Auto on/off power saver feature? Solar (PV) charge?

Christopher Witmer

Auto on/off power saver feature? Solar (PV) charge?
« on: 16 Mar 2005, 04:09 pm »
Sorry, I might have overlooked this if it is clearly written somewhere . . . do the Clari-T amps have the ability to save battery life by turning off automatically when a music signal ceases to come in?

Also, would there be anything to keep in mind in order to use a solar (photovoltaic) charger for the batteries?

Thanks!

Christopher Witmer
Tokyo

Christopher Witmer

And how about NiMH batteries?
« Reply #1 on: 16 Mar 2005, 11:57 pm »
Any thoughts on using NiMH batteries as opposed to SLA? (The three salient features of NiMH are: they keep very constant voltage until the very end, when their output falls off precipitously; they recharge quickly; and they can be recharged many times.) It occurs to me that one could have a two battery packs and recharge one while the battery-powered equipment is being used with the other.

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
Re: And how about NiMH batteries?
« Reply #2 on: 17 Mar 2005, 01:31 pm »
Quote from: Christopher Witmer
Any thoughts on using NiMH batteries as opposed to SLA? (The three salient features of NiMH are: they keep very constant voltage until the very end, when their output falls off precipitously; they recharge quickly; and they can be recharged many times.) It occurs to me that one could have a two battery packs and recharge one while the battery-powered equipment is being used with the other.

Hi Chris,

I much prefer 12V SLAs because of their very low internal resistance and higher current output capability (these are like mini car batteries  :wink: ).

Regards,

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
Re: Auto on/off power saver feature? Solar (PV) charge?
« Reply #3 on: 17 Mar 2005, 01:35 pm »
Quote from: Christopher Witmer
Sorry, I might have overlooked this if it is clearly written somewhere . . . do the Clari-T amps have the ability to save battery life by turning off automatically when a music signal ceases to come in?

Also, would there be anything to keep in mind in order to use a solar (photovoltaic) charger for the batteries?

Thanks!

Christopher Witmer
Tokyo

Hi Chris,

The user is responsible for turning off the switch when they are finished listening.  There is no circuitry that senses idle time and turns off the unit.

If you want to use a solar charger, you must make sure that it does not output more than 500mA, and that it senses that the battery is fully charged (goes into trickle/maintain charge mode so the battery does not become overcharged).  This charger should be specificied to work with SLA batteries.

Regards,