CA Audio Show Pictures

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Re: CA Audio Show Pictures
« Reply #20 on: 5 Aug 2010, 05:45 pm »
Those pics are awesome!  Thank you, cacophony777

George,

Reading that article gives me the impression the Stereophile rep was knocking the AVA electronics.  Anyone else get that vibe?

I think he was definitely knocking the choice of using a Denon cd player as the source.

George

K Shep

« Reply #21 on: 5 Aug 2010, 06:13 pm »
Reading that article gives me the impression the Stereophile rep was knocking the AVA electronics.  Anyone else get that vibe?

I am sticking my neck out here...I would like to see the top of the line tube preamp partnered with the top of the line AVA amp at RMAF.  I sat in the SALK room and IMHO believe the electronics may have been holding the speakers back.  Some of the rooms at the show sounded flat, some sounded great, IMO.

I have heard HT1-TLs, HT2-TLs, HT3's and Songtowers in systems that shined.

cacophony777

« Reply #22 on: 5 Aug 2010, 06:59 pm »
I am sticking my neck out here...I would like to see the top of the line tube preamp partnered with the top of the line AVA amp at RMAF.  I sat in the SALK room and IMHO believe the electronics may have been holding the speakers back.  Some of the rooms at the show sounded flat, some sounded great, IMO.

Could these differences be explained by room/speaker interactions, speaker positioning, source material chosen, or ... mood/expectations?  :D

jd3

« Reply #23 on: 5 Aug 2010, 07:17 pm »
George,

I guess you could infer it was just the CD player he was knocking, but to me it reads like he felt it was the electronics.

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #24 on: 5 Aug 2010, 07:46 pm »

Did you hear both the SoundScapes and the SongTowers?  If you also thought the ST sounded flat, it's hard to imagine how it could be the electronics given that they were being driven by the tube amp that got a rave in the Absolute Sound (and that's sounded great to me everytime I've heard it.)  As for the lowly Denon CD--remember--there was a separate high quality DAC in line. 

R Swerdlow

« Reply #25 on: 5 Aug 2010, 07:56 pm »
I also read that in that blog, that in-between-the-lines he may have been knocking the electronics upstream from the speakers.

However, I have a completely different take on his blog…

It wasn't the upstream electronics, and it wasn't the speakers, it may have been the hotel room or the blogger's ears, but it most likely was the four pounds of wet noodles between his ears.

cacophony777

« Reply #26 on: 5 Aug 2010, 08:01 pm »
Here's what he said about the Acoustic Zen (http://blog.stereophile.com/cas2010/elite_audio_systems_krell_acoustic_zen_and_clearaudio/):

"Things were challenged in the bass department, however. When I revisited the room on the last day of the show ... Robert had changed the jumpers on the speakers. Bass in the extremely challenging room was certainly better, but the tweeter had less sparkle."

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #27 on: 5 Aug 2010, 08:02 pm »
I also read that in that blog, that in-between-the-lines he may have been knocking the electronics upstream from the speakers.

However, I have a completely different take on his blog…

It wasn't the upstream electronics, and it wasn't the speakers, it may have been the hotel room or the blogger's ears, but it most likely was the four pounds of wet noodles between his ears.

While I don't know Jason (the person who wrote the comments), I have read many of his blogs and reviews.  He is articulate and has shown the ability to write informative and substantive articles.  My personal opinion is that he knows his stuff.  I am basing this on comparing my own thoughts and findings to his on common gear.

Jumping to attack or blame the reviewer/writer when you don't like the outcome comes across as being a "homer" or a "blind follower".

George

R Swerdlow

« Reply #28 on: 5 Aug 2010, 08:13 pm »
While I don't know Jason (the person who wrote the comments), I have read many of his blogs and reviews.  He is articulate and has shown the ability to write informative and substantive articles.  My personal opinion is that he knows his stuff.  I am basing this on comparing my own thoughts and findings to his on common gear.

Jumping to attack or blame the reviewer/writer when you don't like the outcome comes across as being a "homer" or a "blind follower".

George

I certainly respect your wish to avoid attacking or blaming the blog writer.  It wasn't my intent to heap verbal abuse on him, and perhaps my characterization of his brains might seem harsh.

But when he appears to criticize the use of a Denon CD player when an external DAC was clearly being used, it is fair game to question his thought processes in general.

And yes, I readily admit to being an unabashed Salk fanboy :green:.

Richard

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #29 on: 5 Aug 2010, 08:31 pm »

George

I don't know Boston Beans about this dude.  But I do know that he's way more into the audible implications of different jumpers and flucuations in hotel voltage levels than I am.

stew

« Reply #30 on: 5 Aug 2010, 09:35 pm »
Here's what he said about the Acoustic Zen (http://blog.stereophile.com/cas2010/elite_audio_systems_krell_acoustic_zen_and_clearaudio/):

"Things were challenged in the bass department, however. When I revisited the room on the last day of the show ... Robert had changed the jumpers on the speakers. Bass in the extremely challenging room was certainly better, but the tweeter had less sparkle."

For what it's worth, I really liked the sound of the Acoustic Zen speakers overall. But, I think Stereophile's assessment of the bass issues was right on. Others who I was trolling around with had the same observation about the bass. However, I cannot comment on the impact of the jumpers because I "critically listened" only on Sunday morning.

stew

« Reply #31 on: 5 Aug 2010, 09:45 pm »

In the same vein as KShep, I would also humbly suggest that an adjustment to the electronics front-end at RMAF could be warranted (can't wait to go! :) ) and I agree with KShep's observations about the Salk sound that day. At the CA show, I only heard the SS speakers in action, and did not have the opportunity to hear the STs, but I hope to do so at RMAF. I thoroughly enjoy my HT1-TLs (partnered with Blue Circle gear) and I think more could be had from the excellent (and, for me, beloved) Salk speakers.

ps - Jim, it was great meeting you, and hope to see you again soon

K Shep

« Reply #32 on: 5 Aug 2010, 11:14 pm »
Could these differences be explained by room/speaker interactions, speaker positioning, source material chosen, or ... mood/expectations?  :D

Yes but not likely.

K Shep

« Reply #33 on: 5 Aug 2010, 11:16 pm »
Did you hear both the SoundScapes and the SongTowers?  If you also thought the ST sounded flat, it's hard to imagine how it could be the electronics given that they were being driven by the tube amp that got a rave in the Absolute Sound (and that's sounded great to me everytime I've heard it.)  As for the lowly Denon CD--remember--there was a separate high quality DAC in line.

Yes I listened to the Songtower ribbons, they sounded wonderful connected to AVA's tube preamp.  Just as good as they did in my room when I owned them connected to my tube preamp.

I'm not trying to knock AVA.  I am just writing what I heard.

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #34 on: 5 Aug 2010, 11:19 pm »
Snip--the above post answered some of the questions I had in this post.  But I'm still  not clear what is was about the SS's that suffered in comparison with the ST's.  Dynamics?

K Shep

« Reply #35 on: 5 Aug 2010, 11:26 pm »
I don't know Boston Beans about this dude.  But I do know that he's way more into the audible implications of different jumpers and flucuations in hotel voltage levels than I am.

While I was sitting in front of the Magico V3's on Sunday at the show I heard what I thought was a radio while a classical track was playing through the system...at the end of the song the rep mentioned that through the electrical system he is experiencing PA feedback connected to that (pointing) electrical outlet.

cacophony777

« Reply #36 on: 5 Aug 2010, 11:37 pm »
While I was sitting in front of the Magico V3's on Sunday at the show I heard what I thought was a radio while a classical track was playing through the system...at the end of the song the rep mentioned that through the electrical system he is experiencing PA feedback connected to that (pointing) electrical outlet.

I enjoyed the Magico presentation, mainly because the pitch the guy gave at the start reminded me of the invention booths you see at a state fair or car show.  :thumb:   Man, those crossover components were HUGE!

kshep, what speakers most impressed you at the show?

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #37 on: 5 Aug 2010, 11:38 pm »

Interesting.   I'm not sure that's what the reviewer was referring to, but it is interesting.

K Shep

« Reply #38 on: 6 Aug 2010, 02:26 am »
kshep, what speakers most impressed you at the show?

Magico V2.  Evolution Acoustic MMMiniTwo.

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #39 on: 6 Aug 2010, 02:34 am »
Magico V2.  Evolution Acoustic MMMiniTwo.

Interesting...and different approaches on how to reproduce music.

I have spent a decent amount of time with both the V2's and the big brother to the MMMiniTwo's - the MM3's.  The V2's are a very pleasurable speaker to listen to, but are severely overpriced for what they are capable of delivering.

How was the bass on the MMMini Two's?  Was it capable of true full range?  Any challenges or issues with driver integration?

George