trouble with the AVA website

rez

trouble with the AVA website
« on: 24 Dec 2010, 09:54 pm »
Anyone else having trouble getting on to the AVA website - all I get is an error message.

adydula

• Restricted
Re: trouble with the AVA website
« Reply #1 on: 24 Dec 2010, 10:11 pm »
Cant access it here as well....
Same error
Alex

Listens2tubes

« Reply #2 on: 24 Dec 2010, 10:38 pm »
Hmm, weird problem there for sure.  :o Just checked a link to the T8+ pre I put up yesterday and it has the same problem. Hopefully it's an update glitch.

Wayner

« Reply #3 on: 24 Dec 2010, 11:07 pm »
Please forgive the inconvenience. Maybe site is off line for maintenance and repairs. We are all still here and well wishing everyone a Merry Christmas. If you need anything, like right now Frank's email address is avahifi@comcast.net.

Wayner  :D
« Last Edit: 25 Dec 2010, 01:21 pm by Wayner »

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #4 on: 24 Dec 2010, 11:12 pm »
If you need anything, like right now Frank's email address is avahifi@comcast.net.

Wayner  :D

:o  Frank is still open this late on Christmas Eve?

srb

« Reply #5 on: 24 Dec 2010, 11:25 pm »
Please forgive the inconvenience. Site is off line for maintenance and repairs

It's pretty standard practice to redirect to a maintenance page that would say just that (and avoid inquiries).

Steve

avahifi

« Reply #6 on: 25 Dec 2010, 02:44 am »
Yes, we know the AVA site is down.  Thanks for the heads up anyway.

Its not down for a housekeeping issue as Wayner suggested, there is some kind of issue happening.  I have a call in for my web guy and he should have it fixed just as soon as he finishes Christmas time with his family. That comes first.

Merry Christmas,

Frank Van Alstine

rez

« Reply #7 on: 25 Dec 2010, 05:04 am »
Thanks Frank, I was pretty keen to see the new website after being away for a while.  I'm thinking of purchasing your new DAC so I can stream audio from my iMac to the system in the living room.  Based on the "buzz" this seems like a very nice unit.  I also wanted to check on the latest prices on the Vision DAC/Preamp combo and whether this had the same choice of inputs as the Vision EC DAC as my old NAD304 (being used as a preamp only) is now a bit long in the tooth and may not be up to the standard of the new DAC.

Merry Christmas!
Roman

Lefty052347

• AVA Associate
« Reply #8 on: 25 Dec 2010, 08:16 am »
The Vision DAC Pre-amp combo has only one coax input.  The EC DACs have two coax inputs plus 2 optical inputs for a a total of 4. 

You probably want more than one input (computer plus player) so I would recommend the an EC version.

The DAC Pre combo is a nice one but has only one digital input.  I use one in my living room system.

Regards,
Dean

avahifi

« Reply #9 on: 25 Dec 2010, 05:53 pm »
Actually, we can supply the Vision DAC/Preamp combo unit with two coax digital inputs, selected by a back panel toggle switch.  Its a $50 option.

Merry Christmas,

Frank Van Alstine

rez

« Reply #10 on: 25 Dec 2010, 10:23 pm »
I want to feed the DAC from an Apple Airport Express but also to turn my old marantz cd-63se into a 'transport only' by feeding the digital coax out from that unit into the DAC - the marantz has both a digital coax as well as an optical output so that should be no problem. 

I have one concern with the itunes wifi connection - the Apple Airport Express I'm planning to use for the wifi connection to my itunes library has only one output for audio - Apple's literature says it's a "3.5-mm audio minijack for analog or optical digital sound" - is there a 3.5 mm minijack cable that I could use to connect to one of the digital coax inputs on the DAC/preamp? 
Thanks

Brett Buck

« Reply #11 on: 25 Dec 2010, 10:40 pm »
I have one concern with the itunes wifi connection - the Apple Airport Express I'm planning to use for the wifi connection to my itunes library has only one output for audio - Apple's literature says it's a "3.5-mm audio minijack for analog or optical digital sound" - is there a 3.5 mm minijack cable that I could use to connect to one of the digital coax inputs on the DAC/preamp? 

No. Its a fiber-optic cable that plug into the minijack. It puts out only a TOSLink optical signal.  You need to convert it to digital coax. Frank sells a converter, and the Inday switcher converts one to the other.

Brett

rez

« Reply #12 on: 25 Dec 2010, 10:43 pm »
Thanks Brett, that sounds excellent! Hopefully the converter is not too pricey!

rez

« Reply #13 on: 25 Dec 2010, 10:46 pm »
Actually, we can supply the Vision DAC/Preamp combo unit with two coax digital inputs, selected by a back panel toggle switch.  Its a $50 option.

Merry Christmas,

Frank Van Alstine

Thanks Frank, this is sounding very good!  Hopefully the website will be up soon.
Best regards,
Roman

srb

« Reply #14 on: 25 Dec 2010, 10:55 pm »
The Inday DA4X has 4 optical or coaxial inputs, will ouput either optical or coaxial and has remote control.  While I don't know if an intermediary device as this might add jitter or degrade the signal, there are a number of AudioCircle folks using them in their systems.  http://www.inday.com/da4x/da4x.htm

I couldn't personally fuss around in the back of a component for a toggle switch.

Steve

rez

« Reply #15 on: 25 Dec 2010, 11:50 pm »
Thanks srb!  Looks like there are some great options out there - even better if the solution has some mileage from AudioCircle folks!
Roman

decal

« Reply #16 on: 25 Dec 2010, 11:56 pm »
It's pretty standard practice to redirect to a maintenance page that would say just that (and avoid inquiries).

I couldn't personally fuss around in the back of a component for a toggle switch.

Why do you find it necessary to frequently post negative sounding remarks on  AVA's circle? Just curious.Happy and Safe Holidays to you and yours.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #17 on: 26 Dec 2010, 12:10 am »

Why do you find it necessary to frequently post negative sounding remarks on  AVA's circle? Just curious.Happy and Safe Holidays to you and yours.

I don't think he is being negative....I tend to agree with him on this matter.  Other manufactuers do this without a problem so it can be done. 

srb

« Reply #18 on: 26 Dec 2010, 12:11 am »
Why do you find it necessary to frequently post negative sounding remarks on AVA's circle? Just curious.Happy and Safe Holidays to you and yours.

I am saying that if maintenance was being performed, we would have very likely been presented with a standard maintenance message.  However because a php script error was being returned, I was saying that it was likely that it wasn't a mainentance routine.

I am saying that I would prefer to either add a switcher or get the separate preamp and DAC with a front panel switch.  If you want to reach in the back of your rack for an input select switch, you are certainly entitled to your preference.

I am curious why you find the need to read in negativity when there really isn't any intended.

Steve

rcag_ils

« Reply #19 on: 26 Dec 2010, 05:54 pm »
I am a bit behind the curve on these digital stuff, I perfer analog, and I only use one input for my digital equipment. Why would you need four digital inputs? Do they all sound differently good, or one sounds better than the others? If so, then you would only listen to that one best input all the time, right?

But in any case, to fit more inputs jacks into a AVA chassis probably wouldn't be enough room to put all the control on the front panel.

I don't see it as a negative post at all.