Stratos Plus

mastercraft1990

Stratos Plus
« on: 12 Jan 2019, 04:44 am »
I'm considering a used Stratos plus amp and I've noticed that all of their amps are rated at 8 ohms, stable down to 2 ohms.  Do you just double the wattage for 4 ohms?

Brettio

Re: Stratos Plus
« Reply #1 on: 12 Jan 2019, 05:01 pm »
A quick search of this circle doesn’t give definitive 4 ohm numbers.  Give Klaus a call and he will be able to help (and in my case, educate) you about the Stratos in general and this plus model in particular.  Possibly a spoiler alert...I think you will hear Klaus tell you to focus on current and not wpc.
 Brett

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #2 on: 12 Jan 2019, 05:05 pm »
I'm considering a used Stratos plus amp and I've noticed that all of their amps are rated at 8 ohms, stable down to 2 ohms.  Do you just double the wattage for 4 ohms?
Do your speaker is a difficult load?
Low sensitivity or 4 ohms?

mastercraft1990

« Reply #3 on: 12 Jan 2019, 05:57 pm »
they are 4 ohm speakers

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #4 on: 12 Jan 2019, 06:07 pm »

mastercraft1990

« Reply #5 on: 12 Jan 2019, 08:10 pm »
98.82dB 2.83V@1m sensitivity

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #6 on: 12 Jan 2019, 08:34 pm »
So seems easy to drive by an Stratos or Cyclops.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #7 on: 12 Jan 2019, 08:36 pm »
So seems easy to drive by an Stratos or Cyclops.

Indeed.

charles

mastercraft1990

« Reply #8 on: 12 Jan 2019, 09:11 pm »
Thanks for the replys, speaker builder said they could be pushed by a 30 watt tube amp.  I just purchased a Stratos Plus to match a Candela preamp and wanted to make sure I didn't make a mistake.  The specs state that the amps are stable down to 2 ohms but are only rated at 8 ohms.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #9 on: 12 Jan 2019, 09:36 pm »
Thanks for the replys, speaker builder said they could be pushed by a 30 watt tube amp.  I just purchased a Stratos Plus to match a Candela preamp and wanted to make sure I didn't make a mistake.  The specs state that the amps are stable down to 2 ohms but are only rated at 8 ohms.
He is correct, with this 98dB speaker you will listen in the range 1 to 5W, rarely more than this.