7B Cubed still a good purchase?

mesonto

7B Cubed still a good purchase?
« on: 22 Sep 2020, 11:41 pm »
Two questions actually:

1. Will the 7B cubed match well with Focal Sopra 3's?
2. Are the 7B cubed from 2015/2016 still a top monoblock in comparison to other high-end amps today?

R. Daneel

Re: 7B Cubed still a good purchase?
« Reply #1 on: 24 Sep 2020, 01:00 pm »
Two questions actually:

1. Will the 7B cubed match well with Focal Sopra 3's?
2. Are the 7B cubed from 2015/2016 still a top monoblock in comparison to other high-end amps today?

Hi!

1. The "match" will depend on what you consider a pleasurable sound. If you're considering the Focal, then I assume you've already heard them and know it's a highly lucid speaker. Utterly smooth but with fast transients. It is the epitome of high-end. If you absolutely like everything about them and do not feel they need any "adjusting", then Bryston will be a good match because it will only add to the strengths of Focal. If on the other hand you think Focal sounds too assertive, upfront or bright, the Bryston will not be a good match and you probably shouldn't be considering the Focal in the first place.
2. Bryston 7B is seriously high-end and if I had the money, I wouldn't hesitate to buy a pair.

Cheers,
Antun

mesonto

« Reply #2 on: 24 Sep 2020, 01:15 pm »
1. The "match" will depend on what you consider a pleasurable sound. If you're considering the Focal, then I assume you've already heard them and know it's a highly lucid speaker.

Autun,

Thank you for replying!

1. Yes, I replaced my Wilson Sophia's with the Sopra's. I actually hear a full range of music now where I didn't with the Sophia's. The pair of Wilson's are now my back channels. So I do appreciate all the new sound I never heard before. But I also have an older Sonic Frontiers tube stereo amp which I wish to replace, and I am hoping the Bryston 7B3's will add the quickness I have been missing but also clarity but be just as open as my old tube amp.

2. The only thing I am worried about is that the Bryston's are already about 5 years old, and Bryston usually replace/refresh their equipment every 7 years or so, so I was wondering if they are already long in the tooth, so to speak, and that there may be other amplifiers out there  (at a similar price -- this one maybe difficult) that are perhaps better sounding because of advancements in the last 5 years.

- james

R. Daneel

« Reply #3 on: 25 Sep 2020, 05:26 am »
Hi James!

Well, the "cube" revision is one step ahead of the "SST2" revision. Try to remember that if something is spectacular-sounding today, it will still be spectacular in ten years. Take your SF amplifier for example, it is still very much sought after. I have a friend in South Africa who swears upon these amplifiers and can't get enough of them even though the brand doesn't really exist any longer.

What I would suggest is for you to borrow a Bryston amplifier, let's say a 4B SST2 or similar, just to experience it with your speakers in your room. If you like it, you will certainly like the newest models even more. If you don't, I doubt you'll find the improvements with the newest models sufficient to suddenly start liking it.

Cheers,
Antun

mesonto

« Reply #4 on: 27 Sep 2020, 12:04 am »
What I would suggest is for you to borrow a Bryston amplifier, let's say a 4B SST2 or similar, just to experience it with your speakers in your room. If you like it, you will certainly like the newest models even more. If you don't, I doubt you'll find the improvements with the newest models sufficient to suddenly start liking it.

Autun,

Thank you for your advice... I pulled the trigger today!

I found a used pair at a dealer today for a really good price and I bought them. Now if I don't like them as much as my SF Power 2, I will turn around and sell them for very little loss. I can't wait to get them this week. I think, after talking to the dealer, I will be thrilled with the extra power, the blackness of sound, the bass quickness and perhaps even the soundstage they will afford me. My fingers are crossed, I have been married to the SF Power 2 for well over 2.5 decades and weirdly enough I feel like I am breaking up with it! haha!

Thanks,
James