Audiocircle Exclusive: iTube2 Tour.

Pez

Audiocircle Exclusive: iTube2 Tour.
« on: 6 Feb 2017, 11:19 pm »
Folks, this is where we are going to post all the info from the tour. Please let me know if you have any questions. Let the games begin.  :dance:
« Last Edit: 7 Feb 2017, 12:52 am by Pez »

GentleBender

Re: Audiocircle Exclusive: iTube2 Tour.
« Reply #1 on: 7 Feb 2017, 03:07 pm »
I can't wait to get my hands on this to try in my system. First,I will try it between my Sony UDA-1 DAC and Odyssey Audio Cyclops integrated stereo. My DAC is fed from a 2014 Mac Mini with dual Samsung SSDs and some files stored on my Synology NAS. After that I will try it between my Odyssey Audio Suspiro phono stage and Odyssey Cyclops. Looking forward to this.  :singing:

Pez

« Reply #2 on: 7 Feb 2017, 04:31 pm »
I can't wait to get this bad boy in all your hands. It's one of those very special things that occasionally comes along and changes the game.

Been listening to mine nonstop. Just a gorgeous sounding piece.

charmerci

« Reply #3 on: 7 Feb 2017, 09:09 pm »
It's one of those very special things that occasionally comes along and changes the game.

Been listening to mine nonstop. Just a gorgeous sounding piece.

Though I appreciate the enthusiasm and hope it's true - statements like this sometimes sets expectations... not necessarily in a good way. I (we) may be expecting more than can be delivered. If we expect a huge change and it's only a little.....especially with some pretty amazing systems out there.

Pez

« Reply #4 on: 7 Feb 2017, 09:22 pm »

Though I appreciate the enthusiasm and hope it's true - statements like this sometimes sets expectations... not necessarily in a good way. I (we) may be expecting more than can be delivered. If we expect a huge change and it's only a little.....especially with some pretty amazing systems out there.

Great point! I agree, different strokes for different folks. I don't expect everyone to gush over it every time. The above stated is merely my opinion. That said, you all know how effusive I can be when I really love something!  :duh: I can't help it.  :green:

OzarkTom

« Reply #5 on: 7 Feb 2017, 09:25 pm »

Still writing my review, and yes, it is huge on any system. :thumb:

charmerci

« Reply #6 on: 7 Feb 2017, 10:18 pm »
Still writing my review, and yes, it is huge on any system. :thumb:

OK - I'm holding this one over you!  8)

rodge827

« Reply #7 on: 7 Feb 2017, 11:40 pm »
I have an original iTube and it did do a lot in my system. My dac at the time was a solid state nos dac. The iTube brought it to life expanding the sound stage, improved imaging, and added just enough tube goodness for a very natural sound.

I have been told the iTube2 improves on what the original iTube did.

Hope its a keeper!

bacobits1

« Reply #8 on: 8 Feb 2017, 12:07 am »
"I can't wait to get this bad boy in all your hands. It's one of those very special things that occasionally comes along and changes the game.
Been listening to mine nonstop. Just a gorgeous sounding piece."

Watch it you'll be accused of being a fan boy and having an agenda.
Oh...You are and you do.
Nevermind, carry on.

Looking forward to auditioning it!!!
« Last Edit: 8 Feb 2017, 01:23 am by bacobits1 »

OzarkTom

« Reply #9 on: 8 Feb 2017, 08:16 am »
It is tough to follow up a review by Tyson since he has written these for years. To be honest, copy and paste his would be a very accurate review since I hear the exact same thing. Once in a blue moon, does a classic like this comes around.

But since that would be cheating, I will just concentrate on what the 2 does over the 1.

My two systems that I tried it on.

System one

DAC Cherry mono amps with 30v PS
Sony Hap-1ES
Zellaton Emotions I
Reality Audio iC's
Reality Audio speaker cables
Wolf Ear Audio power cords

C&C audio system #2

Folsom modded Crown 1500 amp
Gallo Classico 1 speakers
Virtue Audip IC's and speaker cables
Stock power cords

If I had to replace system 1, It would cost me about 40 k. I paid about 20k. I love this system, very fast and detailed but also very revealing. I have right at 1k in the C&C system if you count the ITube 2.

I tried all the settings on the Itube2, my favorites on both systems were Xbass+12db, 3D+30 degrees, and SET. I also hooked up a Set amp, pp was the best for that. With a click of a button,you can turn these off.

3D circuits sounds like a gimmick, not so with IFI. The 3d in the past never focused or pinpointed the vocals or instruments. The Itubes do. That is a strong attribute of IFI.

So how does the ITube 1 and 2 compare? I have my Itube1 highly tweaked with a cryo treatment, Astron PS, and a cryo treated special power cord, the Itube 2 of course is stock with a 15v Ipower.

Not even close. Since mine was tweaked to the max I was hoping for a close race. That way I did not have to buy the  2.

1. Best 3D experience-2
2. Lowest noice floor-2
3.best bass-2
4. Best clarity-2
5.best vocals-2
6.best detail on percussion instruments-2
7.Best realism-2
8.best on Internet radio-2-and by far

Well, I think you get the picture. The 2 beats the modded 1 in every area and it was a huge difference. I keep trying to figure why, even pinching myself to make sure this is not a dream.

The 2 made both of my systems sound better and it did on every song and artist. Did I buy my own before the tour unit left the building? A big yes

IFI is calling this a game changer. It is for me since my music library enjoyment has now doubled and tripled on my music server, and it has grown 100 fold with the better internet radio streaming. Jimi Hendrix and Led Zep can sound this good?

Music that I used in this review includes Sophie Millman, Diana Krall, Melody Gardot, Hallie Loren, Eva Cassidy, Jill Scott, Cowboy Junkies, And many of my favorite rock artists, Beatles, Eric Burdon and War, Eagles, Steve Miller Band, Bee Gees, America, Bread, Queen, Ambrosia, Pink Floyd, Donovan, CCR, Led Zep, Cat Stevens, Heart, Johnny Cash, Jackson Browne and on and on. I am now in Rock and Roll heaven.

Highly recommended and I give this the product of the decade award. :thumb:

Thank you very much Jason, funnest tour yet. It has been an honor.

Note: The shipping will cost you about 10 bucks, so get on the next tour.
« Last Edit: 8 Feb 2017, 12:09 pm by OzarkTom »

witchdoctor

« Reply #10 on: 11 Feb 2017, 01:49 am »
Thanks OzarkTom, I liked the review

martyo

« Reply #11 on: 11 Feb 2017, 02:57 am »
I bought one from Music Direct on Wednesday, free shipping, got it on Thursday.
« Last Edit: 11 Feb 2017, 11:52 am by martyo »

Philistine

« Reply #12 on: 11 Feb 2017, 02:27 pm »
A question to OzarkTom....

I have 2 systems, both using Tommy's In Line Maraschino's.  My second system is:
Squeezebox Duet - Streaming Tidal & FLAC through ROON.
Tommy's DAC DAC
Musical Fidelity Pre6 preamp
GR Research N2X speakers

In the past I had an Eddie Vaughn Carina SET amp, deeply regret selling it and miss the signature SET sound.  So my question is: did you use the iTube2 as a buffer, or did you use it as a preamp and control the volume?  I'm debating using it as a buffer with the MF preamp or replacing it completely.

If anyone has any feedback on the different sound signatures (SET/Push Pull) that would be appreciated.   

martinr

« Reply #13 on: 11 Feb 2017, 05:50 pm »
Is it possible to get added to the tour?

SFDude

« Reply #14 on: 11 Feb 2017, 08:13 pm »
Nice review OzarkTom! I'm towards the end of the tour and will likely add a healthy dose of skepticism on this product. I owned the X-10 from Musical Fidelity a long time ago and it either a) didn't do anything or b) made it worse in my subjective opinion. I'm a detail freak but like the tube sound, which sounds a bit contradictory but you'd be surprised how tubes make music sing on electrostatic speakers. :)

In any case, looking forward to getting a hold of the unit and thoroughly noting my impressions with comparisons to the existing system.

Phil A

« Reply #15 on: 11 Feb 2017, 08:42 pm »
Thanks to everyone for their comments. I'm going to try one for my desk top system.  It will be here in a few days.  I can always find a use for it on one of the systems.

OzarkTom

« Reply #16 on: 11 Feb 2017, 10:09 pm »
Nice review OzarkTom! I'm towards the end of the tour and will likely add a healthy dose of skepticism on this product. I owned the X-10 from Musical Fidelity a long time ago and it either a) didn't do anything or b) made it worse in my subjective opinion. I'm a detail freak but like the tube sound, which sounds a bit contradictory but you'd be surprised how tubes make music sing on electrostatic speakers. :)

In any case, looking forward to getting a hold of the unit and thoroughly noting my impressions with comparisons to the existing system.

If you like detail, you will love the Itbbe 2. I am the same way.

I heard stuff I never heard before.

GentleBender

« Reply #17 on: 12 Feb 2017, 12:45 am »
So the iFi iTube 2 arrived on Thursday night and I've had it going since then for break-in. Going to give it some time before critical listening. Pez said to give it 50 hours or so before judging. Here are some pics of unboxing and where I have it for the review.

Here is my current setup http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=systems;area=browse;system=2121 Yes, I am a geek.  :green:

May not be the top dollar stuff, but it sounds better than I thought I'd ever have. If you pay close attention you will notice that most of this stuff was purchased from vendors right here on Audiocircle. Really enjoy the community here and have had great experiences with all the vendors and amazing members.

Right now I have it connected to the Sony UDA-1 I picked up over a year ago. I was excited to start working on the digital side for the many conveniences it offers compared to vinyl. Vinyl is my love, but sometimes convenience is better. The only problem was that I HATED the sound that the Sony UDA-1 produced. It was super detailed, harsh and all life was sucked out of the music. I let it burn-in for weeks, tried different cables before realizing I would need to spend much more time and money to build something comparable to my vinyl rig. I gave up due to real world budget issues.

The only thing I can say at the moment is that I do like what I am hearing now. More to come soon!! Files used for this review will range from old MP3s, Apple lossless and DSD.
« Last Edit: 12 Feb 2017, 12:17 pm by GentleBender »

Philistine

« Reply #18 on: 12 Feb 2017, 07:39 pm »
Pez/Tyson

Thanks for the precious review and facilitating the tour - I'm going to get one of these regardless of the tour, it looks a fun/flexible piece go gear.  I looked at the Music Direct website and could only find the earlier version, does anyone have a recommendation where to buy it?

I had the Musical Fidelity tube buffer a couple of years ago and thought it did squat in my system.  I've had, and continue to have tubes, in my systems and conclude that having them somewhere in the equipment chain is a must for me

On the initial Tyson review thread another member asked about the difference in using it as a preamp vs a tube buffer, I asked the same question here also.  It would help other potential purchasers if the reviewers in the tour could explain where and how they used it in their systems (preamp vs buffer) and how the different functions impact the sound. 

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #19 on: 12 Feb 2017, 07:45 pm »