Tube amp to Ultra 350/550... anyone done it?

robinje

Tube amp to Ultra 350/550... anyone done it?
« on: 20 May 2008, 04:12 am »
I am currently running a McIntosh MC275 tube power amp and Harbeth Compact 7ES-3 speakers.  I also have a hybrid tube preamp (although not AVA).  The Harbeths are fairly warm and "lush" on their own, and I feel that I could use more detail and quickness.  I am thinking that replacing the MC275 with an AVA Ultra 350 (or even 550) would do the trick and bring about the additional detail/quickness that I feel lacking.  Either of these would be more than enough power for the Harbeths, but the 550 is attractive in that if I ever get rid of my speakers, it would be able to drive whatever replacements I would decide upon.  I don't want to knock the MC275 because it's a fine sounding (and looking) amp.  It's just that I don't think the synergy is quite there in my system and for my tastes. 

Has anyone here replaced an MC275 with one of Frank's Ultra series amps?  Do you think this would be a wise upgrade path?  I could sell the MC275 and certainly have surplus funds for music!  I am tempted to make the change, but I want to investigate it thoroughly.  Thanks in advance...

robinje

Re: Tube amp to Ultra 350/550... anyone done it?
« Reply #1 on: 20 May 2008, 11:41 am »
Thanks for your insightful response.  Yes, another alternative I am considering is keeping the McIntosh amp and selling the Harbeths to buy Salks.  I'm not in a big hurry, so I'll consider these alternatives for a while.  There is a possibility that my family may be moving in a couple of months, which would mean a new/different listening room than my current one.  I will at least wait until then before making any changes.  I'll need to assess my new listening environment first, when/if the move occurs.  Thanks again...   :D

Dan Kolton

« Reply #2 on: 20 May 2008, 02:44 pm »
I've owned a McIntosh MC-240 (not the 275), and now own the AVA Ultra 550.  There's no doubt in my mind that the AVA will present superior bottom end, and probably be less romantic, but without harshness often associated with solid state.

OldCoder

« Reply #3 on: 20 May 2008, 02:56 pm »
One alternative that may exist for you is to solicit an ULTRA amp owner who live near you to bring their amp over for a comparison to the MC 275 / demonstration.  Frank's customers are a lot of his sales force, and I think they'd be happy to do this kind of thing.

I have compared the two amps, and each has its strengths.  To me, the Ultra 550 sounds more detailed and muscular.   The bass control goes well beyond what the MC 275 can do.  The Ultra 550 can drive just about anything, using any kind of music

In the MC 275's favor, in my room it presented a larger soundstage, more height, width and depth, when the discs that had such information.   If you have speakers that don't require a lot of power, or you listen mostly to jazz, it could be a tossup.  

martyo

« Reply #4 on: 20 May 2008, 03:05 pm »
superior bottom end, and probably be less romantic, but without harshness

Just what I'd look for in a woman I mean amp.

:rotflmao:            Love the hi-fi-talk.