Bryston Manic Moose Interface

Pironi

Re: Bryston Manic Moose Interface
« Reply #160 on: 6 Jan 2021, 08:24 am »
Hello,
May you all have a happy new year!

It seems that I'm having a problem with the Shairport-Sync service.
There is no possible way to connect from 2 different iPhones, BDP doesn't appear on the list as it normally did in the past.
I have tried to put a fixed IP and hard reset the devices many times.
Do you have any idea on what else Should I try ?

Thanks,
Spyros

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #161 on: 6 Jan 2021, 11:53 am »
Hello,
May you all have a happy new year!

It seems that I'm having a problem with the Shairport-Sync service.
There is no possible way to connect from 2 different iPhones, BDP doesn't appear on the list as it normally did in the past.
I have tried to put a fixed IP and hard reset the devices many times.
Do you have any idea on what else Should I try ?

Thanks,
Spyros

I certainly would avoid using a static ip address.

Two things to check, make sure your iOS devices are connected to the same network as the BDP, the first three octets of the ip address should match (ie if the BDP is assigned 192.168.0.12, your iphone would be assigned an address beginning with 192.168.0.).  The other thing to check is to make sure the service is running after turning it on, you can check its state on the services settings page.

Chris

Pironi

« Reply #162 on: 6 Jan 2021, 07:58 pm »
Hello Chris, thanks for your help.
I have the same first ip octets:
Router is 192.168.31.1
iPhone is 192.168.31.9
BDP is 192.168.31.159

The services are double checked:

Is there something that I'm missing, or any other ideas?

Thanks

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #163 on: 6 Jan 2021, 09:05 pm »
Hello Chris, thanks for your help.
I have the same first ip octets:
Router is 192.168.31.1
iPhone is 192.168.31.9
BDP is 192.168.31.159

I'm not sure if you've maybe setup some IP address reservation? Usually DHCP servers handout IP's in order (not always, so perhaps this is normal for your device), but there appears to be a large jump between your iPhone and the BDP, 9 vs 159.  What I'm trying to get at is some routers will semi isolate traffic between wired and wireless devices (i guess its a security feature).  I could be totally wrong, but you might want to go into your routers settings and check for any kind of feature that isolates wired devices from your wireless devices.  Its not a feature I see very frequently, but i have come across it a handful of times.  Im also assuming the BDP is wired to your home network and the iPhone is wireless.

Chris

Pironi

« Reply #164 on: 26 Jan 2021, 07:44 pm »
Hello Chris,
I didn't reply earlier because I was waiting for a new router to check the lan to wifi isolation thing...
I have new devices all around and nothing has changed. I have proper connection through ip or the "my.bryston.com" page but it's impossible to see the device on my iPhones list

gbaby

« Reply #165 on: 27 Jan 2021, 08:15 pm »
Folks wanting a revamp of Manic Moose for the BDP digital player should keep in mind that this revision will cause an increase in prices. My take is functionality and performance over cosmetics or aesthetics, however you want to term it.

bigbuj

« Reply #166 on: 27 Jan 2021, 10:26 pm »
i have spoken to Gary Dayton on FB about a new interface for the bdp-3 and he confirmed to me that it's coming out shortly. MM imo is outdated not user frendly and Tidal integration is a pain. I'm happy Bryston is moving on to a new experience. I am TechSavy myself and i'm happy Gary told me this today cause i get frustrated with MM all the time. All the other competitors like Auralic , Innuos , bluesound , Emmlabs etc... have app/interface that's more intuitive and friendlier. thanks Bryston for the good news , i will not amymore put my BDP-3 up for sale cause i was on the verge of doing it.

Pironi

« Reply #167 on: 13 Feb 2021, 03:15 am »
I'm not sure if you've maybe setup some IP address reservation? Usually DHCP servers handout IP's in order (not always, so perhaps this is normal for your device), but there appears to be a large jump between your iPhone and the BDP, 9 vs 159.  What I'm trying to get at is some routers will semi isolate traffic between wired and wireless devices (i guess its a security feature).  I could be totally wrong, but you might want to go into your routers settings and check for any kind of feature that isolates wired devices from your wireless devices.  Its not a feature I see very frequently, but i have come across it a handful of times.  Im also assuming the BDP is wired to your home network and the iPhone is wireless.

Chris

Dear Chris hello,

After many days of experimentation and many changes on my network devices and topology I found out that the problem of not having Airplay was due to some sort of security option on the Vodafone Greece supplied router.
When using internal wireless or when a wifi router is  connected directly to a port of the vf router, services like shout cast or airplay are not allowed. There was nothing in the menu of 3 different routers that they sent me that could be altered in order ti allow these services.
The way it worked for me was from Isp's router with cable to a switch then with cable to a wifi router and to bdp.

Thanks for the support,
Hope this will work for others as well.
Spyros

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #168 on: 14 Feb 2021, 03:09 pm »
Dear Chris hello,

After many days of experimentation and many changes on my network devices and topology I found out that the problem of not having Airplay was due to some sort of security option on the Vodafone Greece supplied router.
When using internal wireless or when a wifi router is  connected directly to a port of the vf router, services like shout cast or airplay are not allowed. There was nothing in the menu of 3 different routers that they sent me that could be altered in order ti allow these services.
The way it worked for me was from Isp's router with cable to a switch then with cable to a wifi router and to bdp.

Thanks for the support,
Hope this will work for others as well.
Spyros

that's good, sounds like the BDP was double nat'd; both routers using the same IP address scheme through me off.

Chris

jobiwon

« Reply #169 on: 15 Feb 2021, 12:04 am »
Will the Pi have the Huevos to Run the new version of MM?

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #170 on: 16 Feb 2021, 05:14 pm »
Will the Pi have the Huevos to Run the new version of MM?

Likely, the new software should make better use of multi core devices like our pi based products that use quad core processors and the BDP-3(also quad core device)/BDP-2(multi thread capable).

WillyP

« Reply #171 on: 16 Feb 2021, 06:29 pm »
Chris,

Does this include the BDA-3.14?

Willy

abk456

« Reply #172 on: 16 Feb 2021, 06:34 pm »
Any timing yet for the new interface?

bigbuj

« Reply #173 on: 18 Sep 2021, 02:30 am »
any news about new interface of manic moose in the near future , thanx for your answer.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #174 on: 18 Sep 2021, 11:21 am »
Looks like late fall.

One question I have though is with all these new streaming services like Apple Music, Amazon HD, Qobuz, Spotify, Tidal etc. which use their own apps do you think proprietary software will be necessary?

james

Twiga

« Reply #175 on: 18 Sep 2021, 02:42 pm »
A legitimate question to ask.

Some of us fogies listen primarily (if not exclusively) to our own libraries. Although there are third-party, non-streaming control interfaces out there, I have become quite used to Manic Moose with all its warts and beauty marks.

My $0.02

bigbuj

« Reply #176 on: 18 Sep 2021, 03:38 pm »
Looks like late fall.

One question I have though is with all these new streaming services like Apple Music, Amazon HD, Qobuz, Spotify, Tidal etc. which use their own apps do you think proprietary software will be necessary?

james

I think a lot of people use Roon and the BDP-3 as an endpoint. But in my case i have a monthly subcription with Tidal Music. I did try Roon but i found that the sound quality is better in my system just using Manic Moose than going through Roon. Also Roon is not a cheap subscription. I do use on my iphone/ipad the app Rigelian and i like the interface but downside of that app is that there is no integration for Tidal and when i play around with Tidal in Manic Moose i find it's a pain. I manage to play the Tidal music that i want but it's REALLY NOT fluid at all.

Silverbullet

« Reply #177 on: 18 Sep 2021, 09:02 pm »
I listen almost exclusively to my own music collection and quite like manic moose. Can’t see any reason to pay ridiculous money for something like ROON. An overriding issue is that the internet service where I live is very basic, ADSL only, and I have to share it with four others who continually stream video. A closed room and MM forever I hope.

J2Ordan

« Reply #178 on: 19 Sep 2021, 02:07 am »
Manic Moose has served me quite well; robust/stable and great sounding. Any time i had a problem with it was when doing some network stuff like adding a new router or messing with network configurations. These FEW times were due to my own doing. Despite my mistakes, Bryston was EXCELLENT is resolving the issue.

That said, to be critical, perhaps overly critical, the interface is a bit "DOS Like." I'd like to see something more like "iTunes" or Artist View integration with Qobuz combined with the "Scraper" option in MM.

As far as ROON is concerned, tried it with the 60 day trail in various configurations. It does some interesting things database wise speaking. But... the sound quality was never as good as using MM the BDP3; ripped aiff files or Qobuz. Yeah, could have gone down the rabbit hole of a dedicated server feeding the BDP3 with exotic four figure cabling, power supplies and other audiophile "dingleberries." No desire past experience with has proved to be of quick diminishing returns.

Looking forward to giving the Nutty interface a whirl when available.

JohnJ

NekoAudio

• Industry Participant
    • Neko Audio LLC
« Reply #179 on: 19 Sep 2021, 08:31 pm »
I still meet enough people who want to use their own music on local USB-attached or network storage that Manic Moose is a topic of discussion. Plus people want to be able to also use AirPlay and some streaming services' native apps, switching between their own files and other sources seamlessly.