CHEERFUL and Cheap Whole House Audio

witchdoctor

CHEERFUL and Cheap Whole House Audio
« on: 24 Mar 2019, 03:17 pm »
I have been into audio around 20 years and have gone from stereo, to multi-channel, then immersive. The one thing they all had in common was the room. I toyed with the idea of using the zone 2 and zone 3 on my preamp but the thought of LONG wire runs shut that down.
I toyed with putting bluetooth speakers around the house but I didn't like the quality for money proposition. Basically I was stuck with my main rig and a desktop system.

Then I spotted a CHEAP streamer in the Klipsch Gate which I could connect to a spare active speaker that had been sitting around. For $25 I took a shot and BINGO scored a home run. SQ of the Gate was better than my Bluesound Node! So why so cheap? The DTS PlayFi software was not ready for prime time when released around 5 years ago. The reviews reflected that around the net. What I found was that software has been updated numerous times and I find it better than the Bluos software that came with my Node.
So I had a sense of urgency, I wanted to score some more deals before they were out of stock.
I have added DefTech W7 active speakers in the dining room for $200 (MSRP $800), a Playfi friendly Onkyo receiver for the man cave for $350 (MSRP $799), Polk S6 active speakers around various rooms at $79 each (MSRP $350) and a couple of Play-Fi friendly amps in the Klipsch Powergate and the Paradigm PW amp (around $150 each vs MSRP of $500).

I am accustomed to spending more on a good set of cables than the cost of any of these components.

NOW talk about cheerful. It all runs through a kindle streaming anything and everything (hirez included). I don't even need to type. "Alexa play Pink Floyd on Tidal in the Media Room and kitchen, etc."
To be able to start your day streaming music in the kitchen, switch it to the dining room and then have it follow you throughout the house is about the most useful invention since radio.

The BEST part is all of this gear was available at roughly 50% to 80% discounts to MSRP and the software now works great.

Checkout Amazon and the DTS Play-Fi website for more info.

https://play-fi.com/

Yatsushiro

Re: CHEERFUL and Cheap Whole House Audio
« Reply #1 on: 25 Mar 2019, 10:43 am »
Did you really need to start a new thread for this? Surely it's an adjunct to your other thread(s) :scratch:

witchdoctor

« Reply #2 on: 25 Mar 2019, 12:19 pm »
Did you really need to start a new thread for this? Surely it's an adjunct to your other thread(s) :scratch:

Yes I started a new thread.

Please post a link to another thread discussing cheap "whole house" audio  :scratch:

Brettio

« Reply #3 on: 25 Mar 2019, 12:43 pm »
I appeciate your insight into this subject WD.  Not sure why others care what you do when they can simply choose to not read the thread.    :scratch:

witchdoctor

« Reply #4 on: 25 Mar 2019, 02:04 pm »
I appeciate your insight into this subject WD.  Not sure why others care what you do when they can simply choose to not read the thread.    :scratch:

16 posts, a newbie  :D

witchdoctor

« Reply #5 on: 25 Mar 2019, 02:09 pm »
BTW, I think this is an important topic because the gorilla in the room of whole house audio is Sonos. I am sure they are "cheerful" products but they have tradeoffs. First they are not cheap. Next you are limited in terms of the ecosystem, just like Heos and Music Cast.
Play-Fi is a multi-vendor platform and often you can find products at very,very deep discounts. :thumb:

OzarkTom

« Reply #6 on: 25 Mar 2019, 02:47 pm »
I have been in audio over 45 years, and unless I build me a man cave, I will never own an immersive audio system. Man caves are not cheap to build these days.

Brettio

« Reply #7 on: 25 Mar 2019, 06:08 pm »
For a few reasons I'll likely never take the dive into full immersion audio but the klipsch Gate and playfi has brought two channel audio into my house and workshop in a way I only dreamnt about a couple months ago.  I'm still deciding which direction to go with workshop speakers but I like the options WD has presented.

witchdoctor

« Reply #8 on: 25 Mar 2019, 07:07 pm »
I have been in audio over 45 years, and unless I build me a man cave, I will never own an immersive audio system. Man caves are not cheap to build these days.

Hi Ozark Tom, This thread is about whole house audio which really is not immersive. To bring nice SQ into a room can be done with a single active speaker for under $100 (or a stereo pair for under $200). The antithesis of immersive, but highly convenient and cheerful!

OzarkTom

« Reply #9 on: 25 Mar 2019, 11:36 pm »
Hi Ozark Tom, This thread is about whole house audio which really is not immersive. To bring nice SQ into a room can be done with a single active speaker for under $100 (or a stereo pair for under $200). The antithesis of immersive, but highly convenient and cheerful!

Oops, my mistake.

An Amazon Echo Dot and JBL 305MKII speakers would be less than $300. Even cheaper. One of the best parts, you do not need to use an Ipad or cell phone to operate it.

witchdoctor

« Reply #10 on: 26 Mar 2019, 02:31 pm »
Oops, my mistake.

An Amazon Echo Dot and JBL 305MKII speakers would be less than $300. Even cheaper. One of the best parts, you do not need to use an Ipad or cell phone to operate it.

That is a good idea! Do you have a Gate that you can connect to those JBL's? Would be an interesting match. I have tried the Gate with the passive JBL 230's but with active it might be better. Thanks!