Bryston Question 3bCubed or 4bCubed

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
Re: Bryston Question 3bCubed or 4bCubed
« Reply #20 on: 12 Apr 2020, 01:12 pm »
Sensitivity spec has absolutely nothing to do with the quality of the speakers. There are great speakers from very low to very high sensitivity. And there are awful speakers in the same range. All that spec tells you is how loud the speaker will go with a given amount of power behind it.

Sorry. I wasn't commenting at all about his speaker quality (I haven't heard his spkrs...)
I was commenting about the match between the putative amp's power and the spkr sensitivity. Lower sensitivity, more power needed to produce a given vdB at 1 m distance.
87-dB sensitivity seems low vs. many other spkrs (like mine -- 90-dB).

cheers

Edit: oops my bad. I thought you were citing my earlier posting re. 87-dB.
cheers

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #21 on: 12 Apr 2020, 01:15 pm »
@Canadian Maestro @ gbaby    what sensitivity are your speakers  i know my 87 is a hair low to be high end for sure

Mine are 90 decibels. I went from a Bryston 4B2 to 14B2; not really needed, but Kevin Wolff at Vienna Acoustics recommended adding more power to drive my Mozart Grand SE speakers. Since then, I haven't heard any strain whatsoever even on louder passages.

cheers

R. Daneel

« Reply #22 on: 15 Apr 2020, 03:05 pm »
Fellas, remember that manufacturers don't necessariliy always give an accurate estimate of the sensitivity. Sometimes it is lower than specified, sometimes it is higher. What you should also take into account - and this is really paramount - is how loud a person listens to music. 87 dB is a good sensitivity and I don't know where audio journalists came up with the idea 85 dB is a low sensitivity speaker. To reach 100 dB SPL you need a gain of 15 dB which equals 32 W of power. Do you really need 10 times more than that for reserve? Surely not. What is more important is amplifier's ability to deliver instantaneous current.

Speaking of which, most American and European amplifiers are a joke when it comes to this, as if 60 A is something to brag about when Japanese high-end amplifiers deliver twice that or sometimes even a lot more than that.

This can be seen from measurements - a competently designed amplifier  will always increase the power output (measured in Watts) while reducing the load from 8 to 2 or even 1 Ohm. An amplifier that cannot deliver high current will actually output fewer Watts into a lower load. So for example, it can deliver 100 W itno 8 and 200 W into 4 Ohm but once the load drops to 2 Ohm, it suddenly delivers only 80 W or goes into protection mode. That's not the case with 3B or 4B but 2.5B isn't very fond of low loads.

This is why speaker's impedance curve is typically a lot more revealing of the quality of engineering gone into the speaker than sheer sensitivity.

It is how an amplifier behaves in these conditions that ultimately define how 'powerful' it is. I would challenge anyone to compare a Denon PMA-2000AE amplifier with any of the modern amplifiers of the same or even double the power rating.

Also remember that manufacturers and magazines have to sell amplifiers so don't spend money on what you don't need. As long as you have enough, it is enough. If you don't, then it's a different matter. This is why you should always try to audition speakers with your own amplifier or at least, something very similar.

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #23 on: 15 Apr 2020, 05:07 pm »
This is why you should always try to audition speakers with your own amplifier or at least, something very similar.

This is rarely feasible.  :roll:

Stu Pitt

« Reply #24 on: 15 Apr 2020, 06:14 pm »
Sorry. I wasn't commenting at all about his speaker quality (I haven't heard his spkrs...)
I was commenting about the match between the putative amp's power and the spkr sensitivity. Lower sensitivity, more power needed to produce a given vdB at 1 m distance.
87-dB sensitivity seems low vs. many other spkrs (like mine -- 90-dB).

cheers

Edit: oops my bad. I thought you were citing my earlier posting re. 87-dB.
cheers
I was going to quote you and tell you I was referring to the OP’s comment about sensitivity. Then I saw your edit as I was typing.

Stefan_DR3

« Reply #25 on: 20 Apr 2020, 05:41 am »
I know that Bryston doesn't do good/better/best amps, so the first 200 Watts should sound the same in both models, but the power supplies get beefier as you go up the model line too.  So if you ever decide to get planar speakers or something you'll need the current.

On the other hand, Bryston cubed series amps hold their value, so you can always upgrade later without taking a big loss.

gbaby

« Reply #26 on: 21 Apr 2020, 03:43 pm »
@Canadian Maestro @ gbaby    what sensitivity are your speakers  i know my 87 is a hair low to be high end for sure

Sorry, I am just seeing your question. My speakers are 96db @ 1 meter with a 1 watt input.
« Last Edit: 23 Apr 2020, 03:33 pm by gbaby »

Barilko

« Reply #27 on: 23 Apr 2020, 04:13 am »
I know that Bryston doesn't do good/better/best amps, so the first 200 Watts should sound the same in both models, but the power supplies get beefier as you go up the model line too.  So if you ever decide to get planar speakers or something you'll need the current.

On the other hand, Bryston cubed series amps hold their value, so you can always upgrade later without taking a big loss.

Thank You much appreciated....

terryakhan

« Reply #28 on: 19 May 2020, 12:22 am »
Minimum 4B3.
My speakers are 86db planars and to get things moving a pair of mono 7B3 for bottom end and a single 4B3 for the top end.
4B3 or higher, and you don't want to hear the sonics, totally unreal.

dirk

« Reply #29 on: 19 May 2020, 07:52 am »
If you don't need the power of the 4b3, stay with the 3b3. It has 220W at 8 ohm... measurement report...

If you need the power, go for the 14b3...
« Last Edit: 26 Jun 2020, 11:37 am by dirk »

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #30 on: 19 May 2020, 10:32 am »
Hi,
I replaced my 3bsst2 with a 3bsst3 and he worked about 2 weeks.
Now he keeps turning off(back switch), can i do something ? Nothing changed in the set up.

Hi dirk,

Please email Mike at Bryston - mpickett@bryston.com

james

papaned

« Reply #31 on: 6 Oct 2020, 10:08 pm »
I drive a pair of Revel F208's (88.5 sensitivity) with a Bryston 3bCubed in a 12'X18'X8' room and feel that my amplifier is loafing along even with loud orchestral passages. I've never seen the  diodes  on the front panel clip. Also, deep bass passages are very robust. I also suspect that the 3bCubed may be sweeter sounding than the 4bCubed.