ML Summit X Amp Recommendations

95Dyna

ML Summit X Amp Recommendations
« on: 29 Nov 2010, 07:06 pm »
Been auditioning speakers as potential replacements for my Infinity 9 Kappas and am surprised to discover that of the dozen or so I have listened to only one separates itself significantly from the Kappas enough to justify replacing them and they are the Summit X's.  I heard them with the MAC MC 501's and C2200.  My current amps are Bryston 7B SST2's fairly new.  I love the Brystons in my current setup on several levels and would prefer to keep them.  Anyone out there have any experience using Bryston with the Summit X and if not what do you recommend.

Thanks in advance,

Bill

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Re: ML Summit X Amp Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: 29 Nov 2010, 07:35 pm »
You might get better feedback at www.martinloganowners.com

95Dyna

« Reply #2 on: 29 Nov 2010, 08:42 pm »
You might get better feedback at www.martinloganowners.com

I'm not an ML owner (yet) and thought better of joining until I have a pair.  My thoughts were that ML owners would be lurking around this sight, planar users might have some general insights and last but not least this looks like a circle that's trying to get off the ground so thought I'd give it a hand by starting a relevant thread.  Thanks for the input :).

Bill

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: 29 Nov 2010, 08:47 pm »
I'm not an ML owner (yet) and thought better of joining until I have a pair.  My thoughts were that ML owners would be lurking around this sight, planar users might have some general insights and last but not least this looks like a circle that's trying to get off the ground so thought I'd give it a hand by starting a relevant thread.  Thanks for the input :).

Bill

As an ex owner of Summits I will say that IMO Mac isn't a good match.  Bryston will probably work very well though.  I used Pass Labs and Clayton when I had my Summits. 

95Dyna

« Reply #4 on: 29 Nov 2010, 09:12 pm »
As an ex owner of Summits I will say that IMO Mac isn't a good match.  Bryston will probably work very well though.  I used Pass Labs and Clayton when I had my Summits.

I was thinking the same thing about the MAC's since the Summits are a tad warm in their presentation and the 501's have a slightly warm characteristic especially with a tube preamp like the C2200.  The Bryston being dead neutral would do a better job of letting the Summit X's be what they are.  I must say the audition was quite impressive even if a little too warm for my taste.  Soundstage and imaging was spectacular.  Since the woofers are powered that would leave a ton of clean neutral power from the 7B's for the mids and highs and they brought a sparkle to that area that I had never before heard with the 9 Kappas (who says all amps sound the same :scratch:)  In the spirit of this circle I must say I am warming up (no pun intended) to the electrostatic alternative. :thumb:

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #5 on: 29 Nov 2010, 11:17 pm »

Bill

Us downtrodden biker scum types who brave the mean streets of Harrisburg have to stick together!  I'm the blue Buell bagger dodging the minivans each morning.
Owner's groups are a great resource but I'm sure you'll get your share of responses here, too.
Let me know if you get them and I'll swing by for a listen after work.

TONEPUB

« Reply #6 on: 30 Nov 2010, 01:07 am »
Personally, I've never been a fan of Bryston with anything, especially ML and I've owned about six pair on and off over the last 25 years from the CLS to the CLX.  I've also reviewed the Vantage, Summit and Summit X (bought the Summits on my way to CLX) and lived with these models extensively.

The 501's are a little on the warm side but the 1.2KW's are pretty awesome.

Other amps I've used and enjoyed with ML have been:

Conrad Johnson Premier 350
Simaudio W7 and W7 monos
Simaudio i-7 integrated
darTZeel 8550 integrated
Burmester 032 and 082 integrated
Burmester 911 mk. 3
(cant remember the model #) Luxman SS monos
Classe M300 monos
All of the Clayton amps

Haven't really found a tube amp that has the grip and control for the Current ML's. 
There are a handful of guys that like Mc tube amps, but way too soft sounding for
my taste (and I own an MC275, so it's not like I'm anti-Mac in any way)

Did have good luck with the older Aerius and CLS though.

Summit X is an awesome speaker!

My Favorites would be the Sim monos, the CJ P350 and the Burmester 911....

DTB300

« Reply #7 on: 30 Nov 2010, 04:09 pm »
Some great recommendations here so far...

Tone - no Sunfire recommendations....(LOL - inside joke...)

If  you have found a couple of speakers you really like, and the store does not have the Bryston Amps you like, then time to take a road trip with the amps to the stores with the speakers you like.

I would agree with Tone, as I have not heard a Tube Amp that really takes control of the panels - others may disagree.  I would add to Tone's list the Plinius Amps - SA-102 or SA-103.  Class A or A/B user selectable.

If you are not looking to purchase a new amp for your new speakers, then just find something which has the synergy with your current amps.

95Dyna

« Reply #8 on: 1 Dec 2010, 06:28 pm »
Personally, I've never been a fan of Bryston with anything, especially ML and I've owned about six pair on and off over the last 25 years from the CLS to the CLX.  I've also reviewed the Vantage, Summit and Summit X (bought the Summits on my way to CLX) and lived with these models extensively.

The 501's are a little on the warm side but the 1.2KW's are pretty awesome.

Other amps I've used and enjoyed with ML have been:

Conrad Johnson Premier 350
Simaudio W7 and W7 monos
Simaudio i-7 integrated
darTZeel 8550 integrated
Burmester 032 and 082 integrated
Burmester 911 mk. 3
(cant remember the model #) Luxman SS monos
Classe M300 monos
All of the Clayton amps

Haven't really found a tube amp that has the grip and control for the Current ML's. 
There are a handful of guys that like Mc tube amps, but way too soft sounding for
my taste (and I own an MC275, so it's not like I'm anti-Mac in any way)

Did have good luck with the older Aerius and CLS though.

Summit X is an awesome speaker!

My Favorites would be the Sim monos, the CJ P350 and the Burmester 911....

Thanks for the input, Tonepub.  For my edification what did you not like about the 7B SST2's when you auditioned them with the Summit X's?

TONEPUB

« Reply #9 on: 1 Dec 2010, 07:52 pm »
Dan's suggestion on the Plinius is excellent and the Class A Pass amps are great as well.

I'm just not a fan of the Bryston sound with ML especially.  Too bright, forward and flat for me.  But if you have a dealer nearby, audition them. They are a well made amplifier and you might love the way they sound. 

It's always about finding the sound you prefer.

Sunfire.  Good one!  :)

GaryArthur

« Reply #10 on: 1 Dec 2010, 08:48 pm »
Bill,

I am currently running my Martin Logan CLX's with my 8 year old 7B-SST. I have a new pair of 28's on order so as you see for this system I have stayed with Bryston. I used the 7's with the ML Prodigy's pumping into a 17' by 40' room and was always thrilled with the combo. Since you already have the 7B-SST2 and like them there is a good probability you will like them with the ML's also. If not you can make a change later. I have 3 quality audio systems world wide and my Las Vegas home is the only one with Brystons and it's the only one with ML's so it's not like I have a restricted view. If you decide to change TONEPUB'S  list is not a bad place to start listening but some of that list is not cheap.

Gary

twitch54

« Reply #11 on: 1 Dec 2010, 09:18 pm »
Well as a 'Spire' owner (no real difference driving them as opposed to the Summitts) I'll agree with Dan (DTB300) and Jeff (Tonepub) to a point........I own both SS amplification , Plinius SA-102, along with a pair of Rogue M-150 tube monoblocks. Simply put I love both setups (yes I know Tonepub is not a fan of the Rogues) and to say tube amplification dosen't 'get a grip' on the panels is pure nonesense, IMO. A lot is made of the inverse impedence and capacitive load that Logans present and while I do acknowledge this I still believe a well built tube amplifier(s), those with well spec'd and manufactured Transformers for sure, can be up to the task.

The bottom line is the present range of hybrid M/L's are fairly easy to drive all things considered so your ears and your wallet should be the determining factor !

Oh, and BTW, feel free to come over to the Martin Logan owners forum anytime, even if you haven't purchased yet. You're more than welcome to join in !!

95Dyna

« Reply #12 on: 1 Dec 2010, 10:01 pm »
Well as a 'Spire' owner (no real difference driving them as opposed to the Summitts) I'll agree with Dan (DTB300) and Jeff (Tonepub) to a point........I own both SS amplification , Plinius SA-102, along with a pair of Rogue M-150 tube monoblocks. Simply put I love both setups (yes I know Tonepub is not a fan of the Rogues) and to say tube amplification dosen't 'get a grip' on the panels is pure nonesense, IMO. A lot is made of the inverse impedence and capacitive load that Logans present and while I do acknowledge this I still believe a well built tube amplifier(s), those with well spec'd and manufactured Transformers for sure, can be up to the task.

The bottom line is the present range of hybrid M/L's are fairly easy to drive all things considered so your ears and your wallet should be the determining factor !

Oh, and BTW, feel free to come over to the Martin Logan owners forum anytime, even if you haven't purchased yet. You're more than welcome to join in !!

Thanks for the invite, twitch54.  I was thinking the same thing with the powered woofers, how hard could these things be to drive?  I know they dip below 1 ohm at a very high frequency but there's not much energy going on in that range anyway.  By contrast my 9 Kappas go down to .8 ohms with a nasty phase angle around 30 Hz and the 7B's don't break a sweat with them.

Wallacefl

« Reply #13 on: 1 Dec 2010, 11:29 pm »
I use a Bryston 14BSST with my CLSZII...could not be more pleased (unless I had the 28's). You will find the Bryston sound very straight wire and that is not to everyones liking but the Summits are a bit warmer than some of the previous generation ML's...would try to sample/audition first.

TONEPUB

« Reply #14 on: 2 Dec 2010, 12:47 am »
I wouldn't suggest any tube amp with current ML product unless you can give it a demo with your speakers. It's really a case by case thing and depends on what kind of sound you like.

I've yet to hear a tube amplifier sound amazing with the current ML's.  And I've probably heard about 30 different examples.  It's just not my cup of tea.  And I really like tube amplifiers.

Jeff_Z

« Reply #15 on: 2 Dec 2010, 01:51 am »
I have to agree with Tone, DTB and others here.  I have had tubes and SS on my Martin Logans and while my tube was no slouch and the sound was great, it just did not get a hold of my ML's.   I think what is being said is that a good tube will work but to get the most out of what ML has to offer I think a good SS amp, Like Tone and DTB suggested, are worth a listen.

A lot depends on the kind of music, your room,other electronics. I would listen to both because in the end you are the one who has to be satisfied.

Best of Luck

Jeff Z

DTB300

« Reply #16 on: 2 Dec 2010, 02:46 pm »
I have had tubes and SS on my Martin Logans and while my tube was no slouch and the sound was great, it just did not get a hold of my ML's.
And yet another person who traveled down the tube path, loved his tube amp, but in the end found SS controlled the panels better.

Now to be fair, Jeff and I are talking about full range ML speakers, and not the Hybrids which the Summit X is.  With the powered woofers, one might be able to find a tube amp which mates well with the "X" and the end users sound preference.  But even with the powered woofer, the amp has an affect on the sound coming from the woofers - which is well documented by many ML users.

In other forums here, people are talking about all sorts of amps and it is probably worth a read to help gain you more information.  If a Hybrid intrigues you (tube and SS) then check out the Moscode products.

For the OP - if you love your Bryston's, then stick with them no matter what ideas or suggestions people post.  Just sit back and enjoy the music.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #17 on: 2 Dec 2010, 02:52 pm »
I'd make it easier and just find different speakers.   :peek:

I've made it known that the ML Summits were my worst purchase in audio equipment.  The best day was selling them...

Minn Mark

« Reply #18 on: 2 Dec 2010, 03:14 pm »
I auditioned Magnaplanar 3.6r's with Bryston amps at Audio Perfection in Edina, MN. The sound convinced me to buy the Maggies, which I use now with Audio by Van Alstine Amps--sound is fabulous.

Let us know what you decide on...

Mark

95Dyna

« Reply #19 on: 4 Dec 2010, 04:47 pm »
Thanks for all the input.  It was mostly positive towards at least starting out with the 7B's with a strong probability of it being a positive combinationn.  That is how I shall proceed.  I'll report back if I decide to buy the Summit X's.