Revive the system change thread?

won ton on

Re: Revive the system change thread?
« Reply #40 on: 16 Jul 2011, 08:47 pm »
that's a lot of amps in 5 years . must be nice to have that kind of money. even if i did i wouldn't be spending it all on amps.i'd get the right amp in the first place and spend the rest on a porshe 911

fsimms

« Reply #41 on: 17 Jul 2011, 03:29 am »
That is some list!  :o

What were your favorite amps?

Bob

Art_Chicago

« Reply #42 on: 17 Jul 2011, 03:35 am »

Bob

+1

what are you using now?

Big Red Machine

« Reply #43 on: 17 Jul 2011, 11:26 am »
+1

what are you using now?

TRL Samsons - very smooth, like a Pass amp, but with more bass.  The synergy with the Dude preamp is wonderful.  I have 200 hours on the amps so far and they have begun to extend the bass (at about 100 hours) and the top end is still extending.  I did find I needed to use solid core Speaker wire as stranded was too grainy.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #44 on: 17 Jul 2011, 11:39 am »

Bob

Bob, the most trusted were the Wyreds for stability, dead quiet performance, nice spectrum with no bloat in any region.  They were not the most musical or engaging, but delivered the goods w/o any quirks.

Wyred SX1000 monos

Dodd 120 monos - the most fun and packing a whallop, responded to KT tubes nicely

BAT VK500 - powerful, authoritative, a little laid back in the top end, built like a tank

Jolida JD202A - a fun little amp that sounded superb

Tube Research Labs Samson monos - bass is deeper than all above, soundstage is frightening, I have music coming at me and up and over me in the room, has indication the top end goes on forever.  Almost as tank-like as the BAT.  Runs ridiculously cool.  Needs proper cabling and I am listening to the advice of the manufacturer here and that is paying off.  I actually am hearing things in my favorite tracks I have not heard before and that is just crazy.  I am sure the synergy with the preamp is making that happen. 

When I insert the ATI amp (done this twice now) the details are there but not the airiness or engagement.  Amps do matter folks!!

I'm keeping notes on some nice tracks of what I hear for a review.

(W)KRP

« Reply #45 on: 17 Jul 2011, 07:35 pm »
Based on your post, I googled for information on the Samson and read the AudiogoN review. Talk about goodness! Does TRL do custom colors? I'd probably like anodized black.

If I go with a Dude or other high-end preamp, I do not want to give up my remote control for volume. I do not want to get up and physically turn a volume dial, like when the volume jumps during TV commercials or between audio tracks shuffled on my computer. And how do you mute the sound?

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/frr.pl?ramps&1229800875&openfrom&1&4

Big Red Machine

« Reply #46 on: 17 Jul 2011, 07:48 pm »
Based on your post, I googled for information on the Samson and read the AudiogoN review. Talk about goodness! Does TRL do custom colors? I'd probably like anodized black.

If I go with a Dude or other high-end preamp, I do not want to give up my remote control for volume. I do not want to get up and physically turn a volume dial, like when the volume jumps during TV commercials or between audio tracks shuffled on my computer. And how do you mute the sound?

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/frr.pl?ramps&1229800875&openfrom&1&4

Silver and black are usually in stock (the panels).  Any anodized color you want at no extra charge AFAIK still.

No remote and no mute.  I have dual Shallco pots and one selector switch.  I mute by pausing the Squeezebox.  Remote volumes are a no-no with Paul.  Try the Rogue Athena preamp on Audiogon - my number 2 choice.  Awesome pre.

advanced101

« Reply #47 on: 18 Jul 2011, 12:41 am »
The Tube Research gear looks solid and all-business, glad to hear they sound good.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #48 on: 18 Jul 2011, 01:38 am »
The Tube Research gear looks solid and all-business, glad to hear they sound good.

They are getting better by the minute.  I'm in need of going high rez.  The little that I have is head and shoulders above all my other tracks.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #49 on: 18 Jul 2011, 04:23 am »
Bob, the most trusted were the Wyreds for stability, dead quiet performance, nice spectrum with no bloat in any region.  They were not the most musical or engaging, but delivered the goods w/o any quirks.

Wyred SX1000 monos

Dodd 120 monos - the most fun and packing a whallop, responded to KT tubes nicely

BAT VK500 - powerful, authoritative, a little laid back in the top end, built like a tank

Jolida JD202A - a fun little amp that sounded superb

Interesting, I remember when you compared the Dodd 120s and the Moscode 401HR and preferred the Moscode.  What changed?

Big Red Machine

« Reply #50 on: 18 Jul 2011, 11:07 am »
Don't recall that since they were years apart and on different speakers.  I would own Dodds again but probably not a Moscode.  As much as I tried, the Moscode gave a tubby bottom end.

fsimms

« Reply #51 on: 18 Jul 2011, 02:39 pm »
Don't recall that since they were years apart and on different speakers.  I would own Dodds again but probably not a Moscode.  As much as I tried, the Moscode gave a tubby bottom end.

Your positive comments about the Moscode was probably first impressions.  I had the Moscode in my system for a while and it had a wonderful midrange.  It sounded great with my CDs but didn’t have good synergy with my tubed phono preamp.  I didn’t listen to CDs much then so I didn’t keep it.   I also used a sub so bass response wasn’t an issue.

Bob

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #52 on: 20 Jul 2011, 10:56 pm »
Yep, I found the thread, and it was George (Zybar) that I was thinking of.  Never mind.

Scott

Big Red Machine

« Reply #53 on: 21 Jul 2011, 12:21 pm »
A few guys are gettnig their new TRL Dudes and here are two, one black and one red:

advanced101

« Reply #54 on: 21 Jul 2011, 06:14 pm »
Those are awfully sexy :p

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #55 on: 22 Jul 2011, 11:30 am »
BRM

Is it true that the Dude is actually a balanced design?  How many outputs does it have?  What tubes does it use?  What is the delivery time? Are you happy?

Big Red Machine

« Reply #56 on: 22 Jul 2011, 01:49 pm »
BRM

Is it true that the Dude is actually a balanced design?  How many outputs does it have?  What tubes does it use?  What is the delivery time? Are you happy?

Booboobaer over on Audiogon has a fully balanced Dude and also just received a pair of the TRL GT200 monoblocks that you should read about here:
http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/frr.pl?ramps&1310278484&&&/TRL-Inc-GT-200-Tube-amp-

I may road-trip down to Ohio and give them a listen.

Mine is single ended with some dummy balanced outputs to handle cabling choices.  It is quiet.  Also uses a circuit breaker switch and no fuses.

Typically 4 inputs and 2 sets of outputs.

6SN7's for each channel.  Three other tubes in the main driver circuit.  Hand-wired, no PCB's, caps the size of small trees, and a transformer that would shame most amplifiers.

Wait time will test your patience.  Mostly due to anodizing quality issues and the fact it is a 2 person shop doing the assembly and test.  They will build your circuit and put it into the chassis bottom long before the panels are machined and then anodized.

Workmanship is not perfect but impressive.  My top plate does not sit evenly but the same chassis is used for the Samsons and they are perfect.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #57 on: 22 Jul 2011, 01:50 pm »
Booboobaer over on Audiogon has a fully balanced Dude and also just received a pair of the TRL GT200 monoblocks that you should read about here:
http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/frr.pl?ramps&1310278484&&&/TRL-Inc-GT-200-Tube-amp-

I may road-trip down to Ohio and give them a listen.

Mine is single ended with some dummy balanced outputs to handle cabling choices.  It is quiet.  Also uses a circuit breaker switch and no fuses.

Typically 4 inputs and 2 sets of outputs.

6SN7's for each channel.  Three other tubes in the main driver circuit.  Hand-wired, no PCB's, caps the size of small trees, and a transformer that would shame most amplifiers.

Wait time will test your patience.  Mostly due to anodizing quality issues and the fact it is a 2 person shop doing the assembly and test.  They will build your circuit and put it into the chassis bottom long before the panels are machined and then anodized.

Workmanship is not perfect but impressive.  My top plate does not sit evenly but the same chassis is used for the Samsons and they are perfect.

Oh, yeah, very happy.  I'll probably concentrate on high rez and dacs next year.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #58 on: 22 Jul 2011, 01:55 pm »
I wanted to make the list of amps I have owned somewhere and thought this thread was as good as any to have it documented.  Since 2006 I have owned, in no particular order:

Monarchy SM70 monos
PS Audio GCC500 modified by Underwood
Moscode 401HR
Wyred SX1000 monos
Wyred SX500 monos
Wyred ST250
Dodd 120 monos
BAT VK500
Pass Labs X350.5
Sunfire 600
Rowland 201 monos
Belles 150A Refs as monos
TAD Hibachi monos
Dared VP-20 monos
Cherry 4800A
Cherry Plus
ATI 602
PS Audio Delta 250 monos
Hafler 9130
Hafler SE240
Hafler XL280
Electrocompaniet AW220
Jolida JD202A
AVA something?
Xindak ? 200 wpc
Tube Research Labs Samson monos

In the HT I have not kept as close track and can recall:

Emotiva MPS
Emotiva XPA something
Parasound HCA1206
Wyred SX1000's, 500's, ST250
ATI 1506
ATI1505

Checked my Audiogon records, and forgot an amp:  VTL ST85

Big Red Machine

« Reply #59 on: 22 Jul 2011, 02:27 pm »
I'm getting closer to writing a review, so want to dump in the preamps I can recall owning since 2006:

Sim Audio Celeste P3
Cary SLP98P
Sonic Euphoria
Promethius TVC
Pass Labs X1
Audio Mirror T61
Bel Canto DAC3 Pre
Modwright LS36.5
Dodd battery
Response Audio Bella
Electrocompaniet EC4.5
Lyngdorf TDAI2200