RIP AV123

HT cOz

RIP AV123
« on: 16 Aug 2010, 07:47 pm »
Love'em or Hate'em AV123 is gone.  A note on their website says it all, they are no more.

I just want to say that this company brought me into audio with some nice products and a great crowd. 

R.I.P.

Cheers,
Robert

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
Re: RIP AV123
« Reply #1 on: 16 Aug 2010, 07:51 pm »
No one Few can argue about the value of their products.  I sincerely hope that a version re-emerges with new leadership.  That X-Statik speaker was amazing at the $799 price point. 

Big Red Machine

« Reply #2 on: 16 Aug 2010, 07:52 pm »
logo

Dear Friends:

It is with profound sadness that we are announcing the closing of AV123/Perpetual Technologies effective today.

We join in sending all of you our sincerest thanks and deepest appreciation for your support through these last 11+ years. Our history is rich with wonderful products and happy moments, all in the name of making great music affordable for all of you.

Sadly, recent events have cast a very unfavorable light on AV123 and have effectively sealed our collective fate. We hope that over time, we will be able to offer more information.

No amount of thanks on our part would ever be adequate enough in exchange for your past support.

Shortly we hope to be able to offer you more information about how to obtain MFW15 amplifiers should you require one. Please stay tuned to this page for updates. We hope to have this in place within the next few weeks.

In the meantime while we orderly wind down our business – allow us to once again thank you for your patronage and support through all of the times… both good and bad.

Respectfully yours,

The Team at AV123

Nick77

« Reply #3 on: 16 Aug 2010, 07:58 pm »
    I just want to say that this company brought me into audio with some nice products and a great crowd.                                                               

Same here  :(

wushuliu

« Reply #4 on: 16 Aug 2010, 08:02 pm »
No one can argue about the value of their products.  I sincerely hope that a version re-emerges with new leadership.  That X-Statik speaker was amazing at the $799 price point.

Mmm, actually I think there are quite a few of us who could argue about the value of their products. I'd toss my defective X-sub in the trash if it weren't so pretty. The products were definitely pretty.

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #5 on: 16 Aug 2010, 08:19 pm »
RIP the AV123 fanboys.  :wave:

Cheers,
Robin

werd

« Reply #6 on: 16 Aug 2010, 08:25 pm »
logo

Dear Friends:

It is with profound sadness that we are announcing the closing of AV123/Perpetual Technologies effective today.

We join in sending all of you our sincerest thanks and deepest appreciation for your support through these last 11+ years. Our history is rich with wonderful products and happy moments, all in the name of making great music affordable for all of you.

Sadly, recent events have cast a very unfavorable light on AV123 and have effectively sealed our collective fate. We hope that over time, we will be able to offer more information.

No amount of thanks on our part would ever be adequate enough in exchange for your past support.

Shortly we hope to be able to offer you more information about how to obtain MFW15 amplifiers should you require one. Please stay tuned to this page for updates. We hope to have this in place within the next few weeks.

In the meantime while we orderly wind down our business – allow us to once again thank you for your patronage and support through all of the times… both good and bad.

Respectfully yours,

The Team at AV123

P.S

Please keep the donations coming in our charities need you.....  :lol:

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #7 on: 16 Aug 2010, 08:41 pm »
Mmm, actually I think there are quite a few of us who could argue about the value of their products. I'd toss my defective X-sub in the trash if it weren't so pretty. The products were definitely pretty.
Sorry to hear that you had bad luck with them.  I have heard the prototype LS6, LS9, and the X-Statik and they are very well designed speakers.  However, there is the prototype, and there is production, so you may have a more valid viewpoint than I.  Having said that, a center channel that I picked up for nearly nothing has performed admirably. 

wushuliu

« Reply #8 on: 16 Aug 2010, 09:00 pm »
Sorry to hear that you had bad luck with them.  I have heard the prototype LS6, LS9, and the X-Statik and they are very well designed speakers.  However, there is the prototype, and there is production, so you may have a more valid viewpoint than I.  Having said that, a center channel that I picked up for nearly nothing has performed admirably.

Yes, I believe the emphasis here is on 'production' with a capital P. Also i believe of their products, the speaker line had fewer issues/complaints. Anything sub-related, amp-related, pre-order aka vaporware related, raffle(!)-realted - you get the picture - forgetaboutit. Anyhoos, I admit the site was a gateway drug of sorts when it came to speakers. Before I got into diy I would look at the photos (and prices) all the time and drool.

HT cOz

« Reply #9 on: 16 Aug 2010, 09:13 pm »
I admit the site was a gateway drug of sorts when it came to speakers.

:lol: That is a good one...

It was what it was and I think the sane people can just let it go.

raztec

« Reply #10 on: 25 Aug 2010, 03:49 am »
It's really a shame that the company AV123 did not at least keep it's forum alive. That was a repository of valuable information that is now forever lost.

Perhaps AV123 is the one thing he was passionate about and will revive it once he gets out of jail.

http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/home-theater-audio-video-news/26385-mark-schifter-av123-indicted.html

Noseyears

• Restricted
  • SS-Audio
    • Supreme Sound Audio
« Reply #11 on: 28 Aug 2010, 03:22 am »
I noticed that the forum was not getting enough visitors on the last months.

Here's more info about. Sad news.

http://www.audioholics.com/news/industry-news/av123-mark-schifter-indicted-grand-jury

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #12 on: 28 Aug 2010, 04:10 pm »
I noticed that the forum was not getting enough visitors on the last months.

Here's more info about. Sad news.

http://www.audioholics.com/news/industry-news/av123-mark-schifter-indicted-grand-jury

"Sadly, recent events have cast a very unfavorable light on AV123 and have effectively sealed our collective fate."  Wow, to say the least.  Is there anyone defending this guy?  Doesn't seem like there is any defense if a shred of the charges are true, but there is often another side to any story.   

SlushPuppy

« Reply #13 on: 28 Aug 2010, 04:32 pm »
"Sadly, recent events have cast a very unfavorable light on AV123 and have effectively sealed our collective fate."  Wow, to say the least.  Is there anyone defending this guy?  Doesn't seem like there is any defense if a shred of the charges are true, but there is often another side to any story.

On August 13, 2010, Mark L. Schifter plead guilty to two charges.

Theft (F3) - felony - theft of $15,000 or more
Charitable Fraud (F5) - felony

Sentencing will take place on October 8, 2010.

jackman

« Reply #14 on: 31 Aug 2010, 03:03 am »
RIP the AV123 fanboys.  :wave:

Cheers,
Robin

Hey, haven't the thought-police outlawed the use of the word fanboy?  Maybe the rule only applies to when I use the term.  :scratch:

JohnR

« Reply #15 on: 31 Aug 2010, 04:52 am »
Hey, haven't the thought-police outlawed the use of the word fanboy?  Maybe the rule only applies to when I use the term.  :scratch:

We asked that people let up on it as it was being used pejoratively to further disputes on this site. Personally, I think that was a reasonable request.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #16 on: 14 Sep 2010, 04:55 pm »
Received my Victim Impact Statement just now via email.  Voluntary to complete and submit.  Didn't know they had my info.  A little spooky. :cyclops:

Nick77

« Reply #17 on: 14 Sep 2010, 05:07 pm »
Same here.............

kingdeezie

« Reply #18 on: 14 Sep 2010, 05:26 pm »
Same here, it must be through the email list of costumers or something...

Its a shame really. I waited two years for my LSs, and it was a miserable wait full of lies and excuses.

I can't complain now though. Retro fitted with a new crossover from Response these babies are kickin some sweet tunes out.

Unfortunate this happened in such an ugly manner.

bunnyma357

« Reply #19 on: 14 Sep 2010, 05:29 pm »
I just got mine -

They have everyone's records - since I'm sure they audited all of AV123's books & documentation - as well as the Graham Co.'s paypal records.

I was a little freaked out earlier this year when out of the blue the Colorado AG left a somewhat nebulous voicemail on the machine.  The whole thing has been just a sad experience.

Jim C