Slow and counter-intuitive volume control on IA-7 integrated

Albireo

Hi,

I need to say first that the IA-7 is fully capable of driving my Magnepan MG1.6s. It's just flabbergastingly good sound from top to bottom, in inimitable NuForce style. Keep it up, folks!

There's one irritating issue that prevents me from enjoying the integrated as much it deserves. The remote-controlled volume control is sluggish when you hold the volume button down, and only somewhat faster if you press the buttons quickly. That's backwards: it should go faster when you hold the button down and proceed in small steps with single button presses. Moreover, there is no acceleration built-in, so that the IA-7 proceeds at its sluggish pace no matter how long you hold down the volume control. So if the music suddenly gets too loud, there is no recourse but to leap up and twirl the volume knob yourself. Hardly elegant behavior.

Any chance this could be addressed in firmware, or is this a limitation of the IR refresh rate?

Thanks!

rustydoglim

• Industry Contributor
    • www.nuprimeaudio.com
« Reply #1 on: 5 Feb 2006, 07:21 pm »
Good feedback. Yes, the volume control is attached to the face plate and can be reprogrammed.
When did you purchase IA-7? Email support and the problem might have been fixed. The first batch of IA-7 shipped before Jan 27 has another volume control problem such that it is too loud at the lowest level.

We just received a new batch of replacement parts and will start shipping them out to dealers/customers in the next few weeks. All you have to do is replace the face plate with a screw driver. We provide free shipping and return lable for sending the old faceplate back.

Albireo

« Reply #2 on: 5 Feb 2006, 07:33 pm »
Thank you very much for the information. The IA-7 was picked up from you guys this past week by my dealer and I only received it last night.  I have written to email support and will keep this thread updated.

nuforce-casey

• Industry Participant
Re: Slow and counter-intuitive volume control on IA-7 integr
« Reply #3 on: 5 Feb 2006, 10:08 pm »
Quote from: Albireo
Hi,

I need to say first that the IA-7 is fully capable of driving my Magnepan MG1.6s. It's just flabbergastingly good sound from top to bottom, in inimitable NuForce style. Keep it up, folks!

There's one irritating issue that prevents me from enjoying the integrated as much it deserves. The remote-controlled volume control is sluggish when you hold the volume button down, and only somewhat faster if you press the buttons quickly. That's backwards: it should go faster when you hold the button down and  ...

The IR operates in pulse-width mode (PWM), so, if you hold down the button, it will do a slow repeate of the IR code, probably not fast enough than if you repeatedly hit the same button.   I.e.  the 'keyboard repeat' rate is much slower compare to the typing rate.

Your unit has the latest software, which allows 200-steppings of the volume, if that's too slow, we can swap with a 80-steppings remote, which some people complained being too coarse.

Albireo

Re: Slow and counter-intuitive volume control on IA-7 integr
« Reply #4 on: 11 Feb 2006, 11:01 pm »
Quote from: Casey
The IR operates in pulse-width mode (PWM), so, if you hold down the button, it will do a slow repeate of the IR code, probably not fast enough than if you repeatedly hit the same button.   I.e.  the 'keyboard repeat' rate is much slower compare to the typing rate.

Thanks, Casey, for the info on the IR emitter. It took me a couple days for the obvious to strike me, but it turns out the sluggish remote volume control response is easily remedied by programming my universal remote (which is what I was using to control the IA-7 anyway) in the right way. In particular, I learned the IA-7's remote code by pressing its volume button as rapidly as possible. This maximized the repeat rate of the volume up/down signal as stored in my universal remote, and now volume changes are quick and fluid, while still allowing 0.5 dB changes, which is achieved with short presses of the universal remote's buttons.

Anyone interested in a NuForce IA-7 vs Bel Canto 2i review, as used with a Magnepan MG1.6? It might take awhile since I want to upgrade the 2i to Gen II (a small capacitor change), or not at all if no one is interested!

loose

« Reply #5 on: 12 Feb 2006, 04:22 am »
Albireo, I'd certainly be very interested in your BC vs NF review.  

Cheers

ricks584

« Reply #6 on: 13 Feb 2006, 07:47 pm »
I'd certainly be interested (I own the Reference 9's).