what about speakers from Decware?

drphoto

what about speakers from Decware?
« on: 2 Jan 2011, 03:16 pm »
Seem good on paper. Wide range drivers w/ a ribbon tweeter using only a cap. High efficiency and fairly low prices and nice looking in pics. But no one has mentioned them.

Russell Dawkins

Re: what about speakers from Decware?
« Reply #1 on: 2 Jan 2011, 06:42 pm »
They've been mentioned recently - sound promising!
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=89781.new#new

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #2 on: 2 Jan 2011, 09:17 pm »
Which ones?  http://www.decware.com/newsite/speakers.html

I heard an ancient verion of the radial speaker several years ago.  It produced an image "cloud" that extended above the speakers.  Keep in mind that most Decware amps thrive on low impedance loads, so their speakers tend to be unusual offerings.

BTW scroll down and check out the DIY Imperial horn.   :thumb:

Wind Chaser

« Reply #3 on: 2 Jan 2011, 11:00 pm »
...their speakers tend to be unusual offerings.

In what respect?  AFAIK the Parker Audio 95 was the only speaker ever truly designed to work optimally with the Zen, which as you say thrives on low impedance.  To be fair Steve does offer that particular amp with output transformers better suited for an 8 ohm load.   And again AFAIK, the only amp that thrived on unusually low impedance was the Zen SE84.  Looking at the specs, most of his speakers are rated 8 ohms nominal.

doorman

« Reply #4 on: 2 Jan 2011, 11:33 pm »
Steve & Ziggy's speakers have a following. Like most of  Decware's products, the build is first rate, handmade stuff. Steve definitely stands behind his products.
Best, Don

srb

« Reply #5 on: 2 Jan 2011, 11:40 pm »
Anyone own the Decware Mini's (DM945)?

They look very interesting on paper - 94dB, 6KHz crossover with a single cap, nice binding post assembly and magnetic grilles for $895.

Steve

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #6 on: 2 Jan 2011, 11:57 pm »
This is what my Radials look like.
Can you identify the 5.25" drivers?

avionic

« Reply #7 on: 3 Jan 2011, 04:44 am »
M-130,s  ??

Wind Chaser

« Reply #8 on: 3 Jan 2011, 04:48 am »
XBL

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #9 on: 3 Jan 2011, 01:11 pm »
M-130,s  ??

You are correct.
They also use them in the MG944 MTM TL another great sounding speaker.  :thumb:

Lin

Wind Chaser

« Reply #10 on: 3 Jan 2011, 01:22 pm »
M-130 or M-130XBL?

chrisby

« Reply #11 on: 3 Jan 2011, 08:33 pm »
M-130 or M-130XBL?

If you're talking about Dan Wiggins patented XBL motor tech, doesn't that tend to sacrifice enough sensitivity to take them off the list of candidates for "high sensitivity" drivers? 

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #12 on: 3 Jan 2011, 09:07 pm »
M-130 or M-130X?
If you're talking about Dan Wiggins patented XBL motor tech, doesn't that tend to sacrifice enough sensitivity to take them off the list of candidates for "high sensitivity" drivers? 

89.9 vs. 87.84 according to the specs.

bushbison

« Reply #13 on: 3 Jan 2011, 10:43 pm »
opnly.. your "radial" speakers are Decware??  I don't see the same model listed... what are yours?  Very cool....

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #14 on: 4 Jan 2011, 01:36 am »
Mine are like the "retired" RL3s but are a newer version now called Turning Point Audio HR-1  :dunno: (I guess  :scratch: -  I did not know this until I read the review, I knew they were not technically a Decware speaker, they only sell the ERR radial now).

Here is some info and a mini review of their sister speaker.

http://www.dagogo.com/View-Article.asp?hArticle=828

Lin

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #15 on: 4 Jan 2011, 02:01 am »
I don't see the same model listed... what are yours?  Very cool....

They have a front midbass driver aperiodically loaded, a front ribbon, an 8" radial driver on top loaded by a passive radiator firing into the plinth on the bottom. No x-o only a cap on the tweeter.  :D
Low power amps ~ high power amps ~ it does not matter. Decware's 2w amp works fine and SAS Audio Labs' 50w amps work great.

Lin
« Last Edit: 5 Jun 2011, 07:25 pm by opnly bafld »

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #16 on: 4 Jan 2011, 02:15 am »
Seem good on paper. Wide range drivers w/ a ribbon tweeter using only a cap. High efficiency and fairly low prices and nice looking in pics. But no one has mentioned them.

Most Decware owners seem to keep to themselves or only post occasionally on the support forums over there.

Lin

chrisby

« Reply #17 on: 4 Jan 2011, 08:05 am »
89.9 vs. 87.84 according to the specs.

thanks Lin

and the lack of prolific posting or prosthelytizing* by Decware owners could well be that they're too busy enjoying their music  :D

* feel free to correct my spelling - even Google is confused on that one

bushbison

« Reply #18 on: 4 Jan 2011, 01:26 pm »
Sweet.. VERY cool... yes, Decware makes some nice looking, reasonably priced stuff...just have never seen this model before... I possibly would have been interested n a set!  Happy Listening! :thumb:

finsup

« Reply #19 on: 28 Jan 2011, 11:55 pm »
Most Decware owners seem to keep to themselves or only post occasionally on the support forums over there.

Lin

Their forum is pretty quiet.  Very quiet, actually.

There's a thread over at the Decware forum called "Fighting the Good Fight:  Recommending Decware".  The OP, who I think probably has the most experience with the widest variety of Decware equipment (I think he is their most prolific poster, anyway) writes of his frustration over the lack of interest among other audiophiles in Decware products.

I suggested that Steve Deckart consider partnering with AudioCircle.  AC is much more active (no comparison at all) and I can think of worse, less productive ways in creating interest in one's product than by hosting your own Circle.   On the other hand, for being such a boutique manufacturer, the web site really is quite good – better (ie. content, product descriptions and photographs, white papers) than almost all on AC I would venture. 

Other than the OP's agreement about their forum.  The idea was met with a yawn.  Oh well.