HAL MS-3 and dspMusik at CAF2016

KLH007

Re: HAL MS-3 and dspMusik at CAF2016
« Reply #20 on: 11 Jul 2016, 02:30 am »
I absolutely loved the the GTAW/HAL/Sound Insight/Paradox room at CAF. Greg finally got the configuration perfect, full range planar panels, and a'la carte subs suited to your room or needs/wants. The other 2 rooms with planar/electrostats mated to boxed woofers had the typical problems associated with that mix, a noticeable discontinuity at the woofer/panel crossover, and the bass has a different quality sounding thicker/boomier/boxier. My own GTA 2.5s do a nearly seamless blend as the planar runs down to 100 hz and the 2 10" drivers in a sealed enclosure only contribute form 100 hz down driven from a Hypex plate amp. However, the SI-200 Open Baffle subs from Sound Insight are a sensational and seamless match with the GTA 3R panels, adding a natural, no box bass that lets drum kits sound live in the room and organ pedal noted roll out crushing your chest. My friend visiting from Colorado mentioned to me the SI-300 type subs he uses were the only subs out of a dozen auditioned the matched up with his SoundLabs A-1 electrostats and added only positive attributes and no drawbacks. Rich Hollis' server and DAC were flawless in operation and sound, offering some of the best values in audio, and the best customer service. Rich has a similar OB pair of subs, but with 6 12" drivers, per side, total of an even dozen! I can't imagine what those provide because the SI-200s dug very deep, were great on drum kits, tight and natural on a plucked bass, and explosively loud and dynamic on bombastic material, orchestral crescendo w/bass drum, Flight of the Cosmic Hippo, and electronica like Yello. Anyone interested in a used pair of GTA 2.5s?

HAL

« Reply #21 on: 11 Jul 2016, 12:02 pm »
KLH007,
Thanks for the nice write-up!  I could see you were liking the system!  :thumb:

Art Dudley did a room write-up for Stereophile on the CAF2016 part of the website.   Guess the Danville Signal, Inc info got missed for the dspMusik as the HiRez DAC.

http://www.stereophile.com/content/caf2016-arts-friday-evening-and-saturday-morning#mWMqTPjovZzJUQm5.97

HAL

« Reply #22 on: 12 Jul 2016, 04:20 pm »
Another nice write-up by Home Theater Shack for the room at CAF2016.

http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/home-theater-audio-video-news/152689-capital-audiofest-2016-post-show-download.html

The server he refers to is the HAL MS-3 and dspMusik setup. 

HAL

« Reply #23 on: 13 Jul 2016, 02:49 am »
Wanted to add that the HAL MS-3 and Danville Signal dspMusik were being fed clean AC power by the PI Audio Group UberBUSS and DigiBUSS with Triode Pete's TWL HAL AC power cords for all connections. 

The system ran the for 3 days straight and sounded excellent.

HAL

« Reply #24 on: 26 Jul 2016, 06:29 pm »
A very nice write-up on Enjoy The Music.com by Kemper Holt of the GT Audio Works, Hollis Audio Labs and Sound Insight room at CAF2016.

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/Capital_Audiofest_2016/GT_Audio_Works_Sound_Insight_Hollis_Audio_Labs_Paradox/