Technics SL-5 Turntable with Audio-Technica LT131 Cartridge

ebag4

Taken off market.  Thanks for looking.  Ed

Technics SL-5 Direct Drive Automatic Turntable.  I purchased this TT when I was 18, it was been primarily used to record albums onto cassette tape for mobile listening.  I recently built an SLA powered bugle for it (also for sale) but have used it very little since.  I have decided to put my time and funds into my digital system.  The turntable is in perfect working condition, it includes the cartridge (Audio-Technica LT131), the ground and power cables.  It has a very small nick in the lower front center between the controls and a scuff on the acrylic top (which I only saw in the picture, it doesn't show up when looking at it unless you are very close).  I do not have the original box but will pack it very securely for shipping.  I also have an SLA powered Bugle for sale, discounts considered for anyone purchasing both, please see my other ad.  Please PM me with questions.

Asking $115 obo
3% paypal, buyer pays shipping
Thanks for looking,
Ed

« Last Edit: 14 Apr 2007, 03:10 am by ebag4 »

ebag4

Bump.

This one's Plug 'n' Play guys.  Price dropped to $100., I'll take care of the Paypal fees.  Ships from 47136.

Thanks,
Ed

shep

Nice rig. I want one but live in France. Usually you can't be sure what condition they are in aa. Sweet and simple and foolproof...tangential arm. Great beginners TT! Buy it before I crack! (it doesn't do 220v I guess)

ebag4

Thanks Shep, it is a good table for beginners.  I also have a nice Hagerman Bugle that is SLA battery powered for sale.  Put those units together and you have a nice rig for someone wanting to try vinyl without the large cash outlay. 

Sorry, not 220V but I am certain we could come up with something for a few more $$$$$$$$ :lol:.

shep

Damn you lot for making me groan with audio lust! For God's sake buy this AND the phono stage and get it out of my sight! Ed, just out of morbid curiosity: I think the first in the series of these came out around '79
and finished around 85'. I think there were about 5 versions but I have never found out in which order. When I was a youthfull audio snob I used to look at them in the store and pass them by...little did I know that years later I would have "need" crisis! I believe the carts can still be had from, if not Technics directly, then from AT with their huge catalogue. You know anything about their lineage?

ebag4

Hi Shep:
I can tell you what I do know.  I bought this unit in the early eighties (81-82) so I was actually about 20 when I bought it and not 18 as I mentioned earlier (now you are making me dig deep into the memory banks  :lol:).  I used it primarily for ripping albums to cassette tapes for mobile use.  The unit has not had a tremendous amount of playing time, primarily because I was running around during those years.  In 87 I got married and we received a CD player as a gift, so eventually the TT went into storage and has basically been there since.  I recently decided to start using it again so I built a Bugle (now sold BTW), but after a few months I had only played a few albums on it so I have now decided to take my SB3 as the only source and make it as good as my pocketbook will allow.  Sorry about all the history but once you start hitting those old memory cells you just have to let them work their way out :lol:

BTW, this is the second cartridge that has been in it and this one wasn't even used to make cassettes so it should have very low hours on it although it is at least 15 years old.  A standard "P" mount cartridge is what it uses and I believe that those are still available from various manufacturers but don't quote me on that.  Sorry for the drawn out answer Shep, but you asked...kind of.

Best,
Ed

ebag4

BTW Shep, I just checked but cannot find any type of revision number on the unit. 

I will also throw in to the mix my original discwasher album and stylus brushes.  The D4 cleaning fluid is still about 1/3rd full.
Ed

shep

out of my sight! (moan) Don't suppose there's a hidden 220v switch? Why am I going on about this? Well it started when I wanted to listen to my LPs after taking them out of storage. The I realized I really didn't want to spend any serious money on a new TT. Then I was reading all the huppla about the 1200 series and various incarnations of it. THen I remembered this one. Being a big fan of Tangential armed TT's I remembered this and thought "hmm, if the 1200s were so good, why not these, that at the time cost even more?" which is why I'm being a pest ( a trip down memory lane!) plus I bet if these are well cared for, they hold up real well for their age. And YES Ed is offering me a trip to Bali if I can sell this for him aa!
Seriously, for those who don't want to go the steep learning curve of having to do the whole setup routine of a new TT, and are just starting out, this is the way to go!

ebag4

Technics SL-5 Turntable with Audio-Technica LT131 Cartridge
« Reply #8 on: 14 Apr 2007, 03:09 am »
Thanks Shep, your question made me take a look back at the history of this TT.  What I just realized is that this is the last piece I have of my original stereo system.  I think I'll just hang on to this piece, thanks for pointing me there

Best,
Ed

shep

Re: Technics SL-5 Turntable with Audio-Technica LT131 Cartridge
« Reply #9 on: 14 Apr 2007, 07:21 am »
Wise decision! Hey you had your chance guys :icon_lol: No trip to Bali for Shep :cry: These machines are a pig to take apart but if you have the stomach for it, I would take a close look at all the gearing for the arm and make sure it is totally grunge free. Maybe clean it carefully with something you spray and relube it with tiny amounts of Teflon grease or something akin. I think I read somewhere that if the gears and rails start to stick it can end up ruining the whole thing. There are NO parts available unless you buy a used one off E-Bay. But no one in their right mind would/could take this to pieces anyway. Some of the tweaks for the 1200 might be applicable to this: like packing the case with damping stuff. There was a "high end" version of the cart but I don't remember the model. Sigh...