Has anyone tried stacking Maggie's?

capwkidd

Has anyone tried stacking Maggie's?
« on: 17 Aug 2013, 07:16 pm »
Perhaps, stacking super MMG's with a couple of DWM's?

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Re: Has anyone tried stacking Maggie's?
« Reply #1 on: 17 Aug 2013, 07:22 pm »
In my 100 ft ceiling cathedral  :o i triple stack 20.7s....  :thumb:

capwkidd

« Reply #2 on: 17 Aug 2013, 07:27 pm »
Ok, the reason why I ask, is to get the height.... I see that the taller the planner the better I like it :)

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #3 on: 17 Aug 2013, 07:46 pm »
I asked about stacked MMGs some time back, Magnepan had tried it (or course) and I'm told it worked well.

What are you using for a system at the moment?

capwkidd

« Reply #4 on: 17 Aug 2013, 10:03 pm »
Using some Nola Contenders.... I have a few other speakers, but those are my favorite.... But now I have the planner bug :O

I guess the ideal thing to do would be to get a pair of Soundlab M1's AND Magnepan 20.7's..... Sigh

Just looking for the biggest image I can get with just the right amount of bass output :)

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #5 on: 17 Aug 2013, 10:56 pm »
You'd better have one heck of a large room for those guys.
I loved the 20.7s but just didn't have enough space for them so off they went to an audiophile in California and in came another set of 3.7s.  I added a sub at low volume and it's just perfect for my house.
If I had another 6' in length and 6' in width for the living room I'd still have the 20.7s but a major home renovation like that would entail is not in the cards.

capwkidd

« Reply #6 on: 18 Aug 2013, 01:10 am »
You'd better have one heck of a large room for those guys.
I loved the 20.7s but just didn't have enough space for them so off they went to an audiophile in California and in came another set of 3.7s.  I added a sub at low volume and it's just perfect for my house.
If I had another 6' in length and 6' in width for the living room I'd still have the 20.7s but a major home renovation like that would entail is not in the cards.

Ok, how big is your room then?

How does one determine what size plannar they can have? My room is 11.9x16.2, the dining room is off the long end, but there is a wall cutting in about 5'.....

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #7 on: 18 Aug 2013, 02:04 am »
Around 24x14'.
You're going to have way too much bass with the 20.7s.
I'd go 3.7s if I were you.

capwkidd

« Reply #8 on: 18 Aug 2013, 02:10 pm »
Around 24x14'.
You're going to have way too much bass with the 20.7s.
I'd go 3.7s if I were you.

The 3.7s did not sound that great to me.... maybe the tweeter was attenuated too much.... placement seemed ok.....

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #9 on: 18 Aug 2013, 04:12 pm »
They're not the only brand out there so maybe Janzen, GT Audio Works or Martin Logan would be more to your liking.
I can tell you that it's easy to go too big for your room.
The ribbons on the 3.7s can clean the wax out of your ears on the right recordings with a Sonic Frontiers preamp...
If they had those attenuators plugged in that will make them sound weird.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #10 on: 18 Aug 2013, 04:23 pm »

I guess the ideal thing to do would be to get a pair of Soundlab M1's AND Magnepan 20.7's.....Sigh

About 15-16 years ago I borrowed a set of Sound Labs to A-B against my stacked DQ-10s/Sequerra ribbons.  Don't remember what model they were but the sounds in my room were almost identical, except for a HUGE standing wave from the Sounds Labs that floated in the air for what seemed like ten seconds.   :o

I knew nothing of standing waves, speaker placement or any other tweaks so the SLs quickly went back to the seller.  Martin-Logan Quests also flopped in the same room.  When I tried Maggie 1.6s in the same room and same spots the improvement was enormous; MAGICAL, if you will.  Now I'm nicely settled in with a pair of 20.1s. and all the others are gone.   :thumb:

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #11 on: 18 Aug 2013, 05:06 pm »
But yours are set up in an aviary, you lucky dog!

capwkidd

« Reply #12 on: 18 Aug 2013, 05:13 pm »
They're not the only brand out there so maybe Janzen, GT Audio Works or Martin Logan would be more to your liking.
I can tell you that it's easy to go too big for your room.
The ribbons on the 3.7s can clean the wax out of your ears on the right recordings with a Sonic Frontiers preamp...
If they had those attenuators plugged in that will make them sound weird.

Martin Logan are out because they all sound wrong to my ear (I have not heard the newest ones, but they use the same panel, so...) .... Janszen I heard at THE show in June, but I guess I did not get a good enough listen... But I like the huge/tall sound of large panels.....

GT audio works.... I have seen some pics.... But don't know if they are worth thing to listen too... Any opinions? Do they have a tall/big sound to them?

MGbert

« Reply #13 on: 19 Aug 2013, 01:12 am »
Martin Logan are out because they all sound wrong to my ear (I have not heard the newest ones, but they use the same panel, so...) .... Janszen I heard at THE show in June, but I guess I did not get a good enough listen... But I like the huge/tall sound of large panels.....

GT audio works.... I have seen some pics.... But don't know if they are worth thing to listen too... Any opinions? Do they have a tall/big sound to them?

GT Audio had 2 rooms at the DC AudioFest.  I'll be honest, I did not enjoy the smaller ones in the room they were in.  The sound was not that tall or the soundstage so deep.  There also seemed to be a peak at 4000 Hz or so which, if EQ'd, might be tamable.  The larger model were more to my liking, but they also seemed to be hotter at 4000 Hz than I'd like, but not as bad as the smaller model.  The larger ones had more of a soundstage, also.  Again, this is my opinion; to my ears my Gunned MMGs are closer to being musical.  The GT's has a hardness to the sound that did not invite relaxed, extended listening.

Again, all this is IMHO.   :)

MGbert

capwkidd

« Reply #14 on: 19 Aug 2013, 02:07 am »
GT Audio had 2 rooms at the DC AudioFest.  I'll be honest, I did not enjoy the smaller ones in the room they were in.  The sound was not that tall or the soundstage so deep.  There also seemed to be a peak at 4000 Hz or so which, if EQ'd, might be tamable.  The larger model were more to my liking, but they also seemed to be hotter at 4000 Hz than I'd like, but not as bad as the smaller model.  The larger ones had more of a soundstage, also.  Again, this is my opinion; to my ears my Gunned MMGs are closer to being musical.  The GT's has a hardness to the sound that did not invite relaxed, extended listening.

Again, all this is IMHO.   :)

MGbert

But, how is the bass on the MMG's once Peter mods them? Or, the 1.6's for that matter? Also, is there a Maggie 1.6 and a 1.6 QR? or are they the same thing? How low do the moded ones go?

MGbert

« Reply #15 on: 19 Aug 2013, 03:33 am »
But, how is the bass on the MMG's once Peter mods them? Or, the 1.6's for that matter? Also, is there a Maggie 1.6 and a 1.6 QR? or are they the same thing? How low do the moded ones go?

Here is one post from a fairly long thread where I detail the benefits of the MMG mod:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=118426.msg1244512#msg1244512

IMHO, it's worth reading the whole thread...   :)  As far as bass is concerned, I measured an extension of usable bass from 50 Hz stock to 45 Hz with the Magnestand mod.  AFAIK, a 1.6 IS a 1.6QR.  Hope this helps.

MGbert

MaggiesAndCats

« Reply #16 on: 19 Aug 2013, 02:26 pm »

I can't speak for the Magnestands, but there are a number of aftermarket stands for Maggies that improve the bass definition.  I use Mye stands on my MGIII's and wouldn't have a pair of Maggies without something that provides similar bracing.  Many people have done DIY versions.

Regards,

Steve

satie

« Reply #17 on: 3 Sep 2013, 12:09 am »
If you build a frame and stick two MMG drivers stacked one on top of the other you end up with an 8' speaker about as tall as an Acoustat 2+2.

It should improve image height and the depth dimension as the taller speaker will give you more precise renditions of floor bounce cues for depth. You will also get some minor reinforcement of bass  below 200 hz, and should be obviously noticeable in bass below 100 hz.

I keep waiting for someone to do it and report on the results.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #18 on: 3 Sep 2013, 12:32 am »
I asked Wendell about that a year or two ago.
They had tried it (what a surprise) and said that it worked out really well.

satie

« Reply #19 on: 3 Sep 2013, 05:24 am »
I asked Wendell about that a year or two ago.
They had tried it (what a surprise) and said that it worked out really well.

Did he say if he moded the XO for the change in nearfield/farfield transition and more bass? Any descriptions of the SQ line items and how they had changed?