Martin Logal Motion 15 Bookshelf Speakers 50% off

Tom Bombadil

Martin Logal Motion 15 Bookshelf Speakers 50% off
« on: 10 Apr 2020, 05:28 pm »
Audio Advisor is running a clearance on demo models of the Martin Logan Motion 15 bookshelf speakers.  Nice speakers with very good high frequencies, has received multiple positive reviews.   Normally $399 each, $798/pr, now half of that.   

But if you want them, you need to jump on it, as they have just 4 (2 pr) remaining.  Come with full 5-year warranty and free shipping.

https://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=1MLMO15

Wind Chaser

Re: Martin Logal Motion 15 Bookshelf Speakers 50% off
« Reply #1 on: 10 Apr 2020, 05:37 pm »
Ships to USA only.  :roll:

mcgsxr

« Reply #2 on: 10 Apr 2020, 05:48 pm »
Wind at that price you’re paying way more than the Canuck ad for a B.C. based audio store that was selling them for CDN$500.  NIB.

FireGuy

« Reply #3 on: 10 Apr 2020, 06:19 pm »
FWIW... I road tested a pair of ML towers with the same folded ribbon tweeter a few years back.  It very well could have been the environment they were in,  the down streaming or the source... surprisingly I was not impressed.  The highs never stood at attention they were slouched and had a veiled, sonic signature.  I apologize for being a little negative... YRMV.  Does that mean I would not take a chance of these small monitors today?  Not at all.  If I were in the market, I would look at them positively for a small unassuming secondary system.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #4 on: 10 Apr 2020, 06:35 pm »
Wind at that price you’re paying way more than the Canuck ad for a B.C. based audio store that was selling them for CDN$500.  NIB.

Oh my!

Tom Bombadil

« Reply #5 on: 10 Apr 2020, 06:54 pm »
FWIW... I road tested a pair of ML towers with the same folded ribbon tweeter a few years back.  It very well could have been the environment they were in,  the down streaming or the source... surprisingly I was not impressed.  The highs never stood at attention they were slouched and had a veiled, sonic signature.  I apologize for being a little negative... YRMV.  Does that mean I would not take a chance of these small monitors today?  Not at all.  If I were in the market, I would look at them positively for a small unassuming secondary system.

I haven't heard them.  Here's what the British publication "What Hi-Fi?" wrote about them: 

"Moving up the frequency range, there’s a transparent midrange and a delicate but remarkably detailed treble. Voices are direct and emotionally engaging, and there’s a clear sense of texture to percussion.

Elsewhere, the soundstage is wide open – impressive for a smaller speaker – and instruments are precisely located."

I hear what you are saying about the source.  I once walked past a big system playing at a Magnolia in Best Buy.  High end Martin Logan planar speakers, all McIntosh front end, total system price north of $20K.  They were streaming Spotify through it.  Sounded lifeless.

FireGuy

« Reply #6 on: 12 Apr 2020, 01:27 pm »
I hear what you are saying about the source.  I once walked past a big system playing at a Magnolia in Best Buy.  High end Martin Logan planar speakers, all McIntosh front end, total system price north of $20K.  They were streaming Spotify through it.  Sounded lifeless.

You hear experiences like this every now and then.  Fortunately not too often.  There are frogs in the pond and no prince.  Just need to be careful.  High $ does not always equate to better performance.  When you pay as little for these monitors as they're saying it's not a big investment and not a big deal.

Stu Pitt

« Reply #7 on: 12 Apr 2020, 02:59 pm »
I haven't heard them.  Here's what the British publication "What Hi-Fi?" wrote about them: 

"Moving up the frequency range, there’s a transparent midrange and a delicate but remarkably detailed treble. Voices are direct and emotionally engaging, and there’s a clear sense of texture to percussion.

Elsewhere, the soundstage is wide open – impressive for a smaller speaker – and instruments are precisely located."

The Magnolia near me has probably the same system playing out in the open space leading up to their section. The speakers flank the rack of components and are just about touching it. McIntosh tube amps, tube pre, and some other stuff. It sounds blah. But I’ve heard a very similar one set up correctly in a hifi shop. Sounded great. Not my cup of tea, but I wouldn’t call it lifeless. ML makes excellent speakers. I don’t care for their sonic signature, but I respect them and what they do.

Tom Bombadil

« Reply #8 on: 12 Apr 2020, 06:12 pm »
I've heard the Martin Logan speakers in well setup systems and thought they were very good.    Likewise for the McIntosh iron.

I thought that Magnolia setup, along with using 320K Spotify through a Sonos box as their source, might have been the worst setup I've ever seen.

Stu Pitt

« Reply #9 on: 12 Apr 2020, 10:41 pm »
I've heard the Martin Logan speakers in well setup systems and thought they were very good.    Likewise for the McIntosh iron.

I thought that Magnolia setup, along with using 320K Spotify through a Sonos box as their source, might have been the worst setup I've ever seen.
My local Magnolia uses Bluesound Nodes and Tidal. At least that’s what appeared to be being used. I know they use Tidal to demo other stuff, as I was inquiring about Bluesound gear there before and the guy handed me his phone to play with the interface.

I’ve also always been impressed with McIntosh gear. Never heard their speakers though.

Brad

« Reply #10 on: 13 Apr 2020, 05:45 pm »
I'm using the previous version of these in home theater.  Matching monitors for L/C/R and I really like their sound.
Driven by a mid-level Onkyo receiver.
Very engaging for teevee and movies.

(the only change to new version was cosmetic)