Bryston Bi-200 New Integrated

Riverdalium

Re: Bryston Bi-200 New Integrated
« Reply #20 on: 9 Mar 2024, 02:06 am »
This one looks cleaner and more "Bryston" to me.
if only the screen could be ditched.

Riverdalium

« Reply #21 on: 9 Mar 2024, 02:19 am »
There we go.
Less chonky and without buttons scattered randomly

R. Daneel

« Reply #22 on: 9 Mar 2024, 08:17 am »
The price in the EU please?

Mariusz Uszynski

« Reply #23 on: 9 Mar 2024, 12:39 pm »
There we go.
Less chonky and without buttons scattered randomly

Good job Mr.Riverdalium, but if you could only move "BI200 INTERGRATED" and place it under the BRYSTON logo, Black on Black and we have a winner.I'm not a fan of that screen either, it's pointless, at least in my opinion.I remember, there was a tread a year ago, about this unit and some guys wanted a meters, that would be a letdown.

mav52

« Reply #24 on: 9 Mar 2024, 01:28 pm »
Well like everything these days, it looks to be out of my price range. But I like the features.

Riverdalium

« Reply #25 on: 9 Mar 2024, 01:34 pm »
agree
be fair - I doing this in ppt instead of photoshop, so the cut and paste parts aren't smoothed out
and if I was doing it in photoshop I would absolutely change the name to B-200

Mariusz Uszynski

« Reply #26 on: 9 Mar 2024, 01:57 pm »
agree
be fair - I doing this in ppt instead of photoshop, so the cut and paste parts aren't smoothed out
and if I was doing it in photoshop I would absolutely change the name to B-200

Now, that's perfect.I don't want to be exiled from the Bryston Family, but that very first design to me, looks like pressed car plate number.Again, this is my opinion and I love my Bryston gear to death!!!!!!!!!!!!!, we just having discussion, right?

Dan H

« Reply #27 on: 9 Mar 2024, 03:49 pm »
I don't disagree that the Balance buttons look better when aligned with the rest of the buttons. My guess is the designers are leveraging economies of scale from the BP-19 by using its circuit board.

I'm on the fence regarding the display. In this application it is mostly redundant, with the lone exception of providing visual indication of volume level since the volume knob itself does not. How useful such a feature is, is of course, personal preference (I quite like the reference lights on the BR-20). But the display may come back into play if an optional DAC board is offered. Finally, without the display there's a lot of blank space on that side of the unit, lending an un-balanced look to my eye.

There are also likely marketing considerations. Bryston needs to stay true to the niche it has carved out while also acknowledging what the target market demands, all within a certain development budget. If research suggests a display is needed at this price point then a display it shall have, especially since one is already right on the parts shelf.

Fun discussion, but likely moot at this point. I believe the 200 is fully baked, with only minor, low cost tweaks possibly being considered.

R. Daneel

« Reply #28 on: 9 Mar 2024, 06:08 pm »
It looks better with the display. One has to take into account the dimensions of that front panel – it is pretty large and without the display, there is virtually nothing on it, making the proposition even less appealing. It won’t win any industrial design awards either way, that’s for sure.

Someone here mentioned leveraging the economies of scale as a potential reasoning behind the button layout. Let me tell you, any ‘economy of scale’, in any sense, doesn’t apply to any of the products made by manufacturers as small as this. It should not and cannot be a justification for anything. If you want your product to look the part, you hire an industrial designer, that’s how it’s done, especially in the ‘luxury industries’ such as HIFI.

Now, I like the minimalist approach and I even appreciated it at the time when Bryston, compared to say Pass Labs, offered the same for less. Now, at least in the EU, Bryston is offering the same for more and that as sure as hell changes where I stand on this.

zeeman

« Reply #29 on: 9 Mar 2024, 06:53 pm »
This one looks cleaner and more "Bryston" to me.
if only the screen could be ditched.

Why ditch the screen guys?  Virtually every high end manufacturer includes a screen of some sort on their integrateds.   Don't you want to see the volume level?

Don_S

« Reply #30 on: 9 Mar 2024, 07:27 pm »
I really want to be able to see the volume level from my listening chair. That means a larger, but tasteful display.

My tube equipment does not have a volume level display and that is the one thing I would change if I could.

For color I always choose black and monochromatic when possible. I mean chassis and face the same color.

Dan H

« Reply #31 on: 9 Mar 2024, 07:33 pm »
Quote from: R. Daneel
Someone here mentioned leveraging the economies of scale...

Pretty sure that was me. :D

You would agree, I'm certain, that re-designing the BP-19 board to move the Balance buttons would incur some cost and, instead of just one board for two different products, there are two that have to be tracked, ordered, stocked. The program that runs the machine that makes the holes in the face plate would need to be tweaked to move those two buttons. More cost. A large volume manufacturer can spread those costs out across a lot of units with a likely small impact to end user pricing, a small one doesn't have that scale.

Every change has a cost. The variables are how much and who's paying for it.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #32 on: 9 Mar 2024, 07:38 pm »

You would agree, I'm certain, that re-designing the BP-19 board to move the Balance buttons would incur some cost and, instead of just one board for two different products, there are two that have to be tracked, ordered, stocked. The program that runs the machine that makes the holes in the face plate would need to be tweaked to move those two buttons. More cost. A large volume manufacturer can spread those costs out across a lot of units with a likely small impact to end user pricing, a small one doesn't have that scale.

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Riverdalium

« Reply #33 on: 9 Mar 2024, 10:20 pm »

Sure but the redesigned BP-19 would look better with its buttons aligned too, you end up with one board.

Riverdalium

« Reply #34 on: 9 Mar 2024, 10:24 pm »
I really want to be able to see the volume level from my listening chair. That means a larger, but tasteful display.

My tube equipment does not have a volume level display and that is the one thing I would change if I could.

For color I always choose black and monochromatic when possible. I mean chassis and face the same color.

The BR-20 has a super nice illuminated volume dial. More intuitive for visual display of volume

Dan H

« Reply #35 on: 9 Mar 2024, 10:49 pm »
Quote from: Riverdalium
Sure but the redesigned BP-19 would look better with its buttons aligned too, you end up with one board.
Yeah, but the (new) BP-19 is already shipping. So the board and front panel would need to be re-designed at a cost. Bryston would then need to maintain parts for the previous versions and the new version; still two boards. Then there's the cost of the marketing campaign to announce the new and improved BP-19 version.

Mariusz Uszynski

« Reply #36 on: 9 Mar 2024, 10:57 pm »

BP-17³ was nicely designed, its buttons were aligned...

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #37 on: 9 Mar 2024, 10:59 pm »
Don't sweat the buttons.

Mariusz Uszynski

« Reply #38 on: 9 Mar 2024, 11:43 pm »
Don't sweat the buttons.

Oh, it's all your fault Mr.Tanner, your company makes such an amazing gear, we all wanna be part of it, LOL.

mrhyfy

« Reply #39 on: 10 Mar 2024, 01:51 pm »
There's also a thread about the Bi200 on Canuck audio mart. Maybe someone should answer questions and concerns there as well.

Or they can come here with their "concerns".