Coasters for STs

brett11

Coasters for STs
« on: 21 Mar 2008, 01:56 pm »
Hey everyone -
   Bayareakirk recently sent me a question about the coasters that I'm using under my ST spikes.  I decided to post the link in case anyone else was interested.  They match nicely with Jim's spikes and are designed with good sound in mind.   

http://www.soundanchors.com/page20.html

Cone Coasters    :) :D

noshortcuts

Re: Coasters for STs
« Reply #1 on: 21 Mar 2008, 05:10 pm »
Thank You !

jsalk

« Reply #2 on: 22 Mar 2008, 03:20 am »
Those are quite nice.  I think people with wood floors will find them handy.  Thanks for posting the link!

- Jim

shortspark

« Reply #3 on: 22 Mar 2008, 10:04 pm »
Jim, do you recommend that your spikes to be attached even if sitting on carpet?  In such a case would they really be considered decorative rather than functional?

Big Red Machine

« Reply #4 on: 22 Mar 2008, 10:07 pm »
Needed moreso with carpet so the speaker anchors to the plywood subflooring.  The coins only protect the hardwood floors from scratches.

Sorbothane under the speaker in lieu of the spikes also works fine on hardwood.

BPuckett

« Reply #5 on: 24 Mar 2008, 08:35 pm »
To shortspark:

After much experimenting with room placement and installing/uninstalling the spikes, I have found that my HT3's sound best in my room without the spikes.  They sit on my wall-to-wall carpet, which covers the concrete foundation of my house.  I think part of the reason for the better sound without the spikes is that the midrange and tweeter drivers are better aligned vertically with my ears when I am sitting at my listening position.  Bear in mind that the improvement in sound without the spikes is quite subtle, but audible nonetheless.  Granted, I am foregoing the cool look of the spikes.  But, it's worth the trade off to get the improved sound.

Regards,
Bob

shortspark

« Reply #6 on: 25 Mar 2008, 03:25 am »
Thanks Bob, I guess I'll try it both ways and see for myself.

martyo

« Reply #7 on: 25 Mar 2008, 08:39 am »
To shortspark:

After much experimenting with room placement and installing/uninstalling the spikes, I have found that my HT3's sound best in my room without the spikes.  They sit on my wall-to-wall carpet, which covers the concrete foundation of my house.  I think part of the reason for the better sound without the spikes is that the midrange and tweeter drivers are better aligned vertically with my ears when I am sitting at my listening position.  Bear in mind that the improvement in sound without the spikes is quite subtle, but audible nonetheless.  Granted, I am foregoing the cool look of the spikes.  But, it's worth the trade off to get the improved sound.

Regards,
Bob

Important to be aligned with the tweeter. At 120lbs your HT3's are coupled to the room with or without the spikes.

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #8 on: 25 Mar 2008, 01:46 pm »
Right--the design axis for the HT3 is the tweeter at normal listening distances.  Close up, it would be a little lower. 

martyo

« Reply #9 on: 25 Mar 2008, 02:20 pm »
Dennis, when you designed the HT3's is there a theoritical distance from the speakers where the alignment, or the "meshing" of the different drivers is correct? I don't know the correct terms, but the distance where the individual drivers are as "one"? I ask because as I play with the placement of my HT3's, I always eventually end up 13-1/2 to 14-1/2 feet away with the speakers 8-1/2 to 9ft apart.

thanks