Audio quality of Amazon Unlimited vs Quboz

Huck

Audio quality of Amazon Unlimited vs Quboz
« on: 28 Apr 2023, 10:35 am »
 I just went with the free trial of Quboz the other day and I was wondering what your thoughts were regarding the sound quality between the two(AMZ vs Quboz),if you have both services and for me I find (hear) very little difference,if any between the two. I am using the USB out on my NODE to my Denafrips ARES II Enyo,so could be my mid-fi rig is not resolving enough??,plus the music genre I listen to are probably not recorded very well anyway to start off with. Thanks,Huck
« Last Edit: 29 Apr 2023, 08:41 pm by Huck »

zoom25

Re: Audio quality of Amazon Unlimited vs Quboz
« Reply #1 on: 28 Apr 2023, 01:16 pm »
Looking to make this comparison this summer before my annual Amazon Unlimited membership renews.

I clearly preferred Amazon lossless over Tidal’s MQA. It might be interesting to go back and try out Tidal once they fully switch to lossless and ditch MQA.

I use iPhones/iPad which have automatic sample rate switching with Amazon. However, there is no automatic sample rate switching on both MacOS and Windows with Amazon Music. Does Qobuz’s native app support automatic sample rate switching?

Huck

« Reply #2 on: 28 Apr 2023, 01:31 pm »
Looking to make this comparison this summer before my annual Amazon Unlimited membership renews.

I clearly preferred Amazon lossless over Tidal’s MQA. It might be interesting to go back and try out Tidal once they fully switch to lossless and ditch MQA.

I use iPhones/iPad which have automatic sample rate switching with Amazon. However, there is no automatic sample rate switching on both MacOS and Windows with Amazon Music. Does Qobuz’s native app support automatic sample rate switching?
Sorry,can't help you on that.Huck

Huck

« Reply #3 on: 29 Apr 2023, 08:14 pm »
 OP here..two days in with Qobuz and I packed it in,could not really tell any difference,at least in my system and the kind of music I listen to.
Bluos app not the greatest,but I was getting used to it....oh well,I tried. Huck

VinceT

« Reply #4 on: 30 Apr 2023, 03:10 am »
I prefer Qobuz of the two

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #5 on: 30 Apr 2023, 08:14 am »
I picked Quboz over Amazon a long time ago and don't remember why.  There was something about Amazon hi rez that put me off, price, selection, interface, something didn't sit right with me.  Anyway, I'm happy with where I am.

oskar

« Reply #6 on: 1 May 2023, 01:10 pm »
To be clear: Amazon Unlimited is the same as Amazon Music that comes with Prime, correct?

rklein

• My finest audio piece ever!!
« Reply #8 on: 1 May 2023, 01:26 pm »
To be clear: Amazon Unlimited is the same as Amazon Music that comes with Prime, correct?
Nope.  Amazon Unlimited to the best of my knowledge costs an additional $7.99/month.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=GW3PHAUCZM8L7W9L

GeorgeAb

« Reply #9 on: 1 May 2023, 09:48 pm »
If artist compensation is important to you. Qobuz is one of the best services and Amazon pays the least. https://www.loudersound.com/features/which-music-streaming-service-pays-artists-the-most

Not sure how Amazon does on availability of remasters. Qobuz does a great job in that aspect. One example of a quality resmaster is Steven Wilson's Jethro Tull Thick as a Brick remaster (listening to now which why I thought of it) which is sensational.

Cost is competitve as Amazon is $96/year (on top of $140 for Prime which we likely have anyway) compared to Qobuz $130/year.

Pardon OP for not addressing Amazon SQ compared to Qobuz, but I do not use Amazon. 

mitch stl

« Reply #10 on: 2 May 2023, 02:17 am »
I'd just comment that Amazon doesn't openly share their access protocol. There are a number of quality streamers that won't be able to access an Amazon subscription. That's not an issue with Qobuz.  (I have a Qobuz subscription and am very happy with it.)

Huck

« Reply #11 on: 2 May 2023, 02:20 pm »
If artist compensation is important to you. Qobuz is one of the best services and Amazon pays the least. https://www.loudersound.com/features/which-music-streaming-service-pays-artists-the-most

Not sure how Amazon does on availability of remasters. Qobuz does a great job in that aspect. One example of a quality resmaster is Steven Wilson's Jethro Tull Thick as a Brick remaster (listening to now which why I thought of it) which is sensational.

Cost is competitve as Amazon is $96/year (on top of $140 for Prime which we likely have anyway) compared to Qobuz $130/year.

Pardon OP for not addressing Amazon SQ compared to Qobuz, but I do not use Amazon.

Too bad you didn't have both services,as Amazon has that same Jethro Tull:"Thick as a Brick" in Ultra HD so you could compare the two.
I will listen tonight.Thanks,Huck

OldNick

« Reply #12 on: 2 May 2023, 04:35 pm »
I had both.  I found Amazon had an slightly edgier sound compared to Qobuz.  It made me wonder whether some "hi-res" tracks on Amazon were just upsampled. The amazon UI was not great in my view either.  Qobuz costs a bit more but I've cancelled Amazon unlimited.

viggen

« Reply #13 on: 2 May 2023, 05:49 pm »
I don't like any streaming service.  They all sound just OK to me.  Qobuz is marginally better than Amazon to me.  Qobuz, Tidal and Apple all sound different slightly (spotify no good) but I don't have preference for any of them.  In terms of sound I like listening to, I prefer Youtube, Radio Paradise and Radio France.  Maybe I prefer some compression.  They sound more live to me.  YT has way better recommendation than the other streaming services.  I created a YT account strictly for music streaming and the recommendations are very good.

rklein

• My finest audio piece ever!!
« Reply #14 on: 2 May 2023, 07:39 pm »
I had both.  I found Amazon had an slightly edgier sound compared to Qobuz.  It made me wonder whether some "hi-res" tracks on Amazon were just upsampled. The amazon UI was not great in my view either.  Qobuz costs a bit more but I've cancelled Amazon unlimited.

+1

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #16 on: 2 May 2023, 08:39 pm »
I don't like any streaming service.  They all sound just OK to me.  Qobuz is marginally better than Amazon to me.  Qobuz, Tidal and Apple all sound different slightly (spotify no good) but I don't have preference for any of them.  In terms of sound I like listening to, I prefer Youtube, Radio Paradise and Radio France.  Maybe I prefer some compression.  They sound more live to me.  YT has way better recommendation than the other streaming services.  I created a YT account strictly for music streaming and the recommendations are very good.

Still prefer the transport/DAC over any streaming format except Blue Coast DSD downloads. Good to know the other services, thanks

charles

kmmd

• 5 mos.= My VAC is back - now silver w/phono
    • Systems
« Reply #17 on: 2 May 2023, 08:54 pm »
Thanks for the info in this thread. I’ve had Qobuz for quite some time and satisfied with it.  The interface and ease of use through my Aurender N20 and modded Auralic Aries G2.1 are pluses.

Huck

Re: Audio quality of Amazon Unlimited vs Qobuz
« Reply #18 on: 2 May 2023, 09:15 pm »
I really think it all boils down that anything pertaining to audio,in regards to what sounds best to you,it has to be listened with your equipment,in your room,etc.Huck
« Last Edit: 3 May 2023, 10:51 am by Huck »