A simple start

quietdragon

A simple start
« on: 20 Aug 2007, 03:27 pm »
I stumbled across www.rawacoustics.com, and I'm wondering if you folks might suggest a gentle introduction to DIY speaker construction.

I have experience assembling electronics, so the cross overs, etc, aren't a worry to me.

I'm a lot more concerned about the woodworking aspects, especially getting a nice finish with the veneers.

I thought perhaps a subwoofer kit might present a good introduction, but I couldn't find a subwoofer kit at www.rawacoustics.com.

Thoughts?

JRace

• Greetings one and Everyone!
Re: A simple start
« Reply #1 on: 20 Aug 2007, 05:34 pm »
Al (from RAW) may do a custom sub kit for you depending on your requirements. Email him with your request (info@rawacoustics.com) and when he is back form holidays I am sure he will disucss it with you.

As for any of the other kits, I would start with the smaller speakers, like the HT2 or even the RAW FR.

What is your intended use?

quietdragon

Re: A simple start
« Reply #2 on: 20 Aug 2007, 09:01 pm »
Al (from RAW) may do a custom sub kit for you depending on your requirements. Email him with your request (info@rawacoustics.com) and when he is back form holidays I am sure he will disucss it with you.

As for any of the other kits, I would start with the smaller speakers, like the HT2 or even the RAW FR.

What is your intended use?

I'd like to work my way up have a set of 2 channel floor standing speakers for audio (jazz, vocals, etc) as I upgrade my audio setup. My original thought was to get a 2nd hand set of Mirage M3s (or similar). I'm now considering going the DIY route, but I think if I go this way, starting with something manageable would be best.

I could do with a better subwoofer for my HT setup --- which is why I thought of the subwoofer. It's also tucked away, so any, err, "learning experiences" would not be so visible ;-)

I'm not sure what I'd do with the HT2s or RAW FRs when I was done.

PS Your guitars look wonderful.