Ideas for My Son's First Audio System Wanted

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Re: Ideas for My Son's First Audio System Wanted
« Reply #60 on: 14 Nov 2019, 12:15 pm »
When appliance shopping a few years back every sales man told me the ~12 years I got out of the last appliances was "pretty good" and then mentioned typical design life is 10 years.  With all the stuff around the house that can wear out or break down I strongly disagreed with that "pretty good" premise.  My folks kept their simple, metal appliances for 25+ years. 

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #61 on: 14 Nov 2019, 06:45 pm »
+2 on JLM’s Speed Queen washer and dryer. :thumb: As the years go by they will appreciate it more and more. I admire how your son thinks. He’s got a good head on his shoulders. :thumb:

Cheers,

Scott

+3 Forget the fancy ones they break down. BTW you raised a smart one, congrats on all fronts.

charles

Stu Pitt

« Reply #62 on: 14 Nov 2019, 06:59 pm »
When appliance shopping a few years back every sales man told me the ~12 years I got out of the last appliances was "pretty good" and then mentioned typical design life is 10 years.  With all the stuff around the house that can wear out or break down I strongly disagreed with that "pretty good" premise.  My folks kept their simple, metal appliances for 25+ years.

Agree 100%.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #63 on: 27 Nov 2019, 12:34 am »
This is fun.

Okay....here's the final (?) word on what is happening with the audio part of the housewarming gift:

He's getting the IDA-8. I just committed to buying a pair of Mike Lundy (mlundy) built Encores from Nature Boy. 'My' first mlundy built speakers and I won't even get to hear them until April, 2020. My son will add a subwoofer after they're settled in. I think he wants to see what's available in the ATL area.

I think the SpeedQueen set is a great idea - and I did mention this brand and its reliability to him a week ago. However, he's got his mind set on an LG pair from Costco. We'll see what he decides. He's an adult, and I don't want to step on his toes with too many suggestions.

Tyson,

Yeah. I thought about the ST-70, but 1) He hasn't been bitten by the audio bug, and 2) He really doesn't want an amp that needs that level of attention. He can leave the IDA-8 on 24/7. It's easy peasy. Hell, he's going to inherit all my gear when I die in <probably> 25 years, and that thought is pretty intimidating for him right now. [I've got three friends who have asked to be added to my will, so they can get my Apollos.  :lol:]

Update:

The IDA-8 is sitting in the living room. The XLS-Encore speakers (built by mlundy!) will arrive tomorrow. The Blue Jeans speaker cables ought to arrive tomorrow as well.

I just ordered a Rythmik L12 subwoofer. Shaun has no need for the Rythmik F12G that I own and enjoy. Perhaps, the L12 will give him a taste of better than mushy bass, and he'll someday be able to appreciate even better sound (or not).

As for the washer/dryer....He ordered the LG 4.5 cu ft capacity front loader washer and the 7(?) cu ft electric dryer.  He's excited.

Michael