Denon 2900 vs Pio 59AVi vs Denon 3910

Jay S

« on: 4 Nov 2004, 05:16 am »
Dan,

Considering you are pretty busy I thought it would be most efficient to summarize questions I had previously emailed to you here online so that others could benefit from your replies as well.  

- How would you rank the 2900/3910/59AVi stock/modified as a transport? Would you consider any reference quality as a transport (modded)?
- How do the 2ch audio of the Ultimate Truth Denon 2900 vs the Platinum Pioneer 59Avi compare?
- Why isn't a tube output stage offered for the Pioneer?  Do you plan to offer one?
- Are there additional tweaks to improve 2ch audio, beyond LClock and bybees?
- Assuming Ultimate Truth Mods, is there much benefit to modding a 3910 vs a 2900?  Is the money better spent on an LClock?

I imagine these questions are on the minds of others.  I hope this doesn't take too long to answer.

Thanks!

- Jay

P.S. My friend Ken in Taiwan loves his Modwright 999es!  I just happen to want a universal player.

modwright

Denons...
« Reply #1 on: 5 Nov 2004, 04:44 am »

Dan,

Considering you are pretty busy I thought it would be most efficient to summarize questions I had previously emailed to you here online so that others could benefit from your replies as well.

Sure.

- How would you rank the 2900/3910/59AVi stock/modified as a transport? Would you consider any reference quality as a transport (modded)?

Well, all are good units, but I have just received a 3910 and haven't listened to it yet, so I am referring to the 2900, 5900 and 59AVi.

The Pioneer makes an exceptional transport.  I have not really evaluated the Denon's as a transport, but as standalone players.  I have to say that I prefer the sound of the tube-modified Denon's to the Pioneer, but I have not tube-modified the Pioneer yet.

- How do the 2ch audio of the Ultimate Truth Denon 2900 vs the Platinum Pioneer 59Avi compare?
- Why isn't a tube output stage offered for the Pioneer? Do you plan to offer one?
- Are there additional tweaks to improve 2ch audio, beyond LClock and bybees?

I still prefer the tube mods for the Denon over the Platinum mods for the Pioneer.  There is simply not enough room in the Pioneer for the tube mods.

- Assuming Ultimate Truth Mods, is there much benefit to modding a 3910 vs a 2900? Is the money better spent on an LClock?
I haven't listened to the 3910 yet, but will be evaluating it over the next week.

I imagine these questions are on the minds of others. I hope this doesn't take too long to answer.

In a nutshell:

I prefer the Denons to the Pioneers and I prefer the tube mods.  I am optimistic about the 3910, but unsure about reports of poor reliability.

I hope this helps.

Thanks,

Dan W.

Jay S

« Reply #2 on: 6 Nov 2004, 05:04 pm »
Dan,

Thanks for replying in spite of your crazy workload.  The modded Denon sounds best for me but I'll hold off till you get a chance to evaluate the 3910.  

- Jay