CDT 8 Pro transport

Mr Peabody

CDT 8 Pro transport
« on: 11 Jul 2018, 04:54 pm »
I'm beginning to look into CD transports, wondering if anyone has compared the CDT8 to any other transports? 

Also any comment on the upsampling, sounds better, not much difference etc.  I'm assuming the various rates are selectable? 

I'm using a Hegel HD30 DAC.  I do stream Tidal now but not interested in a server at this point.

Thanks

Westerwälder

Re: CDT 8 Pro transport
« Reply #1 on: 11 Jul 2018, 07:21 pm »
 I compared the CDT-8 with my highly acclaimed Pro-Ject CD Box RS. This is now for a fraction of the purchase price for sale.

maxima95

« Reply #2 on: 11 Jul 2018, 07:34 pm »
Westerwälder

The CDT 8 is that much better that you are selling the CD Box RS?

I am interested because I have a Project CD Box RS.  Thanks for any information you can provide.

Emil

« Reply #3 on: 11 Jul 2018, 07:49 pm »
This may not help but I've used a PS Audio Perfectwave Memory player for some time before I sold it.
Streaming 100% now

Many positive reviews out there.

Something to think about....

here's one for $999 on Audiogon
https://www.audiogon.com/listings/lis90fc0-ps-audio-perfectwave-transport-transports

Westerwälder

« Reply #4 on: 12 Jul 2018, 04:59 am »
The CDT 8 plays much more natural. Much better than the CD box. It's a clear thing for me. More spatiality, a good orangeability of the instruments. Voices are played back in their original form. Listening to music with the CDT 8 does not strain.

envydd

« Reply #5 on: 12 Jul 2018, 05:18 am »
Does the sample rate conversion help with the sound? e.g. DSD or 384Khz

rustydoglim

« Reply #6 on: 12 Jul 2018, 06:38 am »
Sample rate conversion only makes the music sounded different, it will not add any details. The nice thing is that you can try it on-the-fly with the remote.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #7 on: 12 Jul 2018, 01:08 pm »
  There is nothing better than a dedicated transport for CD playback. Especially Redbook. Nice to have the sample rate conversion to play with.
  Have yet to hear CDT 8 however with Nuprimes reputation should be a VG product to at least try.

charles

maxima95

« Reply #8 on: 12 Jul 2018, 02:15 pm »
The CDT 8 plays much more natural. Much better than the CD box. It's a clear thing for me. More spatiality, a good orangeability of the instruments. Voices are played back in their original form. Listening to music with the CDT 8 does not strain.

Thank you for the information.

This may sound silly, but do you find the remote (which doesn't have numerical buttons for direct track access) to be inconvenient?  I had a transport that had a similar remote and I found the track access inconvenient.  I was relieved to get the Pro-ject which had numerical/direct access buttons.

rustydoglim

« Reply #9 on: 12 Jul 2018, 03:44 pm »
I know, but as a small manufacturer, making remote control is a major pain in the ass (hey, I will tell it like it is) problem. Supplier wants large order (1K or more), so we have to standardise the remote for many models (with some variations on the keys).
Most people don't need to keep jumping around from track to track (unless doing demo, but better to compile everything in one CD).

Westerwälder

« Reply #10 on: 12 Jul 2018, 06:48 pm »

This may sound silly, but do you find the remote (which doesn't have numerical buttons for direct track access) to be inconvenient?  I had a transport that had a similar remote and I found the track access inconvenient.  I was relieved to get the Pro-ject which had numerical/direct access buttons.

The remote control is high quality processed. (Sorry, but better than DAC 10) Most CDs have 10 or more tracks. So no problem, to accept the short wait until the desired title is selected. And the listener can once again listen to every single song. Often one concentrates too much on the favorite music. But that changes with the CDT 8. My motto: Since Nuprime CDT8, DAC 10 H and ST 10 my old CD collection became my new CD collection  :thumb:

maxima95

« Reply #11 on: 12 Jul 2018, 07:28 pm »
I know, but as a small manufacturer, making remote control is a major pain in the ass (hey, I will tell it like it is) problem. Supplier wants large order (1K or more), so we have to standardise the remote for many models (with some variations on the keys).
Most people don't need to keep jumping around from track to track (unless doing demo, but better to compile everything in one CD).

Understood.  Thanks.

maxima95

« Reply #12 on: 12 Jul 2018, 07:30 pm »
The remote control is high quality processed. (Sorry, but better than DAC 10) Most CDs have 10 or more tracks. So no problem, to accept the short wait until the desired title is selected. And the listener can once again listen to every single song. Often one concentrates too much on the favorite music. But that changes with the CDT 8. My motto: Since Nuprime CDT8, DAC 10 H and ST 10 my old CD collection became my new CD collection  :thumb:

envydd

« Reply #13 on: 12 Jul 2018, 09:13 pm »
Another question: is the cdp9 = cdt8 + 9028 based dac? Is the dac section better than the dac10?

rustydoglim

« Reply #14 on: 15 Jul 2018, 02:29 pm »
No. As we stated in a FAQ, a good DAC nowadays is way more than the DAC chip. The difference between ESS 9018, 9028 and 9038 are very small, and if you are not use to the chip, you could ended up making it sounds worst.  For example, someone who has implemented 9018 many times can make it sound better than someone who just use 9028.  Even if you are not technical, just take a look at the inside of a high end DAC. Try to locate the DAC chip :). Now think the rest of the parts and design doesn’t matter?
DAC-10H is still a better DAC than CDP-9 in some areas but they are very close.

If you are a headphone and speaker user, definitely go with DAC-10H - the tight integration of headphone amp and DAC makes DAC-10H unmatched by other DAC and headphone amp combo.
If headphone is not important, then CDP-9 is good choice over DAC-10, only if you don’t need the analog input.

rjclaster

« Reply #15 on: 18 Jul 2018, 08:54 am »
would the CDT 8 be significantly superior as a cd transport to an oppo digital player?

mr_bill

« Reply #16 on: 18 Jul 2018, 10:24 pm »
Rustydog
Which digital output is best to use on the CD8T Pro?
Also, what DACs accept the HDMI I2S output?  Does the PS Audio DirectStream Dac?

rustydoglim

« Reply #17 on: 20 Jul 2018, 01:28 pm »
I2S can be used with other DAC but it was designed for future NuPrime products.  I heard that the I2S CDT-8Pro can be used with PS Audio.  It is best that you use the HDMI cable bundled with CDT-8 Pro to avoid using inferior HDMI cable.
Normally coaxial (other than I2S) should be the one to use.

rjclaster

« Reply #18 on: 26 Jul 2018, 06:35 am »
does the CDT 8 play blue ray audio discs?

rustydoglim

« Reply #19 on: 28 Jul 2018, 06:10 pm »
No SACD or DVD.  Just CD.