Online Audio Shows

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
Online Audio Shows
« on: 16 Apr 2020, 07:30 pm »
What do you think? I've had a few people suggest this.

Wind Chaser

Re: Online Audio Shows
« Reply #1 on: 16 Apr 2020, 09:11 pm »
I think it's a good idea and Youtube is the perfect tool. I don't know if this is what you have in mind, but trade shows are expensive, impractical and less than ideal venues for reaching a wide audience.

« Last Edit: 17 Apr 2020, 12:01 am by Wind Chaser »

Phil A

« Reply #2 on: 16 Apr 2020, 11:54 pm »
Until there is a vaccine for COVID-19, I don't think there will be regular audio shows or similar things.  So anything is possible and really can't hurt.

Norman Tracy

« Reply #3 on: 17 Apr 2020, 05:17 am »
Well I am sorry to say I do not believe ‘online audio shows’ are really a thing that I can conceive of and am thus skeptical they constitute an answer. Put another way how would an online audio show be any different than what is done everyday on the Internet and YouTube? I am a (some would judge sadly) heavy consumer of all things hifi in print, Internet, and YouTube. Experiences of live in person events include my visits to CES (prior to its declined relevance to hifi), CEDIA, RMAF (as exhibitor) and annual participation in LSAF as both an exhibitor and reporter.

Contrasting the print/screen experience to in person their are three points that standout in favor of the show or dealer visit.

First the reaction is consistent that “wow, this looks so much better in person than it did in pictures”.

Second it has to sound better in person. I have read many descriptions of sound but actually listening is after all what this passion is all about.

Third the creation of pure buy it lust.

Of course for the industry we need the first two reactions to lead to the third. I believe actually seeing and touching the gear, meeting the exhibitors, and then hearing the music in the exciting environment of a show weekend sparks the buy bug.

With the present unknowns I hope this opinion is not too much of a downer. Presently we have more questions than answers about what life after (or more accurately, with) COVID-19 will be. I fervently hope for a return to not being afraid of each other and sharing music together.

uncola

« Reply #4 on: 17 Apr 2020, 11:50 am »
Maybe something like an avshowrooms tour video but with a live chat so people can ask questions?
You could use your phone on a selfie stick

Shakeydeal

« Reply #5 on: 17 Apr 2020, 11:55 am »
Maybe we should stop being sheeple and imagine living normal lives again? Yes, I think it's time..........

Phil A

« Reply #6 on: 17 Apr 2020, 01:05 pm »
With the current projections - https://covid19.healthdata.org/united-states-of-america   I don't think we'll be getting back to total normal for quite a bit.  If roll-out of lifting of certain things is done prudently, we won't be back to anything near a new type normal until the latter part of June (that's why even Chinese basketball is not scheduled to begin again under limitations until July), give or take.  Large gatherings like trade shows won't be a reality until after a vaccine.  I'm also not sure given the extra demands on the internet these days, that any large scale interactive things can really get done.  There probably also will be some semi-permanent damage from the current state of things where there will be a noticeable percentage of people refraining from certain normal activities for a period of time.  Let's all hope they come up with a good vaccine as quickly as they can.  The longer it persists the longer a new normal will last.

smargo

« Reply #7 on: 17 Apr 2020, 04:11 pm »
Until there is a vaccine for COVID-19, I don't think there will be regular audio shows or similar things.  So anything is possible and really can't hurt.

i believe that testing, testing, testing, testing, is the key to the alleviation of peoples fear of social interaction - the vaccine will come when it comes

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #8 on: 17 Apr 2020, 04:54 pm »
I think it's a good idea and Youtube is the perfect tool. I don't know if this is what you have in mind, but trade shows are expensive, impractical and less than ideal venues for reaching a wide audience.

They're floating the idea of an online trade show. Oh, believe me, I do know the cost of the shows having exhibited at several of them.

charmerci

« Reply #9 on: 17 Apr 2020, 05:23 pm »
They're floating the idea of an online trade show. Oh, believe me, I do know the cost of the shows having exhibited at several of them.
I'm not sure but what about Vimeo instead of youboob? You can download a higher quality video and audio on that site - not sure how much higher quality audio though.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #11 on: 17 Apr 2020, 06:03 pm »
Many years ago we tried to put together a TV Audio Show on the DIY ch. Are host was to be Harry Pearson. The concept was to have tutorials, designer interviews, new product talk, DIY speakers, Amps, etc. A weekly spot for new music, Jazz day, Classical day and so much more
Unfortunately Harry rest His Soul was so concerned about His looks it did not work out.
Our investors jumped Ship after that now history.
Today with Youthtube a much easier task. It can be a really good venture if someone is willing. Go get em spomeone.

charles

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #12 on: 20 Apr 2020, 02:25 am »
Well I am sorry to say I do not believe ‘online audio shows’ are really a thing that I can conceive of and am thus skeptical they constitute an answer. Put another way how would an online audio show be any different than what is done everyday on the Internet and YouTube? I am a (some would judge sadly) heavy consumer of all things hifi in print, Internet, and YouTube. Experiences of live in person events include my visits to CES (prior to its declined relevance to hifi), CEDIA, RMAF (as exhibitor) and annual participation in LSAF as both an exhibitor and reporter.

Contrasting the print/screen experience to in person their are three points that standout in favor of the show or dealer visit.

First the reaction is consistent that “wow, this looks so much better in person than it did in pictures”.

Second it has to sound better in person. I have read many descriptions of sound but actually listening is after all what this passion is all about.

Third the creation of pure buy it lust.

Of course for the industry we need the first two reactions to lead to the third. I believe actually seeing and touching the gear, meeting the exhibitors, and then hearing the music in the exciting environment of a show weekend sparks the buy bug.

With the present unknowns I hope this opinion is not too much of a downer. Presently we have more questions than answers about what life after (or more accurately, with) COVID-19 will be. I fervently hope for a return to not being afraid of each other and sharing music together.

I agree, nothing is a substitute for personal interaction. A video doesn't really tell you how a speaker will sound in your room.

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #13 on: 20 Apr 2020, 05:32 pm »
Maybe something like an avshowrooms tour video but with a live chat so people can ask questions?
You could use your phone on a selfie stick

That's a possibility. One problem with the shows is that it's very much "pay-to-play" if you want coverage.

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #14 on: 21 Apr 2020, 02:25 pm »
Maybe we should stop being sheeple and imagine living normal lives again? Yes, I think it's time..........

People are being paralyzed by fear. You can't live that way. I was in NYC in mid-March and saw the beginnings of it.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #15 on: 21 Apr 2020, 02:34 pm »

OTOH, this virus isn't contained, which means many more people will die, especially if we return to normal now. The current death toll of more than 42000 already makes the 911 death toll of less than 3000 seem like nothing. A return to normal now will push that number well past Vietnam. Something worth thinking about, no?

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #16 on: 4 May 2020, 04:55 pm »
No Axpona refunds for exhibitors?

HT cOz

« Reply #17 on: 1 Jun 2020, 02:01 am »
I think you could do something interesting.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeRn82Wrgmo  <-- I found this to be very informative and would love to hear a FLAC version, not on compressed Youtube.  What if a group sent out a recording rig with a preset playlist and people recorded their system and uploaded the files to a common file share.  I think it would be fun.   :popcorn: