James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: BDP-1 Recommended Interfaces
« Reply #40 on: 11 May 2011, 03:18 pm »
Hi Greg

MPAD looks for album art in two places - Filename and URL

The URL specifies location of music folder (http://bryston-bdp-1.local/music) on the BDP-1. The file name should be the name of the album art files - (Folder.jpg)

So as long as you have entered that above information into the Local Cover Art section "and have created the picture files" - all should work.

Another way MPAD gets album art is connected to the internet.

james

jjc1

« Reply #41 on: 11 May 2011, 03:56 pm »
Well, after several hours, I got the playlist thing fixed on the MPOD.  However, I still can't the album art to show.  Does anyone know how to do this? Thanks.

Be sure to get the latest firmware upgrade from Bryston. I experienced the same frustrations for about 2 weeks when I first purchased the BDP1. Once I upgraded to the latest firmware, every interface (Mpod, Minion, Mini, Max) all began to work just fine. Contact James and he will send you the lateset update.

Vipers

« Reply #42 on: 12 May 2011, 03:07 pm »
Use two fingers to scroll the list.

Would love it if that could be changed... James?

Now I've got my Ipad I've actually figured how to use Max correctly.

James, any reason why the 2 finger approach was decided on? and like OgOgilby says can it be changed to just a simple scroll setup using 1 finger like Mpad and Mini?

Thanks,

Hi - Because the window is a 'window within a window' so you have to use 2 fingers.

james
« Last Edit: 12 May 2011, 05:09 pm by James Tanner »

terrycym

« Reply #43 on: 16 May 2011, 03:08 pm »
FYI
Minion is no longer compatible with the latest version of Firefox

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #44 on: 16 May 2011, 06:34 pm »
FYI
Minion is no longer compatible with the latest version of Firefox

Hi Terry,

Yes thanks I was aware of that.  I got it to work on version 4 with a special file my software guy came up with.  Email me and I will send you the file.

james

jjc1

« Reply #45 on: 16 May 2011, 07:07 pm »
Gnome Setup on PC

james

James, is there a website for GNOME? And should I be using Firefox?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #46 on: 16 May 2011, 07:20 pm »
No Gnome does not work through a website - that's the advantage of GNOME.

Email me and I will send you the link.

james

terrycym

« Reply #47 on: 16 May 2011, 07:29 pm »

Alpha10

« Reply #48 on: 16 May 2011, 07:37 pm »
+1 for Gnome, I use it on my office PC has been very stable and is easy to use.

Cheers

jjc1

« Reply #49 on: 17 May 2011, 04:38 pm »
No Gnome does not work through a website - that's the advantage of GNOME.

Email me and I will send you the link.

james
Tried GNOME last night for trhe first time. I like it a lot. Lot's interesting ways to find your music plus I liked the extras (lyrics, artist info, resolution info, etc.). Seems GNOME and Minion are the best interfaces for my purposes. Mpod is the least friendly of all, loses the connection a lot and the search listings have a tendency to change for no particular reason.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #50 on: 18 May 2011, 07:36 pm »
Hi Folks

If anyone is looking to pick up an iPod touch, Apple has refurbished 3rd generation 32GB iPod Touches for $199

http://store.apple.com/ca/product/FC008LL/A?mco=MTkyNzE1ODI

james

jas007

« Reply #51 on: 19 May 2011, 01:21 pm »
MEMO: To All Bryston Customers
SUBJECT: Samsung Galaxy Tablet – Android OS

Hi Folks,

Another device you can use to control the Bryston BDP-1 Digital Player is the ‘Samsung Galaxy Tablet’ running the (2.2) Android operating system.

The BDP-1 works well using the ‘MPDroid’ music player interface. Looks like the standard Android music player except controls Linux MPD.

Log on to the internet and go to the 'MARKET' icon on the Galaxy Tablet desktop and download the 'MPDROID APP (it’s free) by searching 'MPD'

NOTE: - currently need to put the IP Address in HOST (not- bryston-bdp-1.local)

(The Tablet will also run the Bryston ‘MINI’ application and we recommend using the Android Zirco Browser (available free on Android Market Place.    http://market.android.com/search?q=zirco.)

James Tanner
Bryston

Hi James,

I was thinking of buying an IPad to use as a big remote, but one of these Samsung Galaxy things is only $299, which is a few hundred dollars cheaper than an IPad.  Anyway, you say that you currently have to enter an IP address in Host.  Is this something you have to do every time you use the unit?  Or do you just do it once?

Thanks

terrycym

« Reply #52 on: 19 May 2011, 01:31 pm »
Hi James,

I was thinking of buying an IPad to use as a big remote, but one of these Samsung Galaxy things is only $299, which is a few hundred dollars cheaper than an IPad.  Anyway, you say that you currently have to enter an IP address in Host.  Is this something you have to do every time you use the unit?  Or do you just do it once?

Thanks

£170 for an Android tablet from Dabs if someone wants Android.

http://www.dabs.com/products/storage-options-scroll-7--android-tablet-pc-with-capacitive-multi-touch-screen-7GSY.html?utm_source=standard+email&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=email170511&utm_content=i800

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #53 on: 19 May 2011, 02:40 pm »
Hi James,

Thanks

Hi jas007

I have both the Galaxy and the iPad 2. The Samsung Galaxy (only one I have tried) needs the IP address as you say and the only issue is that address may change if it looses its lease time or power failure - (no it does not have to be entered each time).  I have had the Galaxy up and running in one of my systems with the IP address for about 3 months now with no issues. The other option is you could assign a Static IP address which would prevent an IP loss.  You can assign a static IP address through the BDP-1 homepage.   I use MPDROID with the Galaxy which is a free APP.

That being said I much prefer the iPad 2 - it is a joy to use and MPOD and MPAD are superb interfaces :thumb:

james

ThinkingPlus

« Reply #54 on: 7 Jun 2011, 07:34 pm »
I recently purchased a BDP-1.  I added a network bridge to bring it onto my network and verified that I get connectivity via PC (ran MAX) and used my phone and a browser to run MINI.  I downloaded MPDroid since this appears to be a reasonable application for controlling the BDP-1 using an Android device.  Should work on my phone and would also apply should I ever go tablet.  My music was dragged onto an SSDD from iTunes.

Now to the issue.  MPDroid seems to connect, but shows the message "No songs found".  Anyone ever encounter this issue before?  The folks that developed MPDroid gave me the email equivalent of a sigh / shrug when I asked if they had seen this issue.  Any help / information is greatly appreciated.

Steph

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #55 on: 7 Jun 2011, 08:05 pm »
I recently purchased a BDP-1.  I added a network bridge to bring it onto my network and verified that I get connectivity via PC (ran MAX) and used my phone and a browser to run MINI.  I downloaded MPDroid since this appears to be a reasonable application for controlling the BDP-1 using an Android device.  Should work on my phone and would also apply should I ever go tablet.  My music was dragged onto an SSDD from iTunes.

Now to the issue.  MPDroid seems to connect, but shows the message "No songs found".  Anyone ever encounter this issue before?  The folks that developed MPDroid gave me the email equivalent of a sigh / shrug when I asked if they had seen this issue.  Any help / information is greatly appreciated.

Steph

Hi Steph,

Does it say 'no songs found' or 'no song info'?

james

ThinkingPlus

« Reply #56 on: 7 Jun 2011, 08:56 pm »
Hi Steph,

Does it say 'no songs found' or 'no song info'?

james

Could be 'no song info'.  I can check for sure when I get home tonight.  If that is the message, do you have any ideas as to what I should do?

Steph

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #57 on: 7 Jun 2011, 10:00 pm »
Could be 'no song info'.  I can check for sure when I get home tonight.  If that is the message, do you have any ideas as to what I should do?

Steph

Yes it may mean you do not have a Playlist loaded from the Library :scratch:

James

skunark

« Reply #58 on: 7 Jun 2011, 10:03 pm »
My music was dragged onto an SSDD from iTunes.

When you dragged from iTunes, did you mean the application or the directory?   You will need to copy the files from actual directory and not use the iTunes application.

ThinkingPlus

« Reply #59 on: 7 Jun 2011, 10:24 pm »
Yes it may mean you do not have a Playlist loaded from the Library :scratch:

James

Kind of a chicken / egg problem there.  I don't have playlists, just the music.  Could make a playlist in MPDroid, but it can't find the songs to build a playlist from.  Shouldn't need playlists anyway.  MPDroid should parse music into albums / songs per folder arrangement.  Frustrating.  Playlists are a redundant concept anyhow.  Albums have always been the encapsulation of N associated songs.  A personalized album would be a collection of songs arranged by the user, i.e., a playlist.  Why doesn't Apple just re-create the world, call it iWorld, and get over it.  Maybe I will try some other 'Droid apps.

Steph