My Harman (JBL M2) Trip

TomS

Re: My Harman (JBL M2) Trip
« Reply #420 on: 21 Jul 2018, 02:41 pm »
Where do your subs fit in?

Once I receive your babies, my system could be a simple as: MacBook > DSPeaker Anti-Mode 2.0 Dual Core > JBL 708P & searing the sub(s)
He's not using subs with the M2's now.

You made a great buy in the 708p's. Having owned M2's myself, hearing the 708p's at Rich's GTG was a treat. Amazing value in active speakers and oh so close to the bigger M2's. Enjoy!

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #421 on: 21 Jul 2018, 07:53 pm »

You made a great buy in the 708p's. Having owned M2's myself, hearing the 708p's at Rich's GTG was a treat. Amazing value in active speakers and oh so close to the bigger M2's. Enjoy!

Thanks TomS.  Gawd the 708Ps are cute (tiny) compared to the M2s, but prefer monitors that I can height (ear level) adjust and bass adjust with sub(s).  Will try them out by themselves, then hook up my CSS XBL^2 sealed sub (8ft x 13ft x 21ft room, near/mid-field setup) with DSPeaker (which I preferred over Schiit Freya, NOS tubes, and Gungnir MB).  Based on all accounts tempted to venture into 4 matching subs.  But got some speakers to sell off first before my room turns into a warehouse.   :oops:

Wow that was a lot of cost, effort, and waiting to walk away from those huge subs.
« Last Edit: 23 Jul 2018, 10:14 am by JLM »

OzarkTom

« Reply #422 on: 22 Jul 2018, 12:53 am »
Has anyone here heard the JBL 306 MkII or the 308p's? Somewhat close to the 708P's? Difference?

JLM

« Reply #423 on: 23 Jul 2018, 10:21 am »
Has anyone here heard the JBL 306 MkII or the 308p's? Somewhat close to the 708P's? Difference?

Don't think 708P owners want to know if their close.   :oops:

I had the original 305s here for a week a couple of years ago, tremendous value but didn't spark much of a yearning.  At 16+ to 1 ratio price difference I'll be surprised if there's more than a vague family resemblance.  But I'll keep those 305s in mind when listening to the 708Ps.

goskers

« Reply #424 on: 23 Jul 2018, 01:56 pm »
If you look back to the first part of this thread there was reference to a great deal of similarity between this family of speakers. While at Harman the room we were using had 3 series, 7 series and M2 all setup. There was a switching device that allowed instanteous change between each speaker being played. The similar quality between all three series was remarkable. Yes, there were differences between the three but it wasnt as much as one would think. The requirements of the situation should drive ones purchase. If lower budget without the need for excessive output is needed then stick with the 3 series. Size, simplicity and greater output then get the7 series. All out assault without any limitations then get the M2.

OzarkTom

« Reply #425 on: 23 Jul 2018, 04:28 pm »
If you look back to the first part of this thread there was reference to a great deal of similarity between this family of speakers. While at Harman the room we were using had 3 series, 7 series and M2 all setup. There was a switching device that allowed instanteous change between each speaker being played. The similar quality between all three series was remarkable. Yes, there were differences between the three but it wasnt as much as one would think. The requirements of the situation should drive ones purchase. If lower budget without the need for excessive output is needed then stick with the 3 series. Size, simplicity and greater output then get the7 series. All out assault without any limitations then get the M2.

Sounds like the 306 MkII would work fine for me since I don't crank my system very loud. It would also save some bucks. :thumb:

Thanks for the update.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #426 on: 23 Jul 2018, 11:53 pm »

That's kinda correct!

The only thing I'll add to this is that while the three speakers are scarily similar in the family, physics is the limiting factor and that's important to remember.  The fact that these are all so close in terms of tone shouldn't be a surprise since the compression driver and waveguide is the same as it's just scaled down.  This is typically very rare in typical speakers.  And the waveguide is a real waveguide not some beveled piece of MDF around a driver like many claim to be a waveguide.  These speakers have real engineering! 

JLM

« Reply #427 on: 28 Jul 2018, 10:02 am »
Having listened to the 305s (originals) for a week and now the 708Ps for 3 days here in my acoustic study will say the 708Ps are much more dynamic, more detailed, image better, and are more ruthless to poor recordings.  Which makes the 708Ps very serious working monitors, not speakers to be ignored or passed over for casually entertaining.  Just the size alone tells you that they mean business, the overall sonic presentation is not for light weight sissies.  The large waveguide, permanently mounted woofer grill, and matte black finish with built-in side handles gives warning to all that up front.  These project sound into a large space like not nothing I've heard before at home.  They deserve the very best ancillaries and demand your attention.

The 305 fits into typical audiophile sensibilities much easier (except for the amount of bass coming from such a small box).  Less affronting of dynamic swings, they lack surgical accuracy, with only 'mortal' sound staging, and of course their 'acceptable' size/cost make them easier to dismiss, but do represent a supreme value in a mid-fi setup on desktop or smaller room. 

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #428 on: 2 Aug 2018, 06:53 pm »
Excellent. Tell us more.  :thumb:

Rocket Ronny

TomS

« Reply #429 on: 2 Aug 2018, 07:01 pm »
Perhaps a new thread for 708P review thoughts, since this one is about M2's and a trip to hear them.

JLM

« Reply #430 on: 2 Aug 2018, 08:02 pm »
Agreed Tom but have patience, I promise to issue a review of my experience with the 708P speakers.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #431 on: 3 Aug 2018, 12:10 am »
I look forward to your review for sure!

I'm hosting a GTG this weekend with the M2's.  Most have heard them though.  Maybe some of the attendees will share their opinion. 

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #432 on: 2 Nov 2018, 03:22 pm »
So has anybody from this thread held on to their M2’s? Seems quite a few have already moved on in the last year or so of having them.

goskers

« Reply #433 on: 2 Nov 2018, 03:40 pm »
I have.

A better question may be why those who have sold did so?

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #434 on: 2 Nov 2018, 03:44 pm »
I have.

A better question may be why those who have sold did so?

I thought about asking in that way but I know some don’t like to explain why, especially when trying to sell them.

I thought I had seen you sell your M2’s, so you still have them?

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #435 on: 2 Nov 2018, 04:38 pm »
I have mine.

bernardo

« Reply #436 on: 2 Nov 2018, 04:39 pm »
Until you sell them, right?

bernardo

« Reply #437 on: 2 Nov 2018, 04:42 pm »
Sorry Jason - I see that you have removed them from the Trading Post.

goskers

« Reply #438 on: 2 Nov 2018, 07:58 pm »
I thought about asking in that way but I know some don’t like to explain why, especially when trying to sell them.

I thought I had seen you sell your M2’s, so you still have them?

Yes, I had them listed for a bit. I took part in my own in house trial with the Salon2 and M2. This was after I had taken part in the more controlled trial posted on AVS. I couldn’t keep all so I was trying to sell my M2 prior to the Salon arrival. The Salon was what I preferred during the blind test. When I ended up owning both for quite a while I ended up setting each side by side and having extended play with both. My preference during this time was for the M2.  Both are fantastic speakers. 

thereisnospoon

« Reply #439 on: 28 Nov 2018, 01:50 am »
This is interesting. So you were at John's comparo? Do you have any thoughts as to why you think you preferred the Salon at John's, but not at home. Room factors? Listening distance? Directivity differences? Longer time to evaluate?

I've owned my M2's for over 4 years and I've done comparos of the M2's with other speakers in my room and also hauled them around to other rooms for comparos as well. The M2's will brutally expose flaws in lesser speakers, but I never had the chance to compare them against a similar caliber speaker.