New Venuette model

Danny Richie

Re: New Venuette model
« Reply #40 on: 14 Sep 2009, 04:11 pm »
Steve,

Thanks for getting us back on track and laying out the non-subjective differences of the two speakers.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #41 on: 14 Sep 2009, 09:57 pm »
  A true comparison of the speakers will come this week.

As mentioned, I look forward to it.

Danny-
will you do a tour of this speaker at all?

Danny Richie

« Reply #42 on: 14 Sep 2009, 10:03 pm »
These are a little heavy to be passing around. Make plans to come to the RMAF to give them a listen.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #43 on: 14 Sep 2009, 10:06 pm »
These are a little heavy to be passing around. Make plans to come to the RMAF to give them a listen.

I've gone four years in a a row....can't go this year as I have prior commitments.  Will you be at www.axpona.com?

richidoo

« Reply #44 on: 18 Sep 2009, 10:43 am »
Danny, in your OP you mentioned "there is plenty of info on this speaker released already.."   Can you point me toward more info? 

Does V2 has servo subs?  The amp in steve's pic look like a rhythmik amp.
Thanks
Rich

Danny Richie

« Reply #45 on: 18 Sep 2009, 01:11 pm »

richidoo

« Reply #46 on: 18 Sep 2009, 01:38 pm »
Thanks danny. The "figured corrogate" boxes contain the rythmik servo amps?  What size bass drivers?
Thanks

Danny Richie

« Reply #47 on: 18 Sep 2009, 02:08 pm »
For now, and until the custom sub amps that I ordered arrive, I had to use a couple of the Rythmik non-servo amps.

sl_1800

« Reply #48 on: 18 Sep 2009, 08:02 pm »
Listening Impressions of the Venuette vs Orion.

First let me say that Danny ask me to tell it just like I hear it, no sugar coating for his sake.  He said he would be happy just knowing his Venuette was even close to the Orion.  With that said I have never heard any speakers that strike me like my Orion's, and I mean nothing for me has even been close, until now.

Well it is close indeed, let me start with the hair splitting differences, ie small differences then we will move onto the bigger differences and the problems they are causing me.

The small things are: the highs on the Orions are a tinny bit smoother, the midrange on the Venuette is more detailed, and the bass on the Orion offers more detail.  These differences are small enough it would be hard to tell it if they were not side by side.

Now for the big things:  the soundstage depth, the Venuette gives a closer to the performer presentation.  The front of the stage is just in front of the speaker and extends to the depth the recording captured, the Orion's stage starts just behind the speaker with the same depth field.  This is giving the impression of sitting closer to the performers with the Venuette.  Is this a good thing?  You would need to judge it for yourself.

Keep in mind the Venuette is a dipole from the bass up to the mid-tweet xover point, from their up it is not dipole as there are no highs radiating from the rear of the Venuette.  The Orion on the other hand has a rear tweeter making a dipole from the bottom to the top.  For me this rear tweeter is a very good thing adding better definition of instrument placement in stage depth.  Now for side to side placement that is were things become perplexing for me.  The Venuette has a much stronger center stage image enough so that I am in need of doing something with my Orion's to try to create that with them.  The left to right sound stage with the Venuette is so real it is freaky at first.  Even non audio people hear it right out of the gate.  Now at the extreme sides of the stage, hard left and hard right, the Orion might have the edge. 

The Venuette's left to right imaging is so good it really draws you into the performance and makes listening a blast.  This speaker is also more dynamic than the Orion which also gives a sense of live music.

Hearing the Venuette is now making me play with placement of my Orion's to try to capture that same imaging.  Can it be done, only time will tell.

So which is the winner?  Well it depends on what you value most.  If I had never heard the Orion I could live happy with the Venuette, but for me there is just enough to the Orion to make me stay with them, and of course I have a lot of time and money invested in them.  Now I really want to hear the V1 in my room, talk about dynamics in spades!!!!!

dvenardos

« Reply #49 on: 18 Sep 2009, 08:30 pm »
If the V2 is so close, it sounds like it might be better for you if you don't hear the V1.:)

So which is the winner?  Well it depends on what you value most.  If I had never heard the Orion I could live happy with the Venuette, but for me there is just enough to the Orion to make me stay with them, and of course I have a lot of time and money invested in them.  Now I really want to hear the V1 in my room, talk about dynamics in spades!!!!!

Danny Richie

« Reply #50 on: 18 Sep 2009, 09:09 pm »
Steve,

I really should have sent you with the little FMOD modules that I picked up from PE: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=266-272

I originally picked them up because my big amps were pushing the P-Audio Coaxial a bit to hard. It was to be expected as they are playing in free air with no high-pass filter on the woofer.

So I added the little FMOD modules and noticed that it not only protected the woofers from being pushed hard, and lightened the load on my amps (as if it ever were a load for them), but it thinned out the lower vocal region just a touch and pushed it deeper into the sounds stage. It may have also improved the imaging a little.

We were also using those FMOD modules at Art's house the first day that you heard the V-2's.

It's also a pretty cheap tweak.

mikeb

« Reply #51 on: 18 Sep 2009, 09:13 pm »
Steve,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the two speakers.

Can you give us some insight into your room i.e. size, treatments, supporting equipment and such?

Also, if you were going to be buying a whole new system (Pre-amp,Power amp, speakers) for a new room in your house, would you go with the V2 vs another Orion system? I'm asking this question keeping the cost of the required system in mind. Not just the speaker cost but the supporting equipment to drive them.

Mike

Danny Richie

« Reply #52 on: 18 Sep 2009, 09:14 pm »
Oh yeah, one more very inexpensive tweak that will take the V-2's up a notch on your system is to run the Virtue Audio amp on batteries. It will drop the noise floor and pick up the resolution in the upper range. It also improves imaging and image layering too.

Still, considering the comparison that you just made and the fact that the V-2's are being powered by a $269 chip amp, makes me pretty happy.

Thanks for posting your feedback.

sl_1800

« Reply #53 on: 18 Sep 2009, 11:18 pm »
Danny thanks for the info on the Fmod units, I may get some for the heck of it.  Also I will try the battery power on the Virtue amp tonight to see what that will do.  My statement about the soundstage seeming a little closer is not a bad thing, just different.

Mikeb,  My room is small, 11'8" x 14'8" x 8', it is treated well now, just finished the room treatments before the Venuette arrived.  I use 5 ASC half rounds on the wall behind the speakers and a ASC Tube trap in each corner of the room.  The side walls are treated with a combination of a ASC wall panel and some mods to them by me.  The wall behind the listener is lined heavy with fiberglass insulation to kill the rear wall bounce.

If I were buying all new, the Venuette would make the cut for sure, powered by the Virtue or perhaps a Dodd battery powered tub amp.  As for source I only use digital so my Cambridge dac has switching for different sources so I have very little use for a preamp.  I mostly play music files from my Macbook to the dac via optical.

To be honest the Venuette with a cheap amp like the Virtue makes for a great sounding system.  Add it up, speakers $1295.00, amp $270.00, dac $400.00, Macbook $1000.00, cables......role your own cheap.  Now thats only 3 grand in a system that kicks butt in a major way.  Most of you probably already have a computer or else you would not be reading this so if we take that out of the system price then you would have a system that pushes state of the art for only 2G!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  It's a no brainer choice and I'm sure I will be building some of these for a friend once he gets off his wallet.

mikeb

« Reply #54 on: 19 Sep 2009, 03:21 am »
Danny,

Why did you choose to not use Servo Amps for controlling the excursion on these open baffle speakers? Wouldn't it tighten up the bass a little... not that it sounded bad when I heard them at Arthur's GTG by any means?

Danny Richie

« Reply #55 on: 19 Sep 2009, 03:44 am »
Why did you choose to not use Servo Amps for controlling the excursion on these open baffle speakers? Wouldn't it tighten up the bass a little... not that it sounded bad when I heard them at Arthur's GTG by any means?

Oh sure it would be better. But not only would it require the direct servo amps but also the servo woofers and that would have increased the price by about $600.

This V-2 (Venuette) kit is only $1,295 for the pair.

Another issue is that the larger motor structure on the servo woofers would not have fit into the 9" wide internal opening of the V-2. And increasing the front baffle size around the 8" woofer would have increased the surface reflections and hurt the imaging. It would have hurt the old WAF as well.

sl_1800

« Reply #56 on: 19 Sep 2009, 12:37 pm »
Danny is right, the WAF on these speakers is high.

mikeb

« Reply #57 on: 19 Sep 2009, 01:15 pm »
I agree. Not worth the nearly 50% increase in price to make a small improvement.

As far as WAF goes......... My wife immediately said we can put a set in the LR when I showed her the pics form the GTG. So I for sure don't want to ruin that advantage. :nono:

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #58 on: 19 Sep 2009, 01:33 pm »
I'm confused now...I thought the V-1 was the Venuette.  I see in the above post the V-2 is the Venuette.  Help!

Where is all the info on the website? 

cujobob

« Reply #59 on: 19 Sep 2009, 02:09 pm »
V-1 was supposed to be Venue but that name was taken...later, when the V-2 came out, it was dubbed Venuette as it is a scaled down version (smaller Coaxial driver, no servo subs)