Clearaudio MM -- AT-95E and beyond

ACHiPo

Re: Clearaudio MM -- AT-95E and beyond
« Reply #1500 on: 25 Nov 2016, 06:29 pm »
I finally got around to installing the Fidelity Research 6 SE.  All I can say is WOW!  :thumb:  Henry you were right, this cartridge is something special right out of the box.  I've got it set up with 2.0g tracking force on my TransFi arm and on the first track I was amazed at how it sucks me right into the music.  I haven't even dialed in the VTA yet--just used the same settings as with the AT 150.  Will let it run in for a few sides then do some critical listening on LPs I'm familiar with (I just got a bunch of new-to-me records that I'm enjoying hearing for the first time).

I was afraid I damaged the stylus mount pressing it into the motor body--the plastic has degraded a bit over the years, and the fit was very snug, but it finally went.  Sure wish it had some sort of stylus guard!

Folsom

« Reply #1501 on: 25 Nov 2016, 06:55 pm »
I love how you've posted cartridges that are used/NOS and nearly impossible over the years!

Right now I want a new one, but I don't know when exactly I'll get one. I'm also debating a different turntable. Mine has to be tipped so far to one size for correct azimuth that at the end of a record the label is often high enough to rub on it.

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #1502 on: 25 Nov 2016, 10:18 pm »
Evan,
Good to read about your new cart.
Does the TransFi arm have VTA OTF ?  Do you purchase it directly from them, or go to Brit ebay?

neo

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #1503 on: 25 Nov 2016, 10:34 pm »
Hi Folsom,
I remember the photo of your Goldering from the other thread.  That's a mess and if it has been like that since you've had it, I doubt if you really know what it can do. 

I'm not saying it's world class.  I don't know, but some people love the 1042.  For that series I believe the generators are all the same and difference is the stylus.  This would need verification, but I think it would be worth pursuing. 

Always happy to make recommendations.
neo

Halcro

« Reply #1504 on: 25 Nov 2016, 11:41 pm »
I finally got around to installing the Fidelity Research 6 SE.  All I can say is WOW!  :thumb:  Henry you were right, this cartridge is something special right out of the box.  I've got it set up with 2.0g tracking force on my TransFi arm and on the first track I was amazed at how it sucks me right into the music.  I haven't even dialed in the VTA yet--just used the same settings as with the AT 150.  Will let it run in for a few sides then do some critical listening on LPs I'm familiar with (I just got a bunch of new-to-me records that I'm enjoying hearing for the first time).

I was afraid I damaged the stylus mount pressing it into the motor body--the plastic has degraded a bit over the years, and the fit was very snug, but it finally went.  Sure wish it had some sort of stylus guard!

Glad to hear you like the FR-6SE Evan... :D
2 Gms may be a tad heavy for it? I run mine at 1.5Gms VTF.
I thought you managed to get one with the stylus guard?

ACHiPo

« Reply #1505 on: 26 Nov 2016, 02:50 pm »
Evan,
Good to read about your new cart.
Does the TransFi arm have VTA OTF ?  Do you purchase it directly from them, or go to Brit ebay?

neo
Neo,
The TransFi has VTA OTF--one of the reasons I got it.  I bought it directly from Vic--it really is a brilliant design and sounds great, especially given the relatively low cost.

I did tweak VTA yesterday just by setting the wand parallel to the record.  Didn't seem to make a difference--still sounds great.

Evan

ACHiPo

« Reply #1506 on: 26 Nov 2016, 02:53 pm »
Glad to hear you like the FR-6SE Evan... :D
2 Gms may be a tad heavy for it? I run mine at 1.5Gms VTF.
I thought you managed to get one with the stylus guard?
Henry,
I started at the top end of VTF and will drop it down--seems a tad warm and lush, so less force may help that.

I think you're right about the guard!  It may be in my cartridge box--need to look.

Evan

Folsom

« Reply #1507 on: 26 Nov 2016, 04:56 pm »
Hi Folsom,
I remember the photo of your Goldering from the other thread.  That's a mess and if it has been like that since you've had it, I doubt if you really know what it can do. 

What do you mean exactly?

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #1508 on: 26 Nov 2016, 08:01 pm »
What do you mean exactly?

A mechanical aspect of tracking or tracing a groove, dictates vertical orientation of the stylus/cantilever part of the moving system.  Groove walls are cut at 45° so tracking has a 3 dimensional aspect, whether or not you consider the vertical part.   

Picture a stylus mounted off at 15° angle.   In order to have the stylus vertical you would have to tilt the cantilever and body an equal amount to compensate.  With the cantilever/body tilted like this VTF is off vertical, tracing is uneven and information is lost or misrepresented,  but this is an extreme example and results may vary with type.   

Most "decent" carts will only vary slightly and a small azimuth adjustment can be rewarding. 
I've read of people bending or twisting an aluminum cantilever to correct this, but I'm not recommending it.   
I remember seeing the photos you posted.  If I remember correctly the first one was shocking and the second didn't seem as bad, but still off quite a bit?
If I don't remember this correctly, then I take it back.   Anyway, here is a good practical guide for azimuth:
http://www.sound-smith.com/faq/how-do-i-set-azimuth-adjustment-my-cartridge
neo

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #1509 on: 26 Nov 2016, 09:14 pm »

...I've read of people bending or twisting an aluminum cantilever to correct this, but I'm not recommending it.   
Yep, that was me.  It was a last resort measure on a badly defective Denon 102. Under a dissecting microscope with rubber coated forceps, I torqued the Al cantilever of a mismounted stylus into a better alignment.  Not for the faint hearted.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #1510 on: 26 Nov 2016, 09:34 pm »
I heard you could do it with a coffee straw.  So I tried it on a badly damaged cantilever, e.g. no loss if I broke it.  Which is what I did, but it was working pretty good until the damage to the aluminium took over.  I'd try it again with an undamaged, or mildly damaged, cantilever if I ever needed to.

ACHiPo

« Reply #1511 on: 26 Nov 2016, 11:25 pm »
Henry,
I started at the top end of VTF and will drop it down--seems a tad warm and lush, so less force may help that.

I think you're right about the guard!  It may be in my cartridge box--need to look.

Evan
Henry,
While I distinctly remembering buying a cartridge with a guard, I don't have it.  I think I forgot to look for it when I received it. :duh:

Dropping VTF to 1.5 definitely brightens things up a bit.  Love this cartridge!  Thanks for the tip.

Evan

Folsom

« Reply #1512 on: 27 Nov 2016, 04:21 am »
A mechanical aspect of tracking or tracing a groove, dictates vertical orientation of the stylus/cantilever part of the moving system.  Groove walls are cut at 45° so tracking has a 3 dimensional aspect, whether or not you consider the vertical part.   

Picture a stylus mounted off at 15° angle.   In order to have the stylus vertical you would have to tilt the cantilever and body an equal amount to compensate.  With the cantilever/body tilted like this VTF is off vertical, tracing is uneven and information is lost or misrepresented,  but this is an extreme example and results may vary with type.   

Most "decent" carts will only vary slightly and a small azimuth adjustment can be rewarding. 
I've read of people bending or twisting an aluminum cantilever to correct this, but I'm not recommending it.   
I remember seeing the photos you posted.  If I remember correctly the first one was shocking and the second didn't seem as bad, but still off quite a bit?
If I don't remember this correctly, then I take it back.   Anyway, here is a good practical guide for azimuth:
http://www.sound-smith.com/faq/how-do-i-set-azimuth-adjustment-my-cartridge
neo

Uh... my azimuth requires the cartridge to be turned a lot farther than you'd want, but it's not like 45º or anyhting. Some LP's make funny sounds because the sticker is so thick it rubs on the cartridge a little. It's because the tip is inserted into the cantilever very poorly.

Is the sound perfect? Probably not but it sounds normal.

Is it possible to bend the tip? I doubt it. Maybe the cantilever can be twisted? Eh?

S Clark

« Reply #1513 on: 27 Nov 2016, 05:37 am »
Maybe the cantilever can be twisted? Eh?
Yes, but you better have steady hands and good magnification. 

Folsom

« Reply #1514 on: 27 Nov 2016, 08:41 am »
I did it. It's a little to the left while playing but seems fine. Still had to set azimuth a little. Doesn't rub on stickers though.
« Last Edit: 29 Nov 2016, 06:23 am by Folsom »

Halcro

« Reply #1515 on: 27 Nov 2016, 01:47 pm »
Dropping VTF to 1.5 definitely brightens things up a bit.  Love this cartridge!  Thanks for the tip.
You might also want to try raising the VTA just a smidgen at the pivot.....
This cartridge has great 'body'.....but it needs to be massaged 'just right'.... :tempted:
Regards
Henry

Folsom

« Reply #1516 on: 29 Nov 2016, 06:23 am »
I did it. It's a little to the left while playing but seems fine. Still had to set azimuth a little. Doesn't rub on stickers though.

Actually I ruined it... no more music for me.

S Clark

« Reply #1517 on: 29 Nov 2016, 02:00 pm »
Sorry to hear that.  I'm suspect that my success was dumb luck more than anything else. 

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #1518 on: 29 Nov 2016, 04:54 pm »

Actually I ruined it... no more music for me.

EEK !!  They're easy to break - even aluminum will break if it folds, or at the point of attachment.  Those Goldring replacements are interchangeable within the series.  Considering the 1042 is a Gyger S, not really overpriced.  I wonder if another brand (Shure style) can be substituted?

Folsom, What arm do you use?
neo

Folsom

« Reply #1519 on: 29 Nov 2016, 06:20 pm »
The problem was that something within the magnet area got screwed up so it sounded like static all the time. Why and how I don't know. I'm actually sick of Goldring, and I do think it's overpriced. The cartridges cost nearly as much as turntables they come on.

I don't know what arm is on my table, it's a cheap MMF5.1 (although the sticker price isn't that cheap on them).