Denon DCM-370 and Behringer 2496

Sintz

« on: 18 Nov 2005, 02:28 am »
Hello all!

I have a quick question that hopefully one of you knowledgable folks can help  me out with:

I'm currently using a Denon DCM-370's unbalanced/RCA outputs into a Parasound Halo P3 preamp, then unbalanced/RCA to my AKSA100 amplifier.

I've been experimenting with room equalization using an Alesis MEQ230 1/3 octave analog eq and have been able to significantly improve overall sound in my irregularly shaped listening room, but am left with some unwanted noise with the Alesis in the chain.  :(

I've been looking at the possibility of using a Behringer DEQ2496, but wanted to make sure I can use a digital connection using the Coxial Digital output of the Denon DCM-370. Does anyone know if I can connect the Digital Coax from the Denon DCM-370 to the Behringer DEQ2496 using a digital coax RCA cable? If so, great. If not, what are my options?

:stupid:

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks so much in advance!

jhenderson010759

• http://www.innovative-dsp.com
Didn't work for me....
« Reply #1 on: 18 Nov 2005, 01:06 pm »
I purchased an RCA to XLR conversion cable from CablesToGo which I thought should permit a similar connection from my digital mixer to the DEQ2496.  Didn't work, even with the DEQ configured for SP/DIF on its digital input.  So, I purchased a Audio Authority 1177 converter from Digital Connections and it works fine now.  The 1177 will allow you to route the coax out from your CD to the optical in on the DCX.

spons

warnerwh

« Reply #3 on: 18 Nov 2005, 11:08 pm »
You'll like that Behringer, they've got to be the best bang for the buck in audio. Good Luck.

miklorsmith

« Reply #4 on: 18 Nov 2005, 11:15 pm »
If the connectivity wasn't such a pain in the a$$, I'd order one today.

Sintz

« Reply #5 on: 19 Nov 2005, 02:28 am »

Sintz

What about just using analog inputs then?
« Reply #6 on: 19 Nov 2005, 02:44 am »
:?: Can I just use the unbalanced analog RCA out of the Denon CDPlayer and connect it to the Analog XLR input of the Behringer? :?:

Would the digital connection from the CDP really be worth the extra expense?

Will an off-the-shelf RCA-to-XLR cable work correctly?

If so, (from a sonic perspective) is it worth spending the $60-120 for a digial coax to digital XLR (AES/EBU) converter when compared to just using the analog input?

Seriously, by the time I get a digital coax cable connected to a converter (like the CDL-313 or Audio Authority 1177), then another cable from the converter to the Behringer.... (yes, that's 4 physical connections with a "black box" converter)..... I'm wondering if using the analog inputs is the better way to go....

I don't mind springing for the black box and an extra cable, but is it worth the extra expense if not required?
Little cold feet before I spring for this equipment and cables, can you tell?
Thanks so much!

warnerwh

« Reply #7 on: 19 Nov 2005, 02:56 am »
I'd just run the digital out from the cd player to the digital in of the DEQ 2496. It's very simple. If you run the analog outs then you have another analog to digital conversion in the chain which you don't want if you can avoid it.  A Hosa brand cable costs hardly anything for an XLR to RCA in most any pro music shop.  Then you'll need two more XLR to rca's to plug into your preamp etc. if it's not balanced.  There's nothing to it.  Also the benefit of having this piece in your system is definitely worth doing even if you have a dedicated and fully treated listening room like I do.  I think they're a killer bargain for the improvement you get.  The dac isn't bad in it at all either.

Sintz

Thanks warnerwh! Can anyone else confirm?
« Reply #8 on: 19 Nov 2005, 03:27 am »
warnerwh:

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Ok, then if you're sure it'll work, then I'll plan on using an RCA-to-XLR cable from the digital out of the CDP to the Digital input on the Behringer. Perfect.

I wanted to find out for sure because I read somewhere in this forum (can't remember which thread) that this didn't work for someone else.

Beauty of it is that my preamp has XLR ins/outs, so I'll be balanced until I go out to the ASKA100 amp.