New SongTowers ordered. Other gear?

mathgeek97

Re: New SongTowers ordered. Other gear?
« Reply #60 on: 8 Feb 2010, 07:54 pm »
Well, I did it.  Called Frank and ordered the Insight 240 and the Vision DAC Preamp combo with remote volume.  It should get here about the same time my SongTowers are due.  Can't wait.  Thanks.

Very cool!  Please let us know what you think of the AVA stuff with your STs.  I'm currently debating between what you just bought and Vision Dac -> T8+ pre -> Insight 240. 

evan1

« Reply #61 on: 8 Feb 2010, 09:11 pm »
Great let us know when you get the stuff so we can all come over and play

Nuance

« Reply #62 on: 9 Feb 2010, 03:43 am »
Congrats on the new system.  While I think you should have listened to at least some of the stuff before you purchased, I still think you'll have a rockin' system!  Just my opinion.  :)

floresjc

« Reply #63 on: 9 Feb 2010, 03:50 am »
Nuance -

Shush! We're trying to create a fan boy here.  :wink:

In my opinion, for someone new to high end audio, almost anything will sound "good", from a Parasound kit to an Outlaw kit to AVA, Bryston or whoever (and I really wouldn't have much a problem recommending any of them). And there's nothing wrong with any of those systems. I personally recommend AVA because he has good stuff, and he's probly the cheapest of the non big box type makes. If you go a step lower than him you are probably into Parasound territory (stepping down from a $900 pre to a $600 or $700 pre), and I love mine but its a chain brand like most other stuff.

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
    • Salk Signature Sound/Audio by Van Alstine two-channel system
« Reply #64 on: 9 Feb 2010, 04:25 am »
Congratulations on the new system, Bigload. 

You won't be disappointed.

Bigload

« Reply #65 on: 9 Feb 2010, 04:47 am »
Auditioning several different equipment types would have been something I would have really enjoyed doing.  I am sure it would have been a real learning experience.  But with my work schedule and the long distance to a major city, it would have been difficult and would have taken a lot of time.  Instead, I am relying on all of the experience and auditioning you guys have done.  Plus... I like the fact that Frank uses Jim's speakers and Jim uses Frank's electronics.  All of that made a compelling proposition.  Will let you know how it all works when it gets here.  But like floresjc says, I am sure I will be blown away considering the hodge podge of common stuff I have been listening to.

Also... I had a guy wonder up to me today that I work with.  Out of no place, he said do you know anything about speakers and stereo?  I said why.  He said Oh, I was wanting to get a set of really good speakers and I heard you were getting into that.  So... I gave him the tweeter, mid range, cross over, SACD, DAC, mosfet, double die, tube rolling pitch for Salk and AVA!  It was quite funny since I was working hard just last weekend to learn as much as I could from you guys about all of this stuff.  Fortunately, he did not ask me many questions!  Despite my beginner ramblings, I did focus him on Salk and AVA as a good place to start looking.   

Nuance

« Reply #66 on: 9 Feb 2010, 03:29 pm »
Wow, finally read the whole thread...

Its official, oneinthepipe is a bigger fanboy of AVA than I am for Salk.  :D :lol: 

K Shep

« Reply #67 on: 9 Feb 2010, 03:57 pm »
If you go a step lower than him you are probably into Parasound territory (stepping down from a $900 pre to a $600 or $700 pre), and I love mine but its a chain brand like most other stuff.

floresjc,

You obviously haven't heard Parasound's Halo series preamp or amp.  If I read your post, it sounds like you are suggesting Parasound is a step lower that AVA.  That is not true, I think we need to be careful about our recommendations.  I believe I understand you to be speaking of the Parasound 2100.  If your definition of "step lower" is simply monetary, then I agree. 

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
« Reply #68 on: 9 Feb 2010, 06:39 pm »
Wow, finally read the whole thread...

Its official, oneinthepipe is a bigger fanboy of AVA than I am for Salk.  :D :lol:

Do I get a badge or trophy or something?

Nuance

« Reply #69 on: 9 Feb 2010, 07:08 pm »
Do I get a badge or trophy or something?

LOL!  I would hope so!  :)

K Shep

« Reply #70 on: 9 Feb 2010, 07:37 pm »
Ok you two.  We're all pals here. 

I have an allegiance to Parasound.  However I try not to bring that in while I am recommending gear.  We must pay attention to the budget of a member looking for advice, amongst other things.  Some of us have a connection with a mfg.  I have met the President of Parasound, sat in his office and chatted.  He let me borrow a DAC before I purchased my latest.  So I have a connection that goes beyond the love of the way my amp performs.  Not to mention all of the other Parasound gear I have auditioned.  Many of us know how AVA gear mates with Salk speakers.  Many of know how Parasound mates with speakers.  We speak to our experience, look, we are posting our findings on a public forum for all to read, which in my mind means we are passionate of what we write. 

Remember it's just a hobby.   

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
« Reply #71 on: 9 Feb 2010, 08:42 pm »
OgOgilby has a Para A-21, and the amp drives his HT2-TL with power and finesse.  I like OgOg's amp (I like his entire system), but even if I were replacing my amps with amps from another manufacturer, the A-21 would out of my price range.

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
« Reply #72 on: 9 Feb 2010, 08:48 pm »
LOL!  I would hope so!  :)

I called the trophy shop. 

Nuance

« Reply #73 on: 9 Feb 2010, 08:51 pm »
I called the trophy shop. 

Lmao!  What will the engraving say?  Do I get one for being the number 1 Salk fanboy?  :lol:

Vulcan00

• SEM Micrograph of Dendritic Structure
« Reply #74 on: 9 Feb 2010, 08:56 pm »
I use Parasound pre-amp and amp with my HT2-TLs

K Shep

« Reply #75 on: 9 Feb 2010, 09:00 pm »
I use Parasound pre-amp and amp with my HT2-TLs

Give us the meat!  Which preamp and amp?

Vulcan00

• SEM Micrograph of Dendritic Structure
« Reply #76 on: 9 Feb 2010, 09:02 pm »
Halo P7 and A 51

Nuance

« Reply #77 on: 9 Feb 2010, 09:02 pm »
Henry,

For what its worth, the Parasound A21 is less expensive than the AVA Fet Valve 550Ex.  The Halo A21 is Parasound's most expensive 2-channel amp, just as the Fet Valve 550Ex appears to be Franks most expensive amp.  Parasound is not as expensive as you think.  My goal is to own one or the other some day.  Then my system will be complete.  But like you, I don't see that happening; too expensive at full MSRP for me. 

K Shep

« Reply #78 on: 9 Feb 2010, 09:03 pm »
but even if I were replacing my amps with amps from another manufacturer, the A-21 would out of my price range.

Pipe,

All you'd have to do is sell some of your monitors (speakers) to make up the difference.  Your "other gear" list is impressive.

Nuance

« Reply #79 on: 9 Feb 2010, 09:04 pm »
Halo P7 and A 51

:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:  The Parasound's definitely win the sexiness award.  You've got a great system, Vulcan.  I am jealous!  :)