x-sls box volume

uolnad

x-sls box volume
« on: 30 Jul 2020, 08:22 pm »
I have x-sls's for about 2 years now. Though I like them very much,I have never got them to not boom more than I prefer.I won't go into details with what I have tried even discussions with Mr. Richie. So my question is? what about reducing the volume to .75 or so cu.ft. and where would port go.? Ihad these in .5 cabinets which I don't have any more and av/1 before that and never had bass problems. Ant thoughts would be appreciated and no my room can't be done up just for music. I wish 

roscoe65

Re: x-sls box volume
« Reply #1 on: 30 Jul 2020, 11:29 pm »
Why don’t you start by stuffing the port?  The optimum sealed volume is 0.53 cu ft, but larger cabinet may still work well.  You can start by stuffing a Nerf ball in the port.

uolnad

« Reply #2 on: 31 Jul 2020, 12:40 am »
I've stuffed them with everything except what left over from the Thanksgiving turkey
Just messes up mid range

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #3 on: 31 Jul 2020, 01:07 am »
How close are they to the walls, and do you have any stuffing or no rez in them?

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #4 on: 31 Jul 2020, 02:17 am »
What are you driving them with?

uolnad

« Reply #5 on: 31 Jul 2020, 02:45 am »
OK, one more time. Question is any thoughts or experience with a in between box volume? Say..75cu
Ft. Or so. They have all upgrades and are driven by more than adequate electronics. You

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #6 on: 31 Jul 2020, 03:01 am »
We're trying to find better, cheaper options that won't require building smaller cabinets. But you haven't given us any information aside from what speakers you have, & one issue. How is your system set up? And are they close to the walls?

Otherwise there's nothing stopping you from just building a more shallow test cabinet if you think that will work better. But most of us have only built the cabinets as according to plan.

Building smaller cabinets may help your issue, but it isn't a guarantee, and may cause more issues than it solves, esp since it means creating a more square-shaped tower, which isn't ideal, and will likely cause more issues than it solves. (Standing waves within the cabinet especially)
You might also want to try front-porting them, esp if you keep them up against the walls.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #7 on: 31 Jul 2020, 04:10 pm »
If turning them into a sealed box by stuffing the ports didn’t help and you have them lined with NoRez plus polyfill, the only other things I can think of are adding bass traps and or adjusting the speaker positioning.