Wyred4Sound DAC1 (final update)

golfugh

• Dead Can Dance - Into the Labyrinth
Re: Wyred4Sound DAC1 (final update)
« Reply #20 on: 18 Nov 2010, 01:50 pm »
Bill

It was a wild ride.  Honestly, when the DAC was screechy I was thinking about what you had mentioned in your posts - there it is, Bill was right.  I considered selling it, but said nope I'll ride it out.  I don't know why, but out of nowhere it's awesome.  It sounds good with anything I throw at it, just needs some tweaking with bad recordings and good recordings/hi-res is awesome. 

Mark

bhobba

« Reply #21 on: 18 Nov 2010, 11:17 pm »
Hi Mark

To me it was never actually screechy - but the sibilance issue was there all right and it was a bit cold and analytical.  And to be fair every DAC we through at it that was cheaper it soundly bested.  I personally don't mark it down for the cold analytical thing - I used to actually like that sort thing but have discovered it is not really my thing with the much more revealing equipment I am now using.  A friend reviewed the DAC and couldn't spot the sibilance issue which mystified me a bit - but what you wrote could explain it.  Anyway the comparisons I have in mind for it will I think give a more definitive evaluation.

Thanks
Bill

morganc

« Reply #22 on: 7 Jan 2011, 03:08 am »
Hi Bill,
    Do you have any updates on your comparison between the Tranquility and the Wyred 4 Sound Dac? 
Thanks,
Morgan

bhobba

« Reply #23 on: 7 Jan 2011, 01:56 pm »
Do you have any updates on your comparison between the Tranquility and the Wyred 4 Sound Dac?

Yes - the Tranquility (both versions) is better to my ears - much more analogue, liquid and fluid. The WFS has the edge in detail but to my (and others) ears is a bit cold and has a slight sibilance control issue.

Thanks
Bill

morganc

« Reply #24 on: 7 Jan 2011, 03:40 pm »
Thanks Bill,
    I own the tranquility and that is what I think of it also, but was interested in the W4S mostly because of its dual use as a Pre-amp also (DAC -2 of course).
Cheers,
Morgan