There are so many GR-Research speakers - which once are "better"?

Edgar77

I am pretty sure I will build GR-Research speakers but I am a little confused about all the options.

Here are a couple of options with a similar price point:
X-LS Encore Kit   $249.00 - $795.50
X-Statik Kit   $669.00 - $891.00
NX-Studio      $899.00

It's pretty obvious that they are all different speakers. What are the main differences?

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
If you can pair them with a good sub or 2, the NX-Studio is clearly the best of that lot (and one of the very best speakers in the world, period).

mkrawcz

Don't be fooled by the relative closeness in price as it's not much of a reflection on the difference in performance levels compared to retail speakers. The NX-Studio is by far the best of those 3. My comparison is, the NX-Studio's with subs easily outperforms my old $10k Focal 1038be's across the board. The XLS Encore's don't. The clarity and resolution of the NX-Studio is on a whole different level. 

Folsom

Form what I've heard (trusted ears) the studio seems like a winner.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
I love my XLS, even at the base price. They're an excellent start into the world of what a great DIY kit can do.

The X-Statixs have a very similar tone, but the mids are spacous and offer a fuller, richer tone and have a nice presence.
I had a pair, but shipping caused damage to one of them, so in order to get a refund I had to give the damaged tower.. so I'm in the process of ordering the kit & flatpack for a replacement tower, as well as upgraded replacement crossovers & tube connectors for both towers..

I'm currently in the process of building my own NX-Studios! I didn't get the chance to hear Danny's personal pair in person but from Tyson's review, as well as Ron & his Bro's video, and SonicJoy's build thread. they're often regarded as the best bookshelf speakers anyone can buy.
I'm hoping to have the cabinets finished up by this month so all I'll have to do is assemble the crossover and install the components and enjoy, once the drivers are back in stock!👍

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
Danny doesn’t really price his kits like other manufacturers.  His are based more on parts cost and complexity of design.  That’s why they overlap.  And that’s why they are a tremendous value.  There are distinctions and even with each kit you’re given the choice of parts quality.

Speakers sold by big companies seem to have neatly structured lines with much more varied pricing which is somewhat deceiving as most of them still use really cheap crossover parts. 

Also notice the totality of each design.

X-LS is a small ported 2–way speaker typically mounted on a speaker stand.  Great for small rooms or can be combined with a sub for full range sound.  It’s a great general purpose speaker that can perform well with its base crossover parts but sounds even better with better parts.

X-Statik is a 3-way sealed tower with open baffle midrange drivers.  A unique design that needs space behind it to sound its best.  Its value really exceeds the cost of the kits.  They still don’t produce the lowest notes so if you want that you will need a sub.  I have these in my living room paired with a single sealed servo sub and the performance is jaw dropping! 

The NX-Studio is next level performance due to the custom drivers.  As it’s name implies this is Danny’s idea for a “small” yet exceptional 2-way speaker.  It still requires a sub for bass.  The tweeter is in a unique open baffle arrangement that allows for closer to wall placement.

VinceT

Then there is the Otica-MTM and Wedgie monitors.

acou

Great explanations about the difference between speakers. And yes what about the Otica MTM and the Wedgie,
Can someone add them to the mix and talk about the difference?

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
Great explanations about the difference between speakers. And yes what about the Otica MTM and the Wedgie,

Those are another class/level of speaker all together. They are full open baffle and have to be paired with open baffle subs. It’s best to think of them as a two part speaker consisting of a bass unit (dual OB sub) and a midrange/tweeter unit.

Both the Wedgies and NX-Otica MTMs have the same tweeter but the Oticas use the much larger NQ midrange driver vs the smaller LGK midrange drivers in the Wedgies. This gives the Oticas a fuller more robust midrange. The very narrow baffle of the Wedgies give them an edge in imaging.

The Wedgies are best used in a small room. In a medium size room or larger the Oticas are the better choice. Though if the room is big enough (say 16’ x 18’ or more), the full size NX-Oticas and triple OB subs is a higher performing option.

Since these are full open baffle speakers, they have to be at least 3ft into the room, more is better.

They are also in a whole different category price wise. For a pair of monitors and dual subs expect to spend $4,000+ by the time you get them built. I have close to $5,500 in mine but what you get for that money is a level of performance that has to be heard to be believed.

Edgar77

I just googled "Otica MTM" and "Wedgie" and I found some pictures. But I didn't find them on the GR-Research website. Are they somewhere hidden or not yet on that site or not there anymore or what's that all about?

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
They aren't on the web site. There is a lot of information about both on this forum. You can do a search for "Wedgie" and NX-Otica MTM" to find the threads.

The Wedgie is currently out of production until Danny finalizes his new LGK drivers.

Danny Richie

The A/V Series has been a solid line that has been really good for audio/video applications. They are over achievers that I have sold tons of.

The X Series line takes things up a notch with the higher quality Peerless tweeter. They are designed to be the best bang for the buck out there. And the various models target different applications.

The NX Series is designed to be the best that they can be regardless of price. And they easily compete with the best of the best at any price.

Our prices are all based on what all of the parts and drivers cost. So no fluff is involved.   

Paulypops

Hi all I am new to join Audio Circle specifically for this GR Research group. I've wanted to build good kit speakers for years but didn't trust any of them until Finding GR because I have my own designed speakers and after watching Danny's videos, I have found 4 major design floors to my speakers that prevent any good sound staging. I think it's funny what an amateur I've been but still my speakers I prefer to Mackie studio monitors and Jamo speakers I've compared them too. So not a bad effort. I appreciate Danny's expertise. My speakers use little aluminium cone drivers and planar tweeters.
For my music tastes and budget I think the X statics would be best but my room will not quite fit them in so I will go for the NX Studio. I would like a rich midrange for rock music. And I have a classic music collection of 60's classical record just because those tube stereo recordings sound great. In which I want soundstage depth. I will have to try the AV0's one day too.
Both those speakers are out of stock right now, so I have to wait. Thanks, for this thread. I was very stuck on making a decision.

mkane

Both excellent. Using Aleph J @ 25w

mkane

sorry^^^

rtate

@mkane,  what is that speaker in the first picture ?

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
@mkane,  what is that speaker in the first picture ?
thats the SuperMini, Danny's all planar monitor.
So long as you can get your hands on some BG Neo10s you can still build a pair.

Speaker Challenged

Guys please stop. The bank balance is still a little sore from Christmas and I am enjoying my XlS-Encores. But those Studios do look good.....  :lol:

I think you would be happy with any on Danny's speaker packages, just my 2 cents.

SC