle between the two ] file [ .

Voila!

With a PC one can right click with the mouse.
On a mac... one has to do it slightly more complex to get at the filename..
« Last Edit: 4 Sep 2008, 07:35 pm by Imperial »

WerTicus

« Reply #612 on: 31 Aug 2008, 01:31 pm »

at the beach today.

boead

Levi

« Reply #614 on: 2 Sep 2008, 01:39 pm »
Smart Bird!

Excellent picture shot!

Levi

« Reply #615 on: 2 Sep 2008, 01:42 pm »
I found this car in a McDonalds parking lot.  I don't know who owns the car or seen the person driving it. 

It could be one of you. 8)

Danberg

« Reply #616 on: 2 Sep 2008, 03:35 pm »
Great advertisement for McDonalds!

Skipperrik

« Reply #617 on: 2 Sep 2008, 03:57 pm »
Boead, your images reminds me of one I took off of the stern of a ferry.  I was handing out cheese nabs.

http://rgsharpe.smugmug.com/gallery/5988250_sLLUN#523429256_3dSqR
« Last Edit: 25 Jul 2010, 12:54 am by Skipperrik »

BradJudy

« Reply #618 on: 2 Sep 2008, 07:47 pm »
Boead, your images reminds me of one I took off of the stern of a ferry.  I was handing out cheese nabs.

http://www.richardsharpephotography.com/archives/10892_1711595148/294762

Looks like that one got your whole thumb.  Sweet pic. 

nathanm

« Reply #619 on: 2 Sep 2008, 08:21 pm »
Cool shot, Skipperrik!  Although not as beautiful as that guy's car interior.  Let's face it, it's gotta be a guy's car.  (This shot could've used a polarizing filter to get even more filthy goodness!)  Maybe he is taunting people, like a dollar bill on a fishing line; "You know you want to reach in and grab my $50 worth of change, ahh but you're repulsed by the seatful of filth!  Ooh, so much money right there, but hmmm, maybe there's rats inside those bags. Well, do you feel lucky, punk?"  We do know one thing; if that guy gets in a rollover accident he will come out smooth and shiny after being polished with so many loose objects in the cabin.