My favorite vintage speakers...

Whitese

Re: My favorite vintage speakers...
« Reply #60 on: 25 Feb 2007, 10:12 am »
Here are pics of my favs: 

Tannoy Monitor Gold 12's, EV 12trxb's and Bozak B-410 Concert Grands, and underneath the amazing JBL L-96.

denjo

« Reply #61 on: 25 Feb 2007, 10:18 am »
Rogers LS3/5a 15 ohm version. Pair that with an SET and its a match made in Heaven!

Dennis

Wind Chaser

« Reply #62 on: 25 Feb 2007, 04:06 pm »
No doubt the LS3/5a's were nice but I'm of the opinion that the JR-149's were a better speaker.  Here's some information on the JR-149

And here's another LINK to more information.  The second picture is a side by side comparison of the JR-149 and LS3/5a.

Texas42

« Reply #63 on: 20 May 2007, 04:14 am »
Of the ones I've actually owned...
Klipsch Cornwalls
Spica Angelus (with Velodyne ULD-15 Sub)

Still have:
AR9s
Klipsch LaScalas

Ones I 'wish' I had owned at least once:
Vandersteen Model 2C
KEF 104
Polk SDA-SRS

jt1stcav

• Li'l Sammy...she loves directly heated triodes!
    • http://www.freewebs.com/jt1stcav/
« Reply #64 on: 28 May 2007, 04:31 pm »
Vintage loudspeakers I've owned and loved: :inlove:

'83 JBL L112 Century II
'79 Klipsch Cornwall

weirdo

« Reply #65 on: 29 May 2007, 01:24 pm »
In the mid 70's in Chicago I had a garage sale system composed of a HK 15 watt integrated, a Scott tube tuner, dual table and ADC speakers. They were 8" two way, I think. they were maybe 80.00 each. good "student on a budget' speakers as I recall. they sounded good and wetted the appetite for higher end.

drphoto

« Reply #66 on: 15 Jun 2007, 10:34 pm »
The old Merlins.....the foam wrapped towers... were quite nice. My business partner has the 2 way version. I replaced the tweeters for him w/ the current Morel used in the TSM and they're still good. Cabinets need dampening though.

Early Thiels w/ softdome tweeters were pretty good. I had the 0.5 back in the late eighties powered by an Conrad-Johnson tube pre/power amp combo and it was a very musical little setup.

The Essence 10 (I think that's the right #) ...bunch of staggered boxes stacked together w/ a driver in each. I heard them in the mid eighties powered by top of the line CJ Premier amps w/ a Sota Sappire table and it was pretty darn impressive.

And of course, the speaker that lured me into 'real' audio......the Charwell version of the BBC monitor.

fredgarvin

« Reply #67 on: 25 Jun 2007, 12:24 am »
I just refoamed the woofers on my old Infinity rs-3000's and am using them in my shop. They really sound nice, two-ways with the late great polycell tweeters.

Airborn

« Reply #68 on: 25 Jun 2007, 05:53 am »
I always liked the classic EPI 100 monitors. I've still got a pair of EPI Magnus A1100 3 ways with horn tweeter. I recently refoamed the woofers and they sound great with a vintage Dual 601 turntable.

Doublej

« Reply #69 on: 26 Jun 2007, 12:29 am »
Windchaser,

Your links are dead..

Jampot

« Reply #70 on: 26 Jun 2007, 07:48 am »

Doublej try these

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/hon.lau/JR149.html

http://www.jr149.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/JR149%20History-3.htm

The navigation on these sites is not the most intuitive - you just have to browse around and click on anything remotely like a link.

I have a pair (and an odd one - don't ask) of JR149s waiting for me to get off my butt and fix 'em up. Also 2 JR subs (the round ones) which I got replacement drivers for from Madisound. I had the original LPAs re-capped but need to get some wire for hooking everything up. Unfortunately the connextions are all just screw clamps - no binding posts or even spring clips - on the speakers and amps.

Should be interesting once I get into it.

Jim

Quantasonics

Re: EPI woofer surround replacement
« Reply #71 on: 30 Jun 2007, 07:14 am »
I would like to learn about EPI Magnus HE17s.  I have a pair (owned by a friend) that needs the woofer surround replaced.
How do I do this and where do I get the materials?
Is this speaker of sufficient quality to justify the effort and cost?
Thanks

Airborn

« Reply #72 on: 12 Jul 2007, 07:23 pm »
I would like to learn about EPI Magnus HE17s.  I have a pair (owned by a friend) that needs the woofer surround replaced.
How do I do this and where do I get the materials?
Is this speaker of sufficient quality to justify the effort and cost?
Thanks

Quantasonics, welcome to Audio Circle  :thumb:
I had a pair of EPI Magnus A1100 with rotted woofer surrounds and I wondered the same thing.  I searched the web and found literally hundreds of site for DIY woofer foam replacement.  Some even had free how to videos or pictures.  I was all set to order from parts express and do it myself when I broke my hand and I didn't want to wait so I had a local audio shop (Audio Xpert) do it (and upgrade the crossovers too) for around $50. It was well worth it IMO.

As for whether your speakers are worth it, I don't know as I'm not familiar with your model.  I again would suggest searching the web.  The most info. I found on EPI speakers is on a site run by a former employee.  Check this link: www.humanspeakers.com/e/epi-he17.htm#spec
It looks like he also does repairs, but I have no connection to this site or experience with it, so this isn't a recommendation.  As with all things on the 'net, buyer beware.  Good luck.

RobertB53

« Reply #73 on: 24 Jul 2007, 08:39 pm »
In the past several years I have given away a pair of KLH Seventeens, KLH Sixes, Snell Type Ks and AR3as.  As companion for my Jordans, I have kept a pair of Genesis Physics 1s.  I haven't measured them, but the boxes look close to the "golden ratio"--they ring gracefully.  The drivers are of wonderful quality, especially the inverted dome tweeters.  (Mine are the early ones on the masonite panel.) To Burhoe's horror, I strap them to high, 30" stands well away from the walls.  The crossover is a single, new Solen cap at 1.8 cycles.  They sound fine with modern equipment, but they sound good with the el84 amp section of a Stromberg-Carlson integrated that I often use (4 ohm tap.)  They "jump" at you the way that single drivers do.

My audiophile friends once ridiculed me at length when I told them that I liked the sound of a pair of Klipsch LaScalas.

microx

« Reply #74 on: 10 Aug 2007, 08:46 am »
For me B&W DM6. I bought a pair from a lady whose husband had died and did not want such big boxes.I have modded them for bi-amping, changed the tweeters for vifas, beefed up the internal wiring and now I am lokking at the crossovers. All the mods have made an improvement without the loss of that big warm but still dynamic sound. The DM6 was the first speaker to have vertical voice coil alignment and, interestingly, the midrange is connected in reverse polarity to the other two drivers.
Steve

Imperial

• Love keeps us in the air, when we ought to fall.
« Reply #75 on: 18 Aug 2007, 08:41 pm »
It has to be altec.

Anyway.
Did you guys know that Altec started to sell the A7 'Voice Of The Theatre' freshly made back in 2003?
They charged 8600$ a pair back then. Brand spanking new!
Now they charge 12+ grand for the pair... but. Its really an A7!!!
http://www.alteclansing.com/store_cat_legacy.asp
Imperial
« Last Edit: 18 Aug 2007, 09:01 pm by Imperial »

Martyn

« Reply #76 on: 19 Aug 2007, 12:20 am »
I have a pair of Leak "sandwich" speakers dating from the early 1960s. The woofer is a 13" laminated foil and foam cone that is remarkably stiff mounted in a cast aluminum frame. I used them for about 20 years with a Quad 33/303 amplifier quite happily. They are now just side tables, but I think they were very good for their day.

Scott F.

« Reply #77 on: 19 Aug 2007, 02:30 am »
It has to be altec.

You know, I'm with you. Of all the vintage speakers I've heard, Altecs have to be right at the top of the list.

With some luck, I'll have my vintage A-7's up and running at the end of next weekend. This weekend I'm building sand filled enclosures for the horns. That alone makes one helluva difference in keeping the metal horns from ringing. My horns are the 511's with the 802D, 16 ohm drivers. The new sand filled horn enclosures weigh over 100 pounds each.

Next weekend I'll be tearing apart a pair of furniture grade Karlson cabinets (they sound really bad) and using the cabinets as bass bins for my 416Z, 16 ohm woofers. I'll re-brace the inside, install a tuned port and stuff the cabinet with some polyfil.

For the time being, I'll use the stock crossover. I need to order the new caps, coils and resistors for the new crossover. I'll see what the stock one sounds like but I'm leaning towards building the Model 19 crossover. It has a notch in it to tame the mids a bit. Who knows though, maybe dampening the horn will take that rid-gain out of the equation.

Imperial

• Love keeps us in the air, when we ought to fall.
« Reply #78 on: 19 Aug 2007, 10:57 pm »
We humans make noise/speak... (like what kind of speaker type..) ?
Also... we listen like the inverse of this... just a hint...

Kind of gets one thinking doesn't it...!

Me be "a" horny being...  :thumb: we are all, altecs... aren't we..?
Just different vintage..

Imperial

ab0ez

• 6AR6's aren't just for guided missles!
« Reply #79 on: 31 Aug 2007, 02:50 am »
Klipsch K-horns, followed by Klipsch Cornwalls and Altec A-7's.