Power consumption on idle

srwilsonmiami

Power consumption on idle
« on: 23 Apr 2016, 02:10 pm »
I know the Odyssey amps are designed to be left on 24/7, and I see that the power consumption of a Stratos Extreme Stereo is 35w. I think in my first conversation with Klaus, he said it's less power consumption than leaving a 60w lightbulb on. Did I get that right? Or should I expect higher power bill?
Another question is this - I understand the amp is designed to be plugged straight into the outlet. I am concerned about this because I live in Florida and thunderstorms can come and go throughout the day during the summer. Shouldn't I use some kind of surge protection?

Speedskater

• Kevin
Re: Power consumption on idle
« Reply #1 on: 23 Apr 2016, 03:04 pm »
The best place for surge protection (especially in Florida) is at the AC power service entrance/main breaker panel. These whole house protectors, avoid the problems that point of use units have.

Phil A

« Reply #2 on: 23 Apr 2016, 03:23 pm »
The best place for surge protection (especially in Florida) is at the AC power service entrance/main breaker panel. These whole house protectors, avoid the problems that point of use units have.

Yep - Had it put in while the house was going up (sat just outside the box powered by a circuit inside of the box).  Noticed the green LED was out a couple of weeks ago and they came out and had another type of unit which they put inside the box (vs. ordering another similar to what I have).  Now I'll just check it every now and then by opening the box.

srwilsonmiami

« Reply #3 on: 23 Apr 2016, 03:27 pm »
What would be a second choice for an apartment dweller?

srwilsonmiami

« Reply #4 on: 23 Apr 2016, 03:30 pm »
What about the increase in electricity on idle?

Phil A

« Reply #5 on: 23 Apr 2016, 03:33 pm »
I have a 20 amp Torus Power Conditioner in the main system on its own circuit for my amp and preamp and 2-channel stuff (it is an AV system too and I have other things plugged into 2 other 15 amp circuits).  With some power conditioners you may be better off having them plugged directly into the wall socket.  Some will constrict voltage.

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #6 on: 23 Apr 2016, 04:28 pm »
What would be a second choice for an apartment dweller?
For point of use surge protection, the best units are from Brick Wall, ZeroSurge or SurgeX but they are all pricey.

srwilsonmiami

« Reply #7 on: 23 Apr 2016, 08:26 pm »
Actually I just found out that the building does have whole house surge protection.
So, what about the electric bill power consumption question. Is it really about the same as leaving a incandescent lightbulb burning 24/7 ?

srb

« Reply #8 on: 23 Apr 2016, 09:54 pm »
Watts is watts.  35W power consumption at idle is equivalent to running a 35W light bulb, or 54% of a 60W bulb (35/60)!   ;)

Steve

audioguy213

« Reply #9 on: 24 Apr 2016, 06:01 pm »
For $20-30 if I was in FL, I would buy one of these,
http://www.bluecircle.com/page95.html

you plug it into an outlet on the same circuit as your audio gear, and any possible surge pops this toy and not your pricey gear. One of these would last you a lifetime (or until a surge that would have killed your amp instead kills it), and you can take it with you and your system wherever you go.

srwilsonmiami

« Reply #10 on: 25 Apr 2016, 01:17 pm »
Great idea, I'll be ordering a couple. Thanks!