Firmware Updates - V2/2.1

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
  • Innovated passive & active preamp technology
    • Tortuga Audio
Re: Firmware Updates - V2/2.1
« Reply #100 on: 22 Jun 2020, 04:58 pm »
Hi Morten

Reviving a moribund thread to ask a simple question. I have used and massively enjoyed my DIY balanced V2.1, with relay output boards for quite a few years. But I have been derelict in updating the firmware. The controller returns 21812021 on power up. Since the eternity that I have not updated the firmware, I see that you have moved all the firmware updates to an ftp server.

The question is, what is the software version I need to download?

Kind regards

Craig

Hi Craig,

We've updated our online documentation so that it now also includes the firmware instructions/files for the V2/V2.1 models.
I refer you to the following link:  https://tortugaaudio.com/docs-category/firmware/
You'll see firmware info for both the V25 and V2 types listed. Ignore the V25 info.

Cheers,
Morten

craig sawyers

« Reply #101 on: 22 Jun 2020, 05:45 pm »
I think I've answered my own question - the DIY version of 2.2.8.

It is on the Tortuga website, but I only found it by a google search.....

Craig

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #102 on: 22 Jun 2020, 06:17 pm »
I think I've answered my own question - the DIY version of 2.2.8.

It is on the Tortuga website, but I only found it by a google search.....

Craig

Right, there's only ever been 1 version of the firmware listed at any given time. It happens to be 2.2.8 which has been stable now for 2+ years. However there are versions of 2.2.8 for different V2 based products. I think when you looked for it on the website earlier it wasn't there at all because we're in the process of converting over to a new online product documentation system and the V2 firmware info was in limbo.

craig sawyers

« Reply #103 on: 22 Jun 2020, 06:22 pm »
Our two replies must have crossed! Funnily enough when I looked at my downloads file, I actually had the file already! Anyhow - thanks for keeping support available for those of us running older versions of your excellent product line.

Kind regards

Craig

craig sawyers

« Reply #104 on: 22 Jun 2020, 08:18 pm »
OK, firmware went in to both halves of the balanced unit. Needed to re-pair the Apple. Got used to remote buttons being repurposed, and tried to do an autocal. But it has frozen at cal step 2, step 1. Tried power cycling, but the same happens.

The net effect is that the RH channel works, but the LH channel is silent.

Any idea what is going on?

Craig

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #105 on: 22 Jun 2020, 08:33 pm »
OK, firmware went in to both halves of the balanced unit. Needed to re-pair the Apple. Got used to remote buttons being repurposed, and tried to do an autocal. But it has frozen at cal step 2, step 1. Tried power cycling, but the same happens.

The net effect is that the RH channel works, but the LH channel is silent.

Any idea what is going on?

Craig

It's been quite a while since we've worked on the V2's but as I recall when doing a big firmware update on 2 boards used in balanced configuration you need to initially deal with each board as a stand alone board, get them both up and working by themselves first with display attached including running calibration 2-3 times each and only then connect them back up in balanced master/slave mode knowing they are already good to go by themselves.

Also, the fact that the left channel is not responding while the right is OK is the #1 tell that the 2 boards are not in sync. They both have to have the same firmware and be good to go alone before playing well together.

Having just re-read your note it's entirely possible that the upgrade will reveal a marginal LDR and you'll get stuck getting through cal. To confirm it's one of the LDRs gone wonky, you can swap them around and see if that unsticks the stuck cal.

craig sawyers

« Reply #106 on: 22 Jun 2020, 08:46 pm »
Thanks Morten. I'll disconnect the master/slave connection and run can on each one separately. I assume that with a dual display that should be straightforward?

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #107 on: 22 Jun 2020, 08:56 pm »
Thanks Morten. I'll disconnect the master/slave connection and run can on each one separately. I assume that with a dual display that should be straightforward?

Ideally just swap the display cable over to the other board while doing this. Make sure you pull the jumper on the slave board to make it operate like a master and then reverse that when going back to balanced.

craig sawyers

« Reply #108 on: 22 Jun 2020, 09:25 pm »
OK - that makes complete sense, thanks. It is pretty late here in the UK, but will tackle this tomorrow and let you know what I find out. Trying to mess with electronics late at night is never a good idea ;-)

craig sawyers

« Reply #109 on: 23 Jun 2020, 10:46 am »
OK - totally sorted. Problem was both master and slave were failing autocal at different places. The place in autocal each one froze could be changed by swapping around modules.

You pointed out that this could be to do with LDR characteristics changing to the extent that autocal failed. Oddly it seemed to work in 2.1.8, but 2.2.8 seems to be more sensitive to significant mismatch. Both units returned 228 by the way, so the correct version was in both boards.

Now - I just happened to have a stock of the correct LDR's. Back before I found Tortuga, I was intending to make my own LDR control. Very simple - but to get decent tracking required LDR selection. Hence the stock of LDR's!

So I spent a couple of hours desoldering the old LDR's and replacing them with new. Which was a great success - autocal worked perfectly on both boards run as separate controllers, and then autocal'd perfectly re-wired as a balanced contoller!

The upshot is that the sound quality is dramatically improved. So apart from characteristic drift, something else must have been going on with distortion or something similar.

So thanks for the diagnosis Morten - it was right on the money.

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #110 on: 23 Jun 2020, 12:08 pm »
OK - totally sorted. Problem was both master and slave were failing autocal at different places. The place in autocal each one froze could be changed by swapping around modules.

You pointed out that this could be to do with LDR characteristics changing to the extent that autocal failed. Oddly it seemed to work in 2.1.8, but 2.2.8 seems to be more sensitive to significant mismatch. Both units returned 228 by the way, so the correct version was in both boards.

Now - I just happened to have a stock of the correct LDR's. Back before I found Tortuga, I was intending to make my own LDR control. Very simple - but to get decent tracking required LDR selection. Hence the stock of LDR's!

So I spent a couple of hours desoldering the old LDR's and replacing them with new. Which was a great success - autocal worked perfectly on both boards run as separate controllers, and then autocal'd perfectly re-wired as a balanced contoller!

The upshot is that the sound quality is dramatically improved. So apart from characteristic drift, something else must have been going on with distortion or something similar.

So thanks for the diagnosis Morten - it was right on the money.

:thumb: