oppo users

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
Re: oppo users
« Reply #20 on: 29 Mar 2016, 11:21 pm »
I realize that this comment will make some heads explode, but I found the oppo to be a different beast stepping away from the stock PC.  My experience is that a TWL cord moves the unit up a notch...so 8.5 instead of your assessment of 7.5 out of ten.  In other words, not world class but damned good.

OSIB16

Re: oppo user
« Reply #21 on: 30 Mar 2016, 12:30 am »
      I use awesome power cords already (DIY NEOTECH & Cardas 9.5 AWG all round). First of all have you ever listened to STATE OF THE ART hifi components? (I HAVE). A $10,000 Amp or CD PLAYER for example? Therefore I use my previous experience as a YARD STICK to compare the OPPO's against.
      There is no way in a million years that a STOCK/UNMODIFIED Oppo disc player is worthy of 8.5 OUT OF 10 by any standards. At best a STOCK/UNMODIFED OPPO is equivalent to a $1000 CD PLAYER, anyone knows that. It's loaded with JUNK WIRE and JUNK CAPS, for a start.
       What hifi are you using with your BDP-95, then we can take it from there?

I realize that this comment will make some heads explode, but I found the oppo to be a different beast stepping away from the stock PC.  My experience is that a TWL cord moves the unit up a notch...so 8.5 instead of your assessment of 7.5 out of ten.  In other words, not world class but damned good.

Phil A

« Reply #22 on: 30 Mar 2016, 12:31 am »
Except for something like the receiver in my office, I never use stock power cords.  Mostly makely my own and sometimes buy them as well.  Products are made so they can be gotten to market at a particular price point and even real expensive stuff often has a $5 power cord.

S Clark

« Reply #23 on: 30 Mar 2016, 01:05 am »
      I use awesome power cords already (DIY NEOTECH & Cardas 9.5 AWG all round). First of all have you ever listened to STATE OF THE ART hifi components? (I HAVE). A $10,000 Amp or CD PLAYER for example? Therefore I use my previous experience as a YARD STICK to compare the OPPO's against.
      There is no way in a million years that a STOCK/UNMODIFIED Oppo disc player is worthy of 8.5 OUT OF 10 by any standards. At best a STOCK/UNMODIFED OPPO is equivalent to a $1000 CD PLAYER, anyone knows that.
       What hifi are you using with your BDP-95, then we can take it from there?
Yes I've heard all the "greatest" as of a a couple of years back... did the RMAF for several years.  Then again a few months back with Danny Richie's latest prototype (you've never heard anything near this good- don't care what you think you've heard).
My speakers are GR-Research LS9's (there are better, but not many), my pre is a Dodd battery (there are better, but not by much),  upgraded Moscode 401HR (ok, there are better, but not significantly under $6000), power cords are TWL and WYwires, interconnects are Wywires.  Since this is now a pissing match, I'd suggest that your DIY PC doesn't stack up against Pete's stuff. 
Look,  one of the guys asking about the Oppo was someone who's system i've heard and I know his range.  The Oppo would be a very decent option for him, if he likes the Sabre sound.  I accept your assessment that the Oppo could equal a $1000 cd player (it basically is  $1000 player).  And I'd argue that nearly anything in our hobby goes up by powers of 10.  A cheap $100 Marantz cd would get you a 6 out of ten, an oppo 83 w/ Sabre dac could be a 7+ out of ten (at about $1000 when it was releaseed), the Oppo 95 with multiple Sabre 9018's is a step up again at a cheap price; you want to step up to 9 0f 10?  Multiply the price by 10, you want 9.5 out of ten? Multiply by 10 again?  You want the SOTA (whatever that means) multiply by stupid. 
BTW, my system is posted with my info. 
What about yours, osib16? 

MtnHam

• Industry Participant
  • SoundLab and Fritz Speakers Dealer
« Reply #24 on: 30 Mar 2016, 02:19 am »
Take the Oppo 105 and have the Modwright Truth Mod (about $2400) done, and you step it up to a $10,000+ player for a fraction of that price. It is superb!! Oh, also, I have it on Stillpoints, and fed with a Shunyata Alpha Digital PC.

Longandstraight

« Reply #25 on: 30 Mar 2016, 02:38 am »
Yep I have a full Blown Modwright 105D and will put it pretty much against anything out there under 10,000.00 Running an Aurender N100S thru the OPPO and  doesn't get much better.
That being said the stock 105 is a decent sounding unit. Great Blu-ray player though.

OSIB16

« Reply #26 on: 30 Mar 2016, 11:27 am »
OK we're getting somewhere. You just admitted that the UNMODIFIED OPPO would be equivalent to a $1000 CD PLAYER in terms of TRANSPARENCY. My question is - when did a $1000 CD sound as good as a $10,000 'STATE OF THE ART' CD PLAYER like for example a MARK LEVINSON or MERIDIAN 808? Please bear in mind that you rated your STOCK BDP-95 at an "over enthiusiastic" 8.5 OUT OF 10. (NO OFFENCE).

I've tried to explain to you that a STOCK/MODIFIED OPPO  is loaded with mostly JUNK PARTS (bell wire, unbranded caps, unbranded resistors, unbranded diodes). Now compare that to ''SUPER EXPENSIVE/EXOTIC'' hifi, which contains the finest/expensive parts (SUPER PURE 'CARDAS' COPPER WIRE, ELNA SILMICS 2 CAPS, MUNDORF SILVER/OIL FILM CAPS etc etc), and this is the reason the STOCK OPPO will not perform to anywhere near the same level as the "super exotic" MARK LEVINSON CD PLAYER.

By the way a $100 MARANTZ CD player when used in a TOP END HIFI SYSTEM will have virtually no soundstage (very flat sounding). Also it will sound significantly TREBLE SHRILL at loud volume. I myself would rate a CD Player with a FLAT SOUNDSTAGE at 4 OUT OF 10 (DREADFUL).

Yes I've heard all the "greatest" as of a a couple of years back... did the RMAF for several years.  Then again a few months back with Danny Richie's latest prototype (you've never heard anything near this good- don't care what you think you've heard).
My speakers are GR-Research LS9's (there are better, but not many), my pre is a Dodd battery (there are better, but not by much),  upgraded Moscode 401HR (ok, there are better, but not significantly under $6000), power cords are TWL and WYwires, interconnects are Wywires.  Since this is now a pissing match, I'd suggest that your DIY PC doesn't stack up against Pete's stuff. 
Look,  one of the guys asking about the Oppo was someone who's system i've heard and I know his range.  The Oppo would be a very decent option for him, if he likes the Sabre sound.  I accept your assessment that the Oppo could equal a $1000 cd player (it basically is  $1000 player).  And I'd argue that nearly anything in our hobby goes up by powers of 10.  A cheap $100 Marantz cd would get you a 6 out of ten, an oppo 83 w/ Sabre dac could be a 7+ out of ten (at about $1000 when it was releaseed), the Oppo 95 with multiple Sabre 9018's is a step up again at a cheap price; you want to step up to 9 0f 10?  Multiply the price by 10, you want 9.5 out of ten? Multiply by 10 again?  You want the SOTA (whatever that means) multiply by stupid. 
BTW, my system is posted with my info. 
What about yours, osib16?
« Last Edit: 30 Mar 2016, 02:20 pm by OSIB16 »

OSIB16

« Reply #27 on: 30 Mar 2016, 11:39 am »
As you requested, MY (MAXED OUT) HIFI SYSTEM...

TACT 2.2XP PREAMP - (MAUI MODS/ FULLY LOADED WITH 'BLACK GATE' CAPACITORS/ JUMBO SIZED CORNELL DUBILIER CAPS/ KIMBER SOLID SILVER WIRING/ FURUTECH UPOCC COPPER RCA SOCKETS/ EICHMANN SOLID SILVER RCA SOCKET/ IEGO SOLID SILVER IEC SOCKET etc etc).

ODYSSEY FRANKENSTRATOS MONOBLOCKS - (FULLY LOADED WITH 'BLACK GATE' CAPACITORS/ MILLS RESISTORS/ UPOCC SOLID SILVER WIRING/ FURUTECH UPOCC COPPER RCA SOCKETS/ FAIRCHILD STEALTH DIODES/ OCC COPPER WIRED TOROIDAL TRANSFORMERS etc etc).

MARTIN LOGAN CLS IIZ ELECTROSTATIC SPEAKERS - (MODDED/ FULLY LOADED with MUNDORF SILVER OIL CAPS/ BLACK GATE CAPS/ IEGO SOLID SILVER IEC SOCKETS/ MUNDORF COPPER RIBBON INDUCTORS etc etc).

OPPO BDP 103D (FIDELITY AUDIO/MODDED) - UPOCC COPPER WIRING, CARDAS STRANDED COPPER JUMPER WIRES/ SOLID SILVER JUPITER WIRING/ BYBEE (SOLID SILVER & COPPER) QUANTUM PURIFIERS/ FURUTECH UPOCC COPPER IEC SOCKET/  JAEHONG TORROIDAL TRANSFORMER POWER SUPPY/ ELNA SILMIC II CAPS etc etc).

GOERTZ AG2 SOLID SILVER RIBBON SPEAKER CABLES.

UPOCC SOLID SILVER ANALOGUE INTERCONNECTS.

NEOTECH NEVD2001 SOLID SILVER COAXIAL INTERCONNECTS.

OYAIDE CONTINENTAL 5S USB CABLE (UPOCC SOLID SILVER).

NEOTECH (9 AWG) UPOCC COPPER MAINS CABLES.

CARDAS 9.5 AWG COPPER MAINS CABLES.

KIMBER 12TS MAINS CABLES (FOR MAC MINI & OPPO BLURAY PLAYER).

« Last Edit: 30 Mar 2016, 02:15 pm by OSIB16 »

OSIB16

« Reply #28 on: 30 Mar 2016, 11:56 am »
FULLY LOADED TACT 2.2XP PREAMP (Maui Mods/BLACK GATE CAP' EDITION)

OSIB16

« Reply #29 on: 30 Mar 2016, 12:05 pm »
MY ODYSSEY 'MODDED' FRANKENSTRATOS...

OSIB16

« Reply #30 on: 30 Mar 2016, 01:16 pm »
M

S Clark

« Reply #31 on: 30 Mar 2016, 02:23 pm »
Not much in your system I'd swap for, except perhaps your Oppo, but it should be a nice, resolving system.   
Here's the deal.  One of the guys asking about Oppo's is a vinyl guy, and will only listen to cd's occasionally, and isn't looking for "SOTA".  I'm a vinyl guy.  I listen to a cd in my main system perhaps once every two weeks.  It just isn't where my resources go. My Oppo plays a helluva lot more Blu-Rays than cd's.   As to the X out of 10 rating system, we seem to be at different starting places, so our scales aren't the same- so arguing about 7.5 or 8.5 is just silly.  We both have nice systems, and we both have heard good sound.  You make your recommendations, I'll make mine, and if we don't agree, OK.

OSIB16

« Reply #32 on: 30 Mar 2016, 03:07 pm »
  Each to their own. Thanks for that vote of confidence. You are correct - there's nothing out there worth swapping my AMPS & SPEAKERS for, THEY really are that good :lol: But personally once I'd listened to a decent FULL RANGE STAT like the Martin Logan CLS IIz I would never go back to box speakers. No comparison in my personal opinion/taste 8). ONCE YOU TRY STAT YOU DON'T GO BACK. :thumb:

Realistically speaking though when it comes to HIFI SOUND RATINGS. The only hifi SOURCE that would actually be capable of scoring a 'PERFECT 10' would be the best VINYL DISC PLAYERS. Computer HI-DEF Audio can come close and is capable of achieving a clear 9 OUT OF 10. In third place an EXOTIC TOP-END CD player can achieve up to approximately 8 OUT OF 10. However as I already stated, a $1000 CD PLAYER will always play "Second Fiddle" to the EXOTIC CD SPINNER.

By the way my OPPO 103D (Modded) is the weakest link in my system (scoring at best 8 OUT OF 10). 8)

Not much in your system I'd swap for, except perhaps your Oppo, but it should be a nice, resolving system.   
Here's the deal.  One of the guys asking about Oppo's is a vinyl guy, and will only listen to cd's occasionally, and isn't looking for "SOTA".  I'm a vinyl guy.  I listen to a cd in my main system perhaps once every two weeks.  It just isn't where my resources go. My Oppo plays a helluva lot more Blu-Rays than cd's.   As to the X out of 10 rating system, we seem to be at different starting places, so our scales aren't the same- so arguing about 7.5 or 8.5 is just silly.  We both have nice systems, and we both have heard good sound.  You make your recommendations, I'll make mine, and if we don't agree, OK.

OSIB16

« Reply #33 on: 30 Mar 2016, 03:31 pm »
To give you a good idea of where I'm coming from. Below is a photo of my MAXED OUT OPPO BDP103D (FIDELITY AUDIO). This is an OPPO truely pushed to the LIMIT...

PARTS USED:-

THREE Fidelity Audio C4 UBER CLOCKS - $650 EACH!

THREE Bybee Large Quantum Purifiers (copper).

Furutech UPOCC COPPER IEC SOCKET.

JAE HONG Toroidal Power Supply (Elna Silmic II caps throughout).

Cardas 19.5 GAUGE Copper Jumper wires (Shielded).

Jupiter Solid Silver wires (for Clocks).

Modified DIGITAL BOARD (Nichicon and Rubycon capacitors).

Bybee Small (Solid Silver) Purifier on DIG OUT.

NEOTECH UPOCC Solid Silver Ground Wire (DIG OUT).

NEOTECH NEVD2001 Solid Silver COAX CABLE (hardwired directly to BYBEE PURIFIER from DIGITAL PCB).

S Clark

« Reply #34 on: 30 Mar 2016, 04:02 pm »
Yours is bigger.  Happy? :duh:

srb

« Reply #35 on: 30 Mar 2016, 04:34 pm »

S CLARK, I think YOU have a couple of NICE SYSTEMS with COMPLIMENTARY COMPONENTS.  Maybe if YOU used CAPS indiscriminately to describe YOURS, you wouldn't FEEL so INADEQUATE.  ;)

OSIB16

« Reply #36 on: 30 Mar 2016, 04:47 pm »
Mine looks messier :lol: Sorry if I use the CAPS, it's just that I was trying to make it easier to understand :thumb:

OSIB16

« Reply #37 on: 30 Mar 2016, 05:00 pm »
I apologise if I came across as bragging. I was just trying to share with people here what I have experienced in my system as well as other systems. I thought it would help to put things into perspective and give others some guidance.
S CLARK, I think YOU have a couple of NICE SYSTEMS with COMPLIMENTARY COMPONENTS.  Maybe if YOU used CAPS indiscriminately to describe YOURS, you wouldn't FEEL so INADEQUATE.  ;)

S Clark

« Reply #38 on: 30 Mar 2016, 05:09 pm »
Sometimes we get carried away, as we are all passionate about our hobby.

OSIB16

« Reply #39 on: 30 Mar 2016, 05:13 pm »

Yeah you're right. It's an obsession :dance:

Sometimes we get carried away, as we are all passionate about our hobby.