Bryston B135 Cube

Tubegem

Bryston B135 Cube
« on: 8 Aug 2020, 03:01 pm »
Greetings. Looking at purchasing a slightly used B135 cubed.
I have some depth issues in the current cabinet. I have seen the depth of the unit as both 15 & 16 inches. Can someone please verify actual depth from front of volume knob to end of speaker posts.
Unit has neither DAC nor Phono. Can either be added to a preowned unit?
I believe the dac board is same as BD3, but no USB nor AES input. How would one play DSD files? Currently using the Sony HAP-Z1ES which has USB out only. I’m hoping to take advantage of the of the newer dac with toslink for tv as a bonus.
Speakers are Gershman Studio 2, 87 db into 6 ohms, so power should be adequate?
Thanks.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: Bryston B135 Cube
« Reply #1 on: 8 Aug 2020, 04:58 pm »
Greetings. Looking at purchasing a slightly used B135 cubed.
I have some depth issues in the current cabinet. I have seen the depth of the unit as both 15 & 16 inches. Can someone please verify actual depth from front of volume knob to end of speaker posts.
Unit has neither DAC nor Phono. Can either be added to a preowned unit?
I believe the dac board is same as BD3, but no USB nor AES input. How would one play DSD files? Currently using the Sony HAP-Z1ES which has USB out only. I’m hoping to take advantage of the of the newer dac with toslink for tv as a bonus.
Speakers are Gershman Studio 2, 87 db into 6 ohms, so power should be adequate?
Thanks.

Hi

Its 16 inches if you include the binding posts and the volume knob (that's what she said).

Yes you can add the DAC or the MM Phono later if you wish.

The DAC is the same as the one in the BP-17 (2 optical and 2 COAX). You need USB to play DSD.

james

Stu Pitt

« Reply #2 on: 10 Aug 2020, 12:53 am »
Hi

Its 16 inches if you include the binding posts and the volume knob (that's what she said).

Yes you can add the DAC or the MM Phono later if you wish.

The DAC is the same as the one in the BP-17 (2 optical and 2 COAX). You need USB to play DSD.

james
Would a USB to coax converter work to pass along DSD? If so, the OP has a few options and can make the DAC card in the B135 work.

fbny71

« Reply #3 on: 24 Sep 2020, 09:23 pm »
Would a USB to coax converter work to pass along DSD? If so, the OP has a few options and can make the DAC card in the B135 work.

You have to convert the DSD to FLAC - 24/192 max.

I've done this using the FREE Sonore converter https://www.sonore.us/dsd2flac.html

Tubegem

« Reply #4 on: 24 Sep 2020, 09:58 pm »
You have to convert the DSD to FLAC - 24/192 max.

I've done this using the FREE Sonore converter https://www.sonore.us/dsd2flac.html
Thanks for the info and link

servingko

« Reply #5 on: 29 Sep 2020, 04:30 am »
When you have the B135 cubed let us know your thoughts.   I have one with the D/A board and am very impressed.  Currently powering a pair of Middle T’s In a bedroom system and evaluating it vs the BP6 and a 3B2 I have had for a number of years.

Tubegem

« Reply #6 on: 30 Sep 2020, 07:01 pm »
When you have the B135 cubed let us know your thoughts.   I have one with the D/A board and am very impressed.  Currently powering a pair of Middle T’s In a bedroom system and evaluating it vs the BP6 and a 3B2 I have had for a number of years.
I will be interested in your evaluation. I plan on going the 3.14 route instead, since it gives me USB that supports native dsd, and hopefully Amazon Music HD soon.