My New Cherry Jr. Arrived today

Cheeseboy

Re: My New Cherry Jr. Arrived today
« Reply #20 on: 21 Dec 2011, 07:48 pm »
The soundstage is very well done.  Plenty of air around the players and clear definition of where everyone is and what they are playing.  The best property of the two components working together pre and amp is that they have disappeared.   Really musical presentation.  Especially on Orchestra and Jazz.  There is nothing in the way of high res. pure musical enjoyment.  As my grandaddy would say "You can pick the fly shit out the pepper" 

I have some speaker wire upgrades to make.  I have some interconnect changes to make as well.  I think there is some room for improvement in those areas in my system.  The preamp is a battery powered tubed unit.  It is RCA out and I'm using a Morrow Audio MA-2 to th RCA to the Balanced Adaptor that came in the box. 

Soundstage you ask?  Seamless.

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
    • Digital Amplifier Company
« Reply #21 on: 22 Dec 2011, 09:22 am »
I'm sure that many have said it before.  "I love my Cherry" 

It muscles the lows with authority, keeps the sugar in the middle voices and extends the highs to the skys.  I'm so happy with the Dodd/Cherry Combo.  The holidays have kept me in suspense while the preamp was breaking in. 

The handoff from a tubed preamp to the Cherry is effortless.  The Cherry shows the music to all in a well balanced manner. 

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to you Tommy.  People are gathered together in the sound room at our house enjoying your handiwork.  Many of those holiday smiles are a result of your Cherry Power.  The holidays never sounded so good.

Thanks so much and same to you!  :)

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #22 on: 22 Dec 2011, 04:58 pm »
Hey Mr. Cheese,

I find that one of the most stunning properties of my Cherry Plus is the imaging/soundstaging - the effortless ability to make speakers disappear and sound to come from seemingly nowhere. (of course not to downplay all of the other attributes!)

Are you hearing this too, relative to past amps?  Are you able to go balanced from pre to amp?

Tommy will get to hear my system after Christmas - It's been awhile and with the "pull the tube" mod on my EE DAC, new Audioquest Colorado XLRs 'tween pre and amp, and the full Soundcheck mods on the Touch he is gonna poop himself. :nono:

-Mike

Mike,
Maybe I should bring the Cherry MONO ULTRAs.  YOU will poop yourself then!  Ha ha.   :roll:

-Tommy

mfsoa

« Reply #23 on: 22 Dec 2011, 05:07 pm »
Bring 'em on, AmpBoy!!  :thumb:

Cheeseboy

« Reply #24 on: 24 Dec 2011, 12:09 am »
If Tommy Left a pair of Ultra Monos at my house you would have to park a porta potty in the living room.

I'm just sayin here!

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #25 on: 24 Dec 2011, 12:34 am »
If Tommy Left a pair of Ultra Monos at my house you would have to park a porta potty in the living room.

I'm just sayin here!

Nice!

Barry_NJ

• So much media... So little time...
« Reply #26 on: 24 Dec 2011, 02:52 pm »
Mike,
Maybe I should bring the Cherry MONO ULTRAs.  YOU will poop yourself then!  Ha ha.   :roll:

-Tommy

I wanna hear 'em!!!

Cheeseboy

« Reply #27 on: 24 Dec 2011, 08:42 pm »
Seriously, can it get any better than what I've got today?  Bring it on!

watercourse

« Reply #28 on: 28 Dec 2011, 05:07 am »
Happy Holidays Steve, finally checking in after holiday get-togethers. I'm am so glad you are enjoying the Cherry and Dodd combo - I put the Plus back into the system, and man, is it sounding good!
Did Santa leave an EH gold pin 6H30 in your stocking? ;)
Wilson

Cheeseboy

« Reply #29 on: 28 Dec 2011, 04:47 pm »
I was hoping for a 6H30DR.  Or a pair of Morrow SP4 speaker cables.  None of which have materialized.  I must have been on Santas naughty list. 

As the season is winding down I have to get a date together to have you and the other LS series local guys over for some listening and wine tasting.  I have been advocating a tubed pre amp in thier systems for some time.  The way that everything sounds right now the Dodd/Cherry combo is stellar. 

Who's got it better than we do?

HiroPro

« Reply #30 on: 4 Jan 2012, 02:09 am »
I'm looking at a new amp for my main system. How would the Cherry at $1200 bucks a channel compared to an ATI AT200x or AT300x amp?

Cheeseboy

« Reply #31 on: 4 Jan 2012, 11:27 pm »
I don't know too much about the ATI products for Audio.  After looking at thier web site I have learned they are a conventional type of amp, balanced and use an class A/B amp topology.  The design reminds me of the high value products offered by Emotiva.  The Cherry is a digital amp.  I have never heard an ATI Amplifier. 

There is a professional reveiw on the Cherry Jr. that can be found on the Digital Amp Co. Circle.  I purchased the Cherry because it was recommended by a couple of people that I have learned to value thier opinions here on the Audio Circle.  As it turnes out they were spot on when it came to performance.    My Cherry is very musical, powerful and energy efficient.  The key word being musical.  It was a great match with my speakers and preAmp. 

Cheeseboy

« Reply #32 on: 6 Jan 2012, 12:30 am »
Happy Holidays Steve, finally checking in after holiday get-togethers. I'm am so glad you are enjoying the Cherry and Dodd combo - I put the Plus back into the system, and man, is it sounding good!
Did Santa leave an EH gold pin 6H30 in your stocking? ;)
Wilson

You should know me by now.  I tend to scan things and not read deeply.  After I reveiwed the email exchange with Gary I realized he did install the Gold Pin EH 6H30 in my preamp.  They do sound good!

watercourse

« Reply #33 on: 7 Jan 2012, 09:16 am »
 :icon_lol:  Glad to know Gary and I are on the same page!
I've heard an ATI amp at my brother-in-law's place, but it was driving small bookshelves, and not really a critical setup. Didn't sound bad, what I heard, but not memorable.
The owner did complain that the fan would come on very often and was audible, and so popped open the case and disconnected - but also voiding the warranty.