Pioneer Elite DV59-AVI

StevenACNJ

Pioneer Elite DV59-AVI
« Reply #40 on: 26 Jul 2004, 10:19 am »
For those of you interested in low jitter clock discussions, there is a current interesting thread over at DIY Audio - http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=71439c3831dba7ed471a69260db9d49c&threadid=38378&perpage=10&pagenumber=1

Also Dan is going to do the following additional work to my player:

1. Install .1uf teflon V-Cap for digital out coupling
2. LC Audio clock power supply - install 4 high speed soft recovery diodes & 2 Black Gate caps.

StevenACNJ

Pioneer Elite DV59-AVI
« Reply #41 on: 30 Jul 2004, 10:44 am »
Ok I heard good news from Dan "The Creator" as I like to think of him.

Problem fixed!  :D

Will do a couple more small mods, as listed in previous post, to the player and then send it back!  :mrgreen:

Welly Wu

Pioneer Elite DV59-AVI
« Reply #42 on: 31 Jul 2004, 05:26 am »
StevenACNJ:

You're never quite finished with your Frankenstein mods, right?  :lol:

Oh well, to each his own!  :D

StevenACNJ

Pioneer Elite DV59-AVI
« Reply #43 on: 31 Jul 2004, 12:15 pm »
Quote from: Welly Wu
StevenACNJ:

You're never quite finished with your Frankenstein mods, right?  :lol:

Oh well, to each his own!  :D

As for the DV-59AVI, thats it. I think it is pretty much all modded out. I am anxious now to get it back and start using it.

Nick V

Pioneer Elite DV59-AVI
« Reply #44 on: 2 Aug 2004, 02:46 am »
I was kinda wondering what Dan thought of the 59AVi? You've had the chance to take a look at it now and mod one, how do you think it stacks up to the 2900 and 5900 (audio wise)? Do you think it has potential to be as good as the 5900 and 999ES, are you conisdering a  universal truth mod for this player? Would it have an internal or external power supply upgrade?

I'm just very curious as I have yet to make my decision between the 2900 and 59avi.

Thanks,

Nick

Welly Wu

Pioneer Elite DV59-AVI
« Reply #45 on: 2 Aug 2004, 02:53 am »
I just wrote to Mr. Wright a few days ago regarding the Universal Truth Mod for the Pioneer Elite DV-59AVi.  It will require an external outboard power supply that is separate from that of the stock unit (which should be modded to provide discrete power for both the digital and analog sections).  He will also cut out a corner of the metal lid of the player itself to accomodate for the size and to defeat the heat generated by the Tung Sol 5687 tubes.

So, I decided not to go with that mod.

Here is what I have finally decided to do:

Pioneer Standalone Multi-Channel Mod with 8 pin DIP sockets (to allow for op-amp rolling)
Level II Transport Mod
Power Supply Mod (CRITICAL)
LC Audio SuperClock x03 with Clock Supply Mod (CRITICAL)

I have been quoted a package deal price of $1100 USD plus $50 USD insured shipping.

I am ready to do it!  However, Mr. Wright is backed up with work so I will wait unti August 17th, 2004 to contract him to do the above mods to my source component.

Levi

Pioneer Elite DV59-AVI
« Reply #46 on: 3 Aug 2004, 03:57 pm »
Quote from: Welly Wu
I just wrote to Mr. Wright a few days ago regarding the Universal Truth Mod for the Pioneer Elite DV-59AVi.  It will require an external outboard power supply that is separate from that of the stock unit (which should be modded to provide discrete power for both the digital and analog sections).  He will also cut out a corner of the metal lid of the player itself to accomodate for the size and to defeat the heat generated by the Tung Sol 5687 tubes.

So, I decided not to go with that mod.

Here is what  ...

This is how the 999ES looks like with the tubes sticking out.  Dan does a clean job.

Here is the link if you cannot see the picture http://www.pbase.com/image/25653030

StevenACNJ

Pioneer Elite DV59-AVI
« Reply #47 on: 4 Aug 2004, 10:43 am »
Levi,

How is your 999ES sounding?

Dan should be finished with all the work on my player soon. Perhaps he will give us his listening impression when it is done.

Levi

Pioneer Elite DV59-AVI
« Reply #48 on: 4 Aug 2004, 12:05 pm »
The revised Sony 999ES sounded pretty good.  Here is the Link to my initial impressions.  The optional silver Cryo-treated umbilical cord made sound even more lively. :D

Quote from: StevenACNJ
Levi,

How is your 999ES sounding?

Dan should be finished with all the work on my player soon. Perhaps he will give us his listening impression when it is done.

Welly Wu

Pioneer Elite DV59-AVI
« Reply #49 on: 4 Aug 2004, 10:49 pm »
Levi:

Thanks for that picture.  It spoke 1000 words to me.  Maybe I will go for the Ultimate Truth Mod...

Welly Wu

Pioneer Elite DV59-AVI
« Reply #50 on: 9 Aug 2004, 01:08 am »
I can hardly contain my level of excitement over my much anticipated ModWright Pioneer Elite DV-59AVi!  I hope that I can initiate the long standing business negotiation starting on August 18th, 2004!  I also hope that I can get what I asked for done to my unit and have it back to me by September 1st, 2004!

My college graduation gift for myself is finally coming true!  I have worked plenty hard and saved carefully by scrutinizing my personal budget to allow for this gift for well over 6 months.  Patience does pay off in the long run!  :D

StevenACNJ

Pioneer Elite DV59-AVI
« Reply #51 on: 9 Aug 2004, 06:25 pm »
Welly Wu,

I can tell you that I am very glad that I had my DV-59AVI modded by Dan. Dan does very professional work, his prices are reasonable, and he is very responsive to any questions or concerns.

Even if things dont go exactly right (Wright  :o ) Dan stands behind his work. In other words, a very good return for the hard earned money spent.

BTW, I heard from Dan and my player should be all finished by tomorrow.  :D

Welly Wu

Pioneer Elite DV59-AVI
« Reply #52 on: 10 Aug 2004, 06:02 am »
Well, StevenACNJ: I'll be eagerly waiting for your initial impressions of your ModWright LLC Pioneer Elite DV-59AVi!  Dan and I agreed to wait until the middle of September 2004 until I send mine in for heavy modifications.

By the way, does the Ultimate Truth Mod absolutely require an external separate power box or not?  The ModWright website states that the power supply for the analog tube stage is built inside the unit with the tubes sticking out of one corner like the picture of the SONY 999ES.  If the power supply can stay inside my unit and it just requires another fancy power cord to power it separately, then I'm game!

Welly Wu

Pioneer Elite DV59-AVI
« Reply #53 on: 10 Aug 2004, 06:07 am »
Nevermind.  The Ultimate Truth Mod requires an external and separate power supply.  Scratch that option for good.  So, I want "just this:"

Pioneer Standalone Multi-Channel Mod with 8 pin DIP sockets so I can op-amp roll

Level II Transport Mod

Power Supply Upgrade Mod

LC Audio SuperClock X03 with Clock Supply Mod

OPA627BP op-amps installed?

$1100 USD + $50 USD insured shipping.

StevenACNJ

Pioneer Elite DV59-AVI
« Reply #54 on: 11 Aug 2004, 09:31 pm »
I have tracking number!  :mrgreen:

StevenACNJ

Pioneer Elite DV59-AVI
« Reply #55 on: 21 Aug 2004, 12:30 pm »
Well I got my DV-59AVI back on Tuesday night. It arrived via UPS safely - long trip from Oregon to New Jersey.

I unpacked it and let it sit on the dining room table until this morning. With much nervous anticipation I hooked it up to my HT system and turned everything on - walla - problem fixed.

Sounds good right out of the box. Will let it run in and report back.

Thanks Dan   :mrgreen:

Edit & update:

After testing & several straight hours of playing, I moved the player to its
proper space & final home. Dabbed on some Walker SST to the Furutech Rhodium IEC inlet & both RCA ends of digital cable. Applied Caig Pro Gold on both ends of cryo treated HDMI/DVI cable. Connected electric via VH Audio PC to my BPT 3.5 Signature.

Attached Herbies CD/DVD mat & spun up Eagles Hell Freezes over dvd playing in DTS. I have never seen  better dvd picture quality and I am absolutely floored by the sound quality. This player is now truely awesome and will probably get better as it burns in.

Nice job Dan!

modwright

Thanks!
« Reply #56 on: 22 Aug 2004, 12:49 am »
Thanks, I am pleased that you are enjoying it.

Note for future:

I plan to discontinue all Pioneer mods, except for the 59AVi.  I like the Pioneer units, but we are just TOO busy these days to do it ALL.  This is the best unit in the Pioneer line right now and I will be offering mods for it.

I plan to update our site and offer specific mods for just this model.

Thanks,

Dan

Welly Wu

Pioneer Elite DV59-AVI
« Reply #57 on: 22 Aug 2004, 04:59 am »
Thank GOD!

Dan:

Are you getting back from vacation by September 6th, 2004?  I got about a 3 week window of time between then and early October 2004 to get my Pioneer Elite DV-59AVi to you to do your magic.  I will be calling you during that week in September to arrange for payment in full upfront and I'll send off my stock unit to your company that same week too.

modwright

Vacation
« Reply #58 on: 22 Aug 2004, 08:14 pm »
I will be back to work on the 7th, as the 6th is a holiday.

Please Note:

ModWright is now discontinuing ALL Pioneer mods, with the exception of the DV-59AVi.

I am going to be updating our website with specific mods, directly suited for this particular unit.  Prices and details will be on site soon.

All existing orders of this unit or other Pioneer units will of course be completed as initially agreed upon and at agreed upon prices.  

The reason for doing this is because we are simply too busy and the other Pioneer units, while exceptional products and an exceptiona value, are not built to the same level as the 59AVi and I don't have time to do it all.

Thanks,

Dan

Welly Wu

Pioneer Elite DV59-AVI
« Reply #59 on: 8 Sep 2004, 08:49 am »
My Pioneer Elite DV-59AVi should arrive to your company today.  I will call to arrange for payments.  What time will you be in at work?