New to Open Baffle speakers

Cycles2

New to Open Baffle speakers
« on: 19 Apr 2023, 12:56 pm »
I've never owned a pair of open baffle speakers but recently heard a pair of Spatial Audio X4's and was impressed with what I heard.  I started looking into the various manufacturer options and noticed that some resemble a science experiment with all the various accessories required.  The Linkwitz 521 is a good example where amps, DSPs, crossovers and lots of external cabling is required.

Since the Spatial X4's are the only OB speaker I've heard so far, I'd appreciate recommendations for other OB speakers that just require my amp to connect to the OB speaker terminals.  My room is 12' (width) X 16' (depth). I'm looking to spend $4k - $6k and pre-owned is fine.

Thanks in advance,
Brian ...

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: New to Open Baffle speakers
« Reply #1 on: 20 Apr 2023, 12:02 am »
I've never owned a pair of open baffle speakers but recently heard a pair of Spatial Audio X4's and was impressed with what I heard.  I started looking into the various manufacturer options and noticed that some resemble a science experiment with all the various accessories required.  The Linkwitz 521 is a good example where amps, DSPs, crossovers and lots of external cabling is required.

Since the Spatial X4's are the only OB speaker I've heard so far, I'd appreciate recommendations for other OB speakers that just require my amp to connect to the OB speaker terminals.  My room is 12' (width) X 16' (depth). I'm looking to spend $4k - $6k and pre-owned is fine.

Thanks in advance,
Brian ...
I suggest this DIY project from a member Eminence Alpha15A + 4.7mH + Visaton B200, this is a Hi-End purist project, no DSP, no xover, just an air core inductor at 360Hz.
https://eminence.com/products/alpha_15a

Decware OB with the Lii Audio F15 driver:

If one have a woodworker is possible try the Lii Audio F15($399/Pair) 97dB/8Ω and benign impedance curve suited to OB or Bass Reflex box or the F18($540/pair), no Crossover, no Tweeter beaming, no Phase rotation, no driver sensitivity loss, no Harmonics loss, no Retail price.
http://www.glowinthedarkaudio.com/lii-audio-f18.html
With the Lii Audio F15 probably you will want 2 active subs under 60 or 80Hz.