What Fresh Hell Is This?

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
What Fresh Hell Is This?
« on: 21 Aug 2011, 03:47 am »

Yet another sign of the coming Apocalypse...

Loutallica - scheduled release date November 1

D.D.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
Re: What Fresh Hell Is This?
« Reply #1 on: 21 Aug 2011, 03:57 am »
Take a walk on the wild side... :lol:

http://www.loureed.com/news/loutallica/

kingdeezie

« Reply #2 on: 21 Aug 2011, 03:59 am »
I'll keep an open mind on this one. My initial reaction of Metallica and a full orchestra was one of heavy skepticism, but S&M was pretty decent.

Matty_J

• Aperion Audio
    • Aperion Audio
« Reply #3 on: 23 Aug 2011, 11:48 pm »
Yeah I like S+M by Metallica, but initially didn't think it could work.  I can't imagine why Metallica would invest in something that wouldn't work like this project...we'll see..

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #4 on: 24 Aug 2011, 12:25 am »
Somebody send it to me, I'll let you know what I think.  :thumb:

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #5 on: 24 Aug 2011, 12:27 pm »

Mike Nomad

« Reply #6 on: 24 Aug 2011, 01:25 pm »
This could be really cool... Another evolutionary step for Lou, and a much needed change for Metallica.

Metallica has never sounded/played better than the current line-up, but the writing has been absolute shite for years. Hopefully, a dose of Lou will provide the necessary fix repair.

neekomax

« Reply #7 on: 24 Aug 2011, 02:40 pm »
Metallica with Lou Reed:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuYcbEYbN_A&feature=player_embedded

Wait, you mean that Lou and the Metallica doods were like, 'man, we need to make more of THIS magic' after performing that horrible mess?

Oh.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #8 on: 24 Aug 2011, 03:46 pm »
 :lol:

SlushPuppy

Mike Nomad

« Reply #10 on: 24 Aug 2011, 06:43 pm »
That's almost unlistenable.

I guess you haven't listened to Lou's Metal Machine Music. There is an instance where vinyl heads win.

neekomax

« Reply #11 on: 24 Aug 2011, 06:50 pm »
I guess you haven't listened to Lou's Metal Machine Music. There is an instance where vinyl heads win.

Nope, haven't heard it. Hope it's better than that youtube clip.

Metallica, IMO, were at their best during the Master of Puppets / ...And Justice For All era. They were a tight machine, just technical enough to be interesting, but with the soul of a great band, and they were writing about really good topics in a way that flowed naturally. There's nothing about them at their best that brings to mind or calls for what Lou Reed does. It's just a weird concept to me.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #12 on: 25 Aug 2011, 01:05 am »
I like Metallica, and had a couple "fond thoughts" of Lou Reed from a few decades ago.
So the idea was pretty cool for me.

Then I heard the YouTube clip. It was fantastic......until Lou opened his pie hole.   :o

Oh...my...gawd.  :duh:

Bob

Diamond Dog

« Reply #13 on: 25 Aug 2011, 01:26 am »
Metal Machine Music is something which needs to be experienced just so that when someone starts raving about how "out there" a band's latest work is, you have some frame of reference. It's like sticking your head into a printing press. For an hour or so. Mr. Reed as artiste/ agent provocateur as opposed to Mr. Reed as street poet or gritty raconteur or chronicler of a side of life us normies never experience first-hand like the Warhol Factory. Or yet another Lou Reed who could write simple touching songs about simple everyday things we all experience- the joys of having a happy home to go to, the anger we feel when confronted by injustice and hypocracy or the death of someone you are close to. It's the times where he goes into artiste mode where the sledding gets tough - Metal Machine Music or The Raven. This new project sounds like all this and the proverbial bag o'chips...songs from a musical he wrote and performed in Europe. But backed by Metallica...what could go wrong ?

Perhaps Homer Simpson said it best : "Nuts and gum - together at last!"

D.D.

Mitsuman

• Diamond Tone Junkie
« Reply #14 on: 25 Aug 2011, 01:44 am »
I wanna know how James Hetfield isn't going to just go off and kick Lou Reed's ass.  :lol:

SlushPuppy

« Reply #15 on: 25 Aug 2011, 02:11 am »
Metal Machine Music is something which needs to be experienced just so that when someone starts raving about how "out there" a band's latest work is, you have some frame of reference.

I'd rather climb a mountain made of broken beer bottles than listen to those Amazon samples again - and I love weird music. The only albums I've owned that were 'almost' as bad were "The Whitey Album" by Ciccone Youth (Sonic Youth's experimental side-project) and Pat Metheny's "Zero Tolerance for Silence" - both of which can be traced back to Thurston Moore of Sonic Youth - who I greatly admire. Both were tossed in the trash to prevent some unlucky individual from picking them up in a used CD bin thinking they found some kind of long forgotten musical gem. This Metallica/Lou Reed project - I'd rather eat my own stool than listen to this garbage. Just sayin'

SlushPuppy

« Reply #16 on: 25 Aug 2011, 02:18 am »

Looks like the cover of "Weekend at Bernie's" to me.

neekomax

« Reply #17 on: 25 Aug 2011, 02:29 am »
I'd rather climb a mountain made of broken beer bottles than listen to those Amazon samples again - and I love weird music. The only albums I've owned that were 'almost' as bad were "The Whitey Album" by Ciccone Youth (Sonic Youth's experimental side-project) and Pat Metheny's "Zero Tolerance for Silence" - both of which can be traced back to Thurston Moore of Sonic Youth - who I greatly admire. Both were tossed in the trash to prevent some unlucky individual from picking them up in a used CD bin thinking they found some kind of long forgotten musical gem. This Metallica/Lou Reed project - I'd rather eat my own stool than listen to this garbage. Just sayin'

So wait, could you be clear on whether or not you liked it?

SlushPuppy

« Reply #18 on: 25 Aug 2011, 02:42 am »
So wait, could you be clear on whether or not you liked it?

Ummmm, I don't think so. I gave myself a migraine writing my previous comment. Or maybe it was those music samples  :scratch:

Diamond Dog

« Reply #19 on: 25 Aug 2011, 03:30 am »

Looks like the cover of "Weekend at Bernie's" to me.

Except it's less clear as to who is propping up who...Hell, let's call it a draw and go get a drink.

D.D.